Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
catwomangirl

Bronze

Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Post by catwomangirl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:16 pm

This is somewhat hypothetical at this point, but assuming private sector, debt averse, what do y'all think?

Campagnolo

Silver

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Post by Campagnolo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:19 pm

catwomangirl wrote:This is somewhat hypothetical at this point, but assuming private sector, debt averse, what do y'all think?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:21 pm

catwomangirl wrote:This is somewhat hypothetical at this point, but assuming private sector, debt averse, what do y'all think?

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:22 pm

10% hypothetical. I have an existent shot at this scholly, and I am T6 secure. Just wondering what everyone thought, since you all are very knowledgeable about law schools etc.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:25 pm

catwomangirl wrote: This is somewhat hypothetical at this point, but assuming private sector, debt averse, what do y'all think?
I think you should not ask about things that have not yet happened.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:27 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
catwomangirl wrote: This is somewhat hypothetical at this point, but assuming private sector, debt averse, what do y'all think?

Sorry if it's coming off at presumptuous. Not my intention at all.

I just thought it could be useful to someone at some point, even if I turn out not to be the lucky one. (Also I like daydreaming about possible futures.)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:28 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:48 pm

catwomangirl wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

I just thought it could be useful to someone at some point, even if I turn out not to be the lucky one. (Also I like daydreaming about possible futures.)
You might like daydreaming about them, but others don't like talking about them. HTH.

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
catwomangirl wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

You might like daydreaming about them, but others don't like talking about them. HTH.

We're talking about it right now! :)

Jk

Well thanks for your feedback, those that gave it re the original question. For the rest of you, I expect actual answers if (hopefully) I am able to ask this as a concrete question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:15 pm

There is an argument for T3 over fullride at Cornell, but no good argument for CCN over Cornell. Firms are only slightly more selective (in the aggregate) from Cornell compared to CCN. And you'll save a shit load of money.

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
There is an argument for T3 over fullride at Cornell, but no good argument for CCN over Cornell. Firms are only slightly more selective (in the aggregate) from Cornell compared to CCN. And you'll save a shit load of money.
Thanks!

(I really appreciate your taking my post seriously)

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
LOL how law school has changed you! A lot of people have gotten a lot more realistic about things now that they've gone through 1L.

In fairness the fact that NYU and CLS have p/f LRW and only 3 doctrinal classes per semester is actually more important than almost any other factor when choosing between them and Cornell. But if you have close to a full ride at Cornell then you should suck it up and take the brutal Cornell 1L workload (4 graded doctrinal classes AND graded LRW each semester).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:18 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
LOL how law school has changed you! A lot of people have gotten a lot more realistic about things now that they've gone through 1L.

In fairness the fact that NYU and CLS have p/f LRW and only 3 doctrinal classes per semester is actually more important than almost any other factor when choosing between them and Cornell. But if you have close to a full ride at Cornell then you should suck it up and take the brutal Cornell 1L workload (4 graded doctrinal classes AND graded LRW each semester).
I've always been a "take the money at a lower T14" guy. I'd have taken a full ride at a lower T14 over HYS too. But there is at least an argument for HYS.

4 doctrinal classes isn't hard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:59 am

I'd be curious if CCN would bargain against Cornell money.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:05 am

Unless HYS you shouldnt even think about T6 at sticker when you have a lower T14 for free.

Good luck obtaining that scholly

Nobody

Bronze

Post by Nobody » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:41 am

I don't really understand the pile on against legitimate hypotheticals. Even if the OP doesn't have to make this choice, someone probably will.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Nobody wrote:I don't really understand the pile on against legitimate hypotheticals. Even if the OP doesn't have to make this choice, someone probably will.
There should be some sort of mechanism for limiting the amount of bullshit that gets spewed on these forums, don't you think?

Anyhow, they gave us a garbage hypothetical. (Nearly) full ride at Cornell versus Yale, versus Harvard, versus Stanford, and versus CCN are all separate cases (and yes I'm trolling each and every one of the CCN schools there). And what is a "nearly" full ride anyhow?

Basically get down to brass tacks or GTFO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:44 pm

ahduth wrote:
Nobody wrote:I don't really understand the pile on against legitimate hypotheticals. Even if the OP doesn't have to make this choice, someone probably will.
There should be some sort of mechanism for limiting the amount of bullshit that gets spewed on these forums, don't you think?

Anyhow, they gave us a garbage hypothetical. (Nearly) full ride at Cornell versus Yale, versus Harvard, versus Stanford, and versus CCN are all separate cases (and yes I'm trolling each and every one of the CCN schools there). And what is a "nearly" full ride anyhow?

Basically get down to brass tacks or GTFO.

Nearly full ride is what it says it is. Think 70-90%.
I think it would be a poor decision to give specifics in a public forum. A little thing called protecting my privacy.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:54 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

i get the feeling that maybe the brutality is why cornell places decent. I'm not really sure how you get a full ride at cornell but have to pay sticker at a T6. any decent scholarship options at mich or penn? I'm only a 1L at Cornell but the overall vibe I get from the 2L's regarding job placement is much more positive than I'd expect. So if you can go there for free its probably a good bet.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:30 pm

FlanAl wrote:I'm not really sure how you get a full ride at cornell but have to pay sticker at a T6.
It's because she doesn't know yet.

I'd still be curious to know if Cornell money was negotiable at CCN. I didn't apply to Cornell because their application irritated me.

Wart

Bronze

Post by Wart » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:35 pm

I find it ironic that people on here are constantly blasted for asking hypothetical questions because such questions are a waste of time, when clearly, people on this site have no problem wasting time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:40 pm

FYI: Had a nearly full ride at Cornell (135k). 0 at top 6. Went with $$ at top 10.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Follow the money. Graduating with little debt will open far more doors than the T6 degree will.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Wart wrote:I find it ironic that people on here are constantly blasted for asking hypothetical questions because such questions are a waste of time, when clearly, people on this site have no problem wasting time.
Not a waste of time, the whole purpose of this site is to waste time. It's the bullshit that gets people's dander up.

minnesotamike

New

Post by minnesotamike » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:07 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Ugh, don't say this shit. It's not productive. In fact, it's counterproductive.

Have you heard of the 1-9-90 rule for social media? If not, educate yourself.

The vast majority of the people who consume social media (e.g. this post) are not the OP. I guarantee that some people are going through this decision right now and this thread would be of value to them.

In fact, the vast majority of people benefiting from this site will never register. If you don't educate yourself, you may not realize that they exist. But there they are. Watching, reading, learning. Until you start spewing ignorant shit like that.

-HYS secure

-Sent from my iPad

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”