can you get $$ from law schools by threatening to transfer? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
inkincorporate

New

can you get $$ from law schools by threatening to transfer?

Post by inkincorporate » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm a 1L at Fordham Law, and I'm currently attending with no aid. I'm not taking that much in loans because I have a fair amount saved to pay for law school. I did very well this semester, and I should be able to transfer to either NYU or Columbia. However, I really like Fordham and I would like to stay there. Assuming I get an acceptance from NYU or Columbia, would it be feasible to use that acceptance as leverage to try to get some financial aid from Fordham, and if yes, how should I go about doing that? Thanks for your help!

ran12

Silver

Re: can you get $$ from law schools by threatening to transfer?

Post by ran12 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:07 pm

If you are accepted, you should prob go talk to your Dean of Students and see what happens. Every school is different and some will play ball while others won't. Emphasize how much you love Fordham and want to stay but have financial considerations to take into account. Unless Fordham's willing to give you substantial aid, I would just transfer b/c the money you might save is miniscule in comparison to the opportunities/payoff you might have out of Columbia or NYU but that's assuming you continue to do well once you transfer.

dietcoke0

Silver

Re: can you get $$ from law schools by threatening to transfer?

Post by dietcoke0 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Work on getting LOR now

Return to “Choosing a Law School”