Regional vs Best School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Regional vs Best School

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:35 pm

So what is more important picking the best school in the region or picking the best school you can get into. For example, I know I want to work in DC. Would it make sense for me to go to Georgetown because that is by far the best school in DC or would it make sense for me to go to the best school I can get into (don't know what that will be yet) like NYU or Penn?

FlanAl

Silver

Re: Regional vs Best School

Post by FlanAl » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:55 pm

depends on scholarships etc. UVa would probably be a good choice for DC I think they do the best there after YHS. TLS likes to hate on georgetown. It might be better to re-title the thread something like georgetown or T6 for DC. When I saw regional vs. best I thought this was going to be like a Loyola Chicago vs. Bloomington thread.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:05 pm

DC is exceptional in that they have no loyalty to local schools. Do you literally mean DC or was that just a hypo?

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:29 pm

FlanAl wrote:I thought this was going to be like a Loyola Chicago vs. Bloomington thread.
+1

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:42 pm

With a 173/3.7, you should apply to all of the T-14 law schools & then examne your options after any offers of financial aid or scholarships are made, or you could take the expedited route & apply ED to Virginia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:41 pm

I'm going to go further than IAFG, and say don't go to law school aiming for DC big law. Other than HYS, you gotta be damn near the top of your class to get a callback there.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm going to go further than IAFG, and say don't go to law school aiming for DC big law. Other than HYS, you gotta be damn near the top of your class to get a callback there.
+1. DC was an absolute bloodbath this past year. Maybe it gets better for future classes, but right now going into OCI with the goal of DC or bust is a horrible idea. I would plan on aiming for at least one other market that you would be happy to work in (and pick a school with that other market + minimizing debt in mind).

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:22 pm

why the heck is DC so tough? Do that many people want to go there?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:06 pm

ahnhub wrote:why the heck is DC so tough? Do that many people want to go there?
People who want to do regulatory/appeals/be future gov. employees flood the market. Not only do you have Gtwon/GW in DC, but top of the class at T30s apply too - like NY, but NY has a lot more jobs available. If you look at DC summer classes, its typically a mix of HYSCC, other T14s, then a sprinkling of top 10% LR types from places like WUSTL, BC, BU, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”