Lets try this again: Southern Schools good for jobs in NC. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Lets try this again: Southern Schools good for jobs in NC.

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Doesn't matter since you will get into UNC, but don't go to Campbell. Just don't.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:18 pm

c3pO4 wrote:uva and duke are south, not southeast
Here, we learn that North Carolina is not southeast.
c3pO4 wrote:
Hjones33 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:literally have never met 1 vandy grad in SE region biglaw. show me a single firm profile
I could be the fool here as you probably are just a flame but... King & Spalding (Atlanta BigLaw) has over 20 people from Vandy.
ok but we are talking about NC....
Here, we learn that the only thing we mean when we say southeast is North Carolina.

Got my answer: troll. In retrospect this was obvious.

FightingCamel

New

Post by FightingCamel » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:23 pm

[/quote]
dextermorgan wrote:Doesn't matter since you will get into UNC, but don't go to Campbell. Just don't.
Heh, no worries there. I'd applied there because 1. It's free. 2. Just to see how much scholarship money I'd receive. In this economy, I would be very skeptical about going to a school that isn't even in the T100.

And just for the record, NC, Georgia, and Virginia are all in "the South" and the Southeastern part of the US. Never met anyone who claimed that those were distinct regions...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:25 pm

I'd suggest Duke ED (or alternatively UVA ED). Your GPA is strong and I don't think the 166 will totally kill you. If your options end up being between UNC and Vandy sticker, go to UNC (but consider a re-take).

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:57 pm

keg411 wrote:I'd suggest Duke ED (or alternatively UVA ED). Your GPA is strong and I don't think the 166 will totally kill you. If your options end up being between UNC and Vandy sticker, go to UNC (but consider a re-take).
Yes I would do this. Duke ED II deadline is soon so I would do that. If you don't get in I would immediately ED UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:51 am

top30man wrote:
keg411 wrote:I'd suggest Duke ED (or alternatively UVA ED). Your GPA is strong and I don't think the 166 will totally kill you. If your options end up being between UNC and Vandy sticker, go to UNC (but consider a re-take).
Yes I would do this. Duke ED II deadline is soon so I would do that. If you don't get in I would immediately ED UVA.
Errr... Keep in mind UNC is going to be cheaper than each of these other options and they might not give you a huge advantage in NC. If you care about cost, think twice before shooting off a Duke/UVA ED app.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:36 am

JustE wrote:
top30man wrote:
Errr... Keep in mind UNC is going to be cheaper than each of these other options and they might not give you a huge advantage in NC. If you care about cost, think twice before shooting off a Duke/UVA ED app.
I think duke is at a major advantage v. UNC. Plus, OP would have far more market options if NC doesn't work out.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:39 am

c3pO4 wrote:You will crush in NC with an Emory degree
You consistently give horrible advice, please stop.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:04 am

top30man wrote:
JustE wrote:
top30man wrote:
I think duke is at a major advantage v. UNC. Plus, OP would have far more market options if NC doesn't work out.
True, OP would have far more market options. If we're talking options, Duke's the obvious pick. If we're talking employment in a small to medium sized city in North Carolina, I doubt Duke will make a huge difference. A month ago, I thought otherwise. A few weeks ago I spoke with two recent Duke grads who didn't think it helped much in the state.

Think about it. How many Duke grads stay in NC? UNC grads are everywhere. The state loves UNC, while a significant number of people see Duke as insular and elitist. We're not talking about breaking into large markets. We're talking about Greensboro, Durham, Winston Salem, Charlotte, etc. Relationships and grades will matter as much, if not more, than prestige. Locals see them as #1 and #2 in the state (Some people would even place UNC in the former). There might be a large national difference between the two, but inside the state I'm not sure they're really that far off. It's a HUGE rivalry and UNC people take care of their own. More than anything I'm not so sure it would be worth the price difference imho. With that said, as a life long Blue Devils fan, I could never set foot in a UNC classroom. :lol:

Just my thoughts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:19 am

While OP wants to stay in NC, he/she doesn't appear to be absolutely married to NC and schools like Duke and UVA will open up more doors in the legal profession in general, whereas OP will need to be a the top of the class to get a decent job from UNC and law school grading is never a sure thing. I mean, if OP just wants a state clerkship and then to do small law in small town NC, then there is nothing wrong with just going to UNC on the cheap. If OP has bigger dreams, then Duke/UVA is TCR.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:21 pm

If you applied earlier you would be looking at close to a full ride from wake, which is not a bad option if you are good with staying in nc. They give $ away like candy now so you still might get some but prob wont know until late in the game. Big law/boutiques are obtainable if you are inside top 25%.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:30 pm

If you went to undergrad in NC, I say ED UVA. If you do not, ED Duke. If you're into public interest/government, I say go to UNC.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:52 pm

whitman wrote:If you went to undergrad in NC, I say ED UVA. If you do not, ED Duke. If you're into public interest/government, I say go to UNC.
Wait, wouldn't PI or Gov be harder at UNC and easier at UVA/Duke?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:56 pm

If you want to do PI in NC, UNC is great for that, from my understanding. If OP is thinking national stuff, or non-NC stuff, then that changes.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:22 pm

This thread is still around advising someone to go to UNC?! You realize half their graduates will not get any job using a law degree. Duke, UVA should not even be in the same discussion. Oh I talked to two Duke grads herp derp....

UNC will guarantee that when you are unemployed, it will be in NC. Anything else said here is by 0L lemmings. Wake up people!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:30 pm

c3pO4 wrote:This thread is still around advising someone to go to UNC?! You realize half their graduates will not get any job using a law degree. Duke, UVA should not even be in the same discussion. Oh I talked to two Duke grads herp derp....

UNC will guarantee that when you are unemployed, it will be in NC. Anything else said here is by 0L lemmings. Wake up people!
This from the guy who hasn't met a single Vandy grad in the SE? Get real. No law school guarantees employment. Not even Duke/UVA. I definitely wouldn't mention them in the same sentence nationally, but in NC, UNC warrants discussion, especially at a significant savings. Without question, UNC is a much better choice than Emory. Hell, most people looking for work in Atlanta would choose UGA over Emory. Why in hell should someone wanting work in NC go there?

OP, Duke and UVA are amazing schools and if you get in, you should consider them. I just don't agree with ED'ing to somewhere you're not in love with. Apply to them both. If you get in, fine. I just don't know that it's a good idea to tie your hands when you might get big money at UNC when you're already paying $45k less to attend in-state.

Again, just my thoughts. Good luck.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:07 pm

JustE wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:This thread is still around advising someone to go to UNC?! You realize half their graduates will not get any job using a law degree. Duke, UVA should not even be in the same discussion. Oh I talked to two Duke grads herp derp....

This from the guy who hasn't met a single Vandy grad in the SE? Get real. No law school guarantees employment. Not even Duke/UVA. I definitely wouldn't mention them in the same sentence nationally, but in NC, UNC warrants discussion, especially at a significant savings. Without question, UNC is a much better choice than Emory. Hell, most people looking for work in Atlanta would choose UGA over Emory. Why in hell should someone wanting work in NC go there?

OP, Duke and UVA are amazing schools and if you get in, you should consider them. I just don't agree with ED'ing to somewhere you're not in love with. Apply to them both. If you get in, fine. I just don't know that it's a good idea to tie your hands when you might get big money at UNC when you're already paying $45k less to attend in-state.

I wouldn't put Emory in the same sentance as UVA and Duke either, which I've already said.

You actually think because the limited number of grads that UNC does place only can get work in NC means that UNC is a good bet for NC? Sure, not everyone gets a job at Duke/UVA. But you are comparing apples to apples, and UNC is a rotten one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:33 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
JustE wrote:

I wouldn't put Emory in the same sentance as UVA and Duke either, which I've already said.

You actually think because the limited number of grads that UNC does place only can get work in NC means that UNC is a good bet for NC? Sure, not everyone gets a job at Duke/UVA. But you are comparing apples to apples, and UNC is a rotten one.
:lol:

That's all you get. Good luck, OP.

FightingCamel

New

Post by FightingCamel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks again for the help-you guys have certainly given me alot to think about.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:47 pm

c3pO4 wrote:uva and duke are south, not southeast. plus they are t14 so it does't matter. any t14 is obviously better. vandy is not better than emory for biglaw placement. emory can get you biglaw in NC no problem if you are top 30-40%.
I'm sorry I just have to reiterate: LOL

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:49 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:uva and duke are south, not southeast. plus they are t14 so it does't matter. any t14 is obviously better. vandy is not better than emory for biglaw placement. emory can get you biglaw in NC no problem if you are top 30-40%.
I'm sorry I just have to reiterate: LOL
Yeah.. I really hope that guy doesn't take his own advice... :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:54 pm

nyc law wrote:You consistently give horrible advice, please stop.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:05 pm

NYC Law wrote:

You know how to use the quoting system!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:23 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

You know how to use the quoting system!
:lol:

^ You don't know when to stop, do you?

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:40 pm

UNC is a quality school. It doesn't get much talk here, because NC isn't so popular. For NC, it's def better than Emory, which isn't bad either.

Neither is worth sticker. Neither gives big money (relative to their peers). My $ to Emory was less than ND and superiors like USC and WUSTL.

Obviously, Duke and UVa are elite, and much better. If u have ties, any top 14 is yiur besy bet. I'm personally opposed to taking the money and running to a top 50 over a top 10, because COL is still 60k minimum. I don't like betting, but I double down when I have good cards, and UVa/Duke are good cards.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”