A question regarding bar exam eligibility, Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
polkadots727

New

A question regarding bar exam eligibility,

Post by polkadots727 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:11 pm

I am Canadian and there is one thing that has been troubling me for a while now. I recently stumbled across a blog (forgot the name) of an International student who was accepted into a law school in the states. He studied there and when it was time for him to take the bar exam, he was horrified by the fact that the specific state did not allow non-residents/international students to take the bar exam. So he ended up taking bar exams for different states and kind of ended up screwing himself up.

I have applied to schools in Virginia, Massachusetts, Minnesota, California, Washington, and Missouri. Can anyone please help me out?? Finding this out will help me choose which law school I will attend! Thank you so much!

piccolittle

Silver

Re: A question regarding bar exam eligibility,

Post by piccolittle » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:14 pm

I think maybe what you might be referring to is an international student who did an LLM in the US? Many states do not allow you to take the bar without doing a JD, but I've never heard of any state excluding bar takers on the basis of national origin.

Also, you can look up eligibility requirements here: http://www.ncbex.org/bar-admissions/

polkadots727

New

Post by polkadots727 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:07 am

piccolittle wrote:I think maybe what you might be referring to is an international student who did an LLM in the US? Many states do not allow you to take the bar without doing a JD, but I've never heard of any state excluding bar takers on the basis of national origin.

Also, you can look up eligibility requirements here: http://www.ncbex.org/bar-admissions/
Thank you so much for your reply! I was referring to an international student doing a JD in US. Yeah, it sounded a bit peculiar to me as well, but that blog just freaked me out :(

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:24 pm

polkadots727 wrote:I am Canadian and there is one thing that has been troubling me for a while now. I recently stumbled across a blog (forgot the name) of an International student who was accepted into a law school in the states. He studied there and when it was time for him to take the bar exam, he was horrified by the fact that the specific state did not allow non-residents/international students to take the bar exam. So he ended up taking bar exams for different states and kind of ended up screwing himself up.

I have applied to schools in Virginia, Massachusetts, Minnesota, California, Washington, and Missouri. Can anyone please help me out?? Finding this out will help me choose which law school I will attend! Thank you so much!
I believe Arkansas, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire require you to be a US citizen to take the bar. p. 13

polkadots727

New

Post by polkadots727 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:29 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
polkadots727 wrote:I am Canadian and there is one thing that has been troubling me for a while now. I recently stumbled across a blog (forgot the name) of an International student who was accepted into a law school in the states. He studied there and when it was time for him to take the bar exam, he was horrified by the fact that the specific state did not allow non-residents/international students to take the bar exam. So he ended up taking bar exams for different states and kind of ended up screwing himself up.

I believe Arkansas, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire require you to be a US citizen to take the bar. p. 13
Thank you so much for your help!!! :D :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”