164/3.9 is it worth applying to UVA & GW? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
northside

Bronze

164/3.9 is it worth applying to UVA & GW?

Post by northside » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Not looking for BigLaw. More Public Interest minded. I already submitted other apps so I realize it is a little late in the game. My only real reach is UTAustin and looking at LSN, I have a felling I'll be getting a ding e-mail here soon.

Ive been thinking I should apply to some other higher schools (UIUC, Dozo and IU-B are the next highest ranked for me).

Would applying to UVA be worth it? And if I did get in, its safe to assume they wont give me any money, so would it even make sense to apply knowing I couldn't deal with the debt? Same with the COL out in DC with GW.

willwash

Bronze

Re: 164/3.9 is it worth applying to UVA & GW?

Post by willwash » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:31 pm

northside wrote:Not looking for BigLaw. More Public Interest minded. I already submitted other apps so I realize it is a little late in the game. My only real reach is UTAustin and looking at LSN, I have a felling I'll be getting a ding e-mail here soon.

Ive been thinking I should apply to some other higher schools (UIUC, Dozo and IU-B are the next highest ranked for me).

Would applying to UVA be worth it? And if I did get in, its safe to assume they wont give me any money, so would it even make sense to apply knowing I couldn't deal with the debt? Same with the COL out in DC with GW.
Solid shot at UVA if you apply ED. Otherwise, apply anyway, retake in Feb and let them know to expect a higher score. Meanwhile, study your ass off. You have plenty of time to beat your 164.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:41 pm

willwash is right. if you want t14, ED UVA.

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Huh, I was just wondering if the deadline for applying at UVA ED had passed. According to their website though, it appears there is no deadline. Is this correct? And if so, are there other schools like this? I've seen the TLS graph for this and I guess I'm confused.

When are the application deadlines? Do you offer an early decision option?
Regular application deadline: Applicants should ensure that we have received a completed application by March 1. A decision will be mailed by April 15. Late applications will be accepted and reviewed, but applicants are not guaranteed an admissions decision by April 15.

Expedited Decision option: There is no separate deadline for Expedited Decision applications. Applicants may choose the binding expedited decision option when they apply at any point in the admissions cycle. Expedited Decision applicants will be notified of their decision no later than 15 days after the complete application for admission is received and residency status has been determined. More on Expedited Decision

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:28 pm

OP, check out UVA's profile page. I'm pretty sure they have an excellent LRAP program that is very kind to people who go into public interest jobs. Should make the debt very manageable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Correct, there is no deadline for UVA ED.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:34 pm

This is the best year among the past 8 or 9 years to apply to reach schools since applications are down.

P.S. Unless awarded a substantial scholarship, why GWU ?

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:20 pm

So I don't really want to live in VA. What are the odds I'd be stuck there after graduation? ED scares me for a region I have 0 interest in.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:00 pm

Virginia places well all along the East Coast of the US & is a very well respected law school nationally. Many refer to the Top 14 law schools as "national" law schools due to nationwide respect &, often, placement.

Being "stuck" with a law degree from Virginia is a good thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:29 am

Why don't you ED to UVA + retake the lsats. If you get a high score before a decision is rendered just call up uva and withdraw your ED.

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:37 am

What about GULC?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:39 am

willwash wrote:What about GULC?
less cool with low LSAT scores

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:46 am

thexfactor wrote:Why don't you ED to UVA + retake the lsats. If you get a high score before a decision is rendered just call up uva and withdraw your ED.
UVA guarantees ED applicants a decision within 15 days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:33 am

luxxe wrote:
thexfactor wrote:Why don't you ED to UVA + retake the lsats. If you get a high score before a decision is rendered just call up uva and withdraw your ED.
Oh sorry. Id just sit out this year and retake. If you dont get a higher score then next year ED to UVA.

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:40 pm

luxxe wrote:
Is it possible after an ED denial to apply regular decision in the same cycle with a higher score?

Say you apply ED mid Oct with an October LSAT score of 164 and get denied. Retake in Feb and get a 174 (unlikely I know but this is a hypothetical after all). Could you then reapply regular decision for the same cycle in late Feb? It's a longshot, for sure, but hey, you can't blame a guy for trying.

sportgirl234

New

Post by sportgirl234 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:45 pm

willwash wrote:
luxxe wrote:
Is it possible after an ED denial to apply regular decision in the same cycle with a higher score?

Say you apply ED mid Oct with an October LSAT score of 164 and get denied. Retake in Feb and get a 174 (unlikely I know but this is a hypothetical after all). Could you then reapply regular decision for the same cycle in late Feb? It's a longshot, for sure, but hey, you can't blame a guy for trying.

no i am almost positive that once you apply to a school during a cycle and receive a decision you will have to wait to the next cycle to be considered again.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:58 pm

sportgirl234 wrote:
willwash wrote:
luxxe wrote:

no i am almost positive that once you apply to a school during a cycle and receive a decision you will have to wait to the next cycle to be considered again.

Im not sure Maybe. If you get a high score there is no reason why UVA wouldn't consider you. After all they are after the numbers.
Last edited by thexfactor on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:04 pm

willwash wrote: Say you apply ED mid Oct with an October LSAT score of 164 and get denied. Retake in Feb and get a 174 (unlikely I know but this is a hypothetical after all). Could you then reapply regular decision for the same cycle in late Feb? It's a longshot, for sure, but hey, you can't blame a guy for trying.
No.

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:37 am

I don't have the numbers for GULC

http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/

alicecarroll

New

Post by alicecarroll » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:26 am

northside wrote:So I don't really want to live in VA. What are the odds I'd be stuck there after graduation? ED scares me for a region I have 0 interest in.
I don't think you need to worry about being "stuck" in VA. Top 10 schools aren't limited by region. UVA has successful alumni that practice all across the US and abroad.

That said, c-ville is an amazing place to live. It offers almost everything a big city offers and also tons of country and outdoor stuff as well. I didn't expect to love it as much as I do. If I had the chance to stay here after graduation there's no doubt I would take it.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:11 pm

alicecarroll wrote:
northside wrote:So I don't really want to live in VA. What are the odds I'd be stuck there after graduation? ED scares me for a region I have 0 interest in.
I don't think you need to worry about being "stuck" in VA. Top 10 schools aren't limited by region. UVA has successful alumni that practice all across the US and abroad.

That said, c-ville is an amazing place to live. It offers almost everything a big city offers and also tons of country and outdoor stuff as well. I didn't expect to love it as much as I do. If I had the chance to stay here after graduation there's no doubt I would take it.
I completely disagree with the second part of that post as I hate living in Charlottesville. It's a small town that barely offers half of what the medium-sized southern city I moved from had to offer. It's bearable though. Additionally, alicecarroll is 100% correct that no one is "stuck" here unless they want to be. The odds that you would be stuck practicing in VA after graduation are virtually nil.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CaptainJack

New

Post by CaptainJack » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:06 pm

I just got accepted at UVA with 162/3.91. RD. Non-URM......so I'd say anything is possible ha.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:22 pm

I'd never thought there would be a thread where it would not be trolling to say "Take a year off. Retake and ED to UVA."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”