POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

NYU @ Sticker
82%
$9500/yr scholly @ UT
18%

Total votes: 129

Cornelius

Silver

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Post by Cornelius » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Real Madrid wrote:NYU and it's not even close.

apollo13

Bronze

Post by apollo13 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:27 am

I'm just overwhelmed by finals, so here you go NYU! you fucking cocksucker

--ImageRemoved--

tuckerp

New

Post by tuckerp » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:41 pm

If it were me (as you asked) I think UT by a comfortable margin... I certainly wouldn't say "it's not even close, go to UT" though.

I couldn't sleep at night if I owed someone $200k... I'm not using that as a figure of speech, I mean I really would have some emotional issues if I owed that much money on anything other than a house... and even then I'd lose sleep if I didn't have a fair amount of equity in the house.

Everyone has their own career goals and mine is to make enough money to become debt free, own a home, and stash up enough money to retire as soon as possible... I think UT does that more efficiently. If I were you, I'd evaluate this not as a payoff of salary, but by wage... if you go to NYU you'll make $55-60/hour and if you go to Texas you'll make $40-45/hour... just do the math on how many additional hours you'll need to work to pay the Dept. of Education back and then you can make a better decision as to whether NYU is worth the sacrifice.

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:08 am

tuckerp wrote:If it were me (as you asked) I think UT by a comfortable margin... I certainly wouldn't say "it's not even close, go to UT" though.

I couldn't sleep at night if I owed someone $200k... I'm not using that as a figure of speech, I mean I really would have some emotional issues if I owed that much money on anything other than a house... and even then I'd lose sleep if I didn't have a fair amount of equity in the house.

Everyone has their own career goals and mine is to make enough money to become debt free, own a home, and stash up enough money to retire as soon as possible... I think UT does that more efficiently. If I were you, I'd evaluate this not as a payoff of salary, but by wage... if you go to NYU you'll make $55-60/hour and if you go to Texas you'll make $40-45/hour... just do the math on how many additional hours you'll need to work to pay the Dept. of Education back and then you can make a better decision as to whether NYU is worth the sacrifice.
You can also add to this (as also discussed earlier in the thread) the difference in cost of living. Dallas actually has the best "buying power" for the average lawyer in the US (source: http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/10/27/law ... od=WSJBlog).

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:20 am

tuckerp wrote:If it were me (as you asked) I think UT by a comfortable margin... I certainly wouldn't say "it's not even close, go to UT" though.

So, your conclusion is fine. But your reasoning sucks. If you actually think that you'll make $15 more per hour from NYU (why you think this, I have no idea, but let's roll with it), then if you have 100k more debt from NYU you'll make that difference up after working 6,667 hours. So by the end of year 4 it would already be more worthwhile to go to NYU in your hypothetical scenario.

I think it's a question of where OP wants to work. I'm at NYU and have a serious interest in working in TX. It's not impractical to get there, but you have a networking disadvantage to UT students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Wut?

LawSchoolChampion

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolChampion » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:03 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Texas for Texas employment & for better barbeque.

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Cornelius wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:NYU and it's not even close.

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:09 am

It's a rare person who hath no preference between living in NYC and living in Austin. Visit both and decide where you'd rather be for the next three years of your life.

That being said, NYU will give you a wider array of opportunities in what you are interested in (corporate law and litigation) and $9,500/yr is not a very big scholarship at the end of the day. Tie goes to NYU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tuckerp

New

Post by tuckerp » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:45 pm

mrloblaw wrote:

Wut?
In either location you're going to work 3000-3300 hours/ year... in one location you'll make 125-145k and in the other you'll make 155-180k... this is rough math but the hourly figures I threw out there are roughly correct. And yes, even if it that comes out to a 4 year difference I would still say Texas... I don't think it's worth being a slave for 4 additional years

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:53 pm

tuckerp wrote: In either location you're going to work 3000-3300 hours/ year... in one location you'll make 125-145k and in the other you'll make 155-180k... this is rough math but the hourly figures I threw out there are roughly correct. And yes, even if it that comes out to a 4 year difference I would still say Texas... I don't think it's worth being a slave for 4 additional years
Wut?[/quote]

In either location you're going to work 3000-3300 hours/ year... in one location you'll make 125-145k and in the other you'll make 155-180k... this is rough math but the hourly figures I threw out there are roughly correct. And yes, even if it that comes out to a 4 year difference I would still say Texas... I don't think it's worth being a slave for 4 additional years
[/quote]

Most Texas firms pay 160K.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”