NYU vs. MVP for boston Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jacksonmead

New

NYU vs. MVP for boston

Post by jacksonmead » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Do people think there's a significant difference in boston biglaw placement? It seems that NYU's advantage over the lower T10 is in new york. Either will be at sticker but with no debt. I would really rather not be in Manhattan for three years.

I would love some informed opinions. Many thanks.

duckmoney

Silver

Re: NYU vs. MVP for boston

Post by duckmoney » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Most likely wouldn't matter much. Go to the school where you would be happiest / most likely to get good grades.

If you could get into Chicago or Columbia, those schools would give a small but significant boost in placement prospects.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:06 pm

jacksonmead wrote: I would really rather not be in Manhattan for three years.
Penn will probably do just as well in Boston as NYU. Probably fewer Michigan and Virginia grads in Boston just because of geography, so you would probably be at a slight disadvantage realtive to N or P.

No reason to subject yourself to Manhattan if you don't want to be there.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:03 pm

NYU might have a slight advantage still but it's mostly academic. So few people from any of these schools will go to Boston that the numbers are just not there to justify claiming one is better than another.

The only thing I'd do is try to get a list of Boston firms that interview on campus at each school. NYU has pretty much every Boston office come to EIW—including smaller Boston firms like Choate and Nutter, and some very small satellites of national firms like Dechert, Latham, Skadden. This might not be true somewhere like Michigan, if only due to physical proximity, and that could end up being a big disadvantage if your heart is set on Boston.

Also, I hope you have ties to Boston or at least New England. It's a real uphill battle interviewing in Boston otherwise.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:22 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:NYU might have a slight advantage still but it's mostly academic. So few people from any of these schools will go to Boston that the numbers are just not there to justify claiming one is better than another.

The only thing I'd do is try to get a list of Boston firms that interview on campus at each school. NYU has pretty much every Boston office come to EIW—including smaller Boston firms like Choate and Nutter, and some very small satellites of national firms like Dechert, Latham, Skadden. This might not be true somewhere like Michigan, if only due to physical proximity, and that could end up being a big disadvantage if your heart is set on Boston.

Also, I hope you have ties to Boston or at least New England. It's a real uphill battle interviewing in Boston otherwise.
This is good advice. It didn't occur to me at first, but NYU's size may work in its favor in this department. Smaller offices are more likely to come to a school with a class of ~400 in the Northeast than a school with a class of ~250. You should do some digging to see if this has a big effect on who comes to recruit at Penn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jacksonmead

New

Post by jacksonmead » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:44 pm

I have very solid ties.

I suppose the question is whether mass mailing the smaller firms will give me a decent shot compared to OCI at NYU. Probably not quite?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:57 pm

I can't speak to MVP but tons of Boston offices were represented at NYU's OCI. I know a few people working in Boston (though most had some kind of ties to New England beforehand). Someone else mentioned it, but all the best Boston firms were there, including the smaller, but still very selective, Boston firms like Nutter and Choate. You will certainly get great exposure to Boston firms/offices through NYU OCI, but I think any opportunity on Boston will be predicated on sufficient ties.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”