What is the best secondary legal market right now? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RVP11

Gold

Re: What is the best secondary legal market right now?

Post by RVP11 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:01 pm

beach_terror wrote:
RVP11 wrote: Highest pay relative to cost of living? Somewhere in Texas. Best place to live? Somewhere sunny.
Delaware.
As far as I'm aware, the only firms paying $160k in Delaware are (1) Skadden and (2) boutiques. Also, Wilmington is higher COL than Dallas or Houston. HTH.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Boston has a surprisingly small number of bigfirm slots
How is 250 small? Looks pretty strong relative to Chicago.
Its probably more like 200 than the 200-250 range I gave (tried to account for firms I forgot about). How many are in Chicago? The Chicago bigfirm legal market is almost double the size (Chicago 7200 v. Boston 3400 http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2491269007).

In terms of number of bigfirm lawyers, Boston is only 300 more than Atlanta so its still tiny. Weird.
Right, so Chicago has twice as many big firm lawyers as Boston. But I doubt they have twice as many SA positions (I think I saw a ~300 number thrown around). Therefore, I don't see how Boston's number of SA slots is "surprisingly small."

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:04 pm

Last edited by 03121202698008 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:13 pm

blowhard wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
I doubt this. You could also live more South towards Dover. (I own a brand new house in Dover...so not speaking out my ass here.) I made $60K in DE and lived comfortably.

This. Also, when I lived in DE there was no sales tax (unless that's changed since then).

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:16 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Boston has a surprisingly small number of bigfirm slots
How is 250 small? Looks pretty strong relative to Chicago.
Its probably more like 200 than the 200-250 range I gave (tried to account for firms I forgot about). How many are in Chicago? The Chicago bigfirm legal market is almost double the size (Chicago 7200 v. Boston 3400 http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2491269007).

In terms of number of bigfirm lawyers, Boston is only 300 more than Atlanta so its still tiny. Weird.
Right, so Chicago has twice as many big firm lawyers as Boston. But I doubt they have twice as many SA positions (I think I saw a ~300 number thrown around). Therefore, I don't see how Boston's number of SA slots is "surprisingly small."
I know 0 about the Chicago legal market. Thats rough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:17 pm

PurplePirate wrote:
blowhard wrote: I doubt this. You could also live more South towards Dover. (I own a brand new house in Dover...so not speaking out my ass here.) I made $60K in DE and lived comfortably.
This. Also, when I lived in DE there was no sales tax (unless that's changed since then).
AFAIK, not many people actually live in Wilmington. DE is so small you can live pretty much anywhere for dirt cheap, make at least 145, live near awesome places (NYC, Philly, shore) and not pay sales tax.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Can I get a read on Milwaukee?

You guys haven't been to Milwaukee. I can tell. People from Wisconsin are nice. You're not.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having an entire festival centered around cheese.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:59 pm

minnbills wrote:
blowhard wrote: LOL. Boston is extremely hard to break into...even from top 1/3 at T14. You're not thinking secondary enough. Think Baltimore, Charlotte, Denver, Wilmington (DE), Detroit, Toledo, etc.
Boston is that hard?
how can boston be that hard? BU and BC seem to dramatically outplace other schools in their range?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:02 pm

thexfactor wrote:
minnbills wrote:
blowhard wrote: LOL. Boston is extremely hard to break into...even from top 1/3 at T14. You're not thinking secondary enough. Think Baltimore, Charlotte, Denver, Wilmington (DE), Detroit, Toledo, etc.
Boston is that hard?
how can boston be that hard? BU and BC seem to dramatically outplace other schools in their range?
Because they are strong regional schools, located there, with strong ties to firms in the area. Most of the students have strong ties to the area which is apparently what the firms value.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:16 pm

blowhard wrote:Because they are strong regional schools, located there, with strong ties to firms in the area. Most of the students have strong ties to the area which is apparently what the firms value.
The other thing people need to realize is that a lot of secondary markets prefer hiring a top of the class person from a local school rather than an "average" or "below average" student from a top school. The exception to this would be HYS and top schools that are located in a secondary region (so Southern firms may feel differently about a UVA/Duke student, midwestern ones about a Michigan/NU/Chicago student. But a lot of Boston firms would probably prefer a top 10 percent law review BU/BC grad than a 3.2 one from Columbia, NYU,UVA, or Penn etc.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:48 pm

blowhard wrote: Because they are strong regional schools, located there, with strong ties to firms in the area. Most of the students have strong ties to the area which is apparently what the firms value.
So if I went to BU/BC from the midwest I would have a hard time even with biglaw firms?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:52 pm

blowhard wrote:
thexfactor wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Boston is that hard?
Because they are strong regional schools, located there, with strong ties to firms in the area. Most of the students have strong ties to the area which is apparently what the firms value.
What about those with Northeast ties, but not necessarily Boston (actually, not at all Boston)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:56 pm

chem wrote:In terms of Nashville, would owning a house there be sufficient for a tie?
This ain't how legal hiring works. Does your school have name brand recognition in Nashville? How are your grades? Do you have an articulable reason for wanting to begin your career in Nashville? Ties isn't just a box you check.
Last edited by Grizz on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:58 pm

It is apparently pretty insular, but Dallas is probably the healthiest secondary market in the country.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:08 pm

thexfactor wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Boston is that hard?
A city can be hard to break into even if the local schools do relatively well. BU/BC are very strong in Boston, but also do respectably in NYC and DC.

Also, Boston is very, very hard without ties.

professork

New

Post by professork » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:12 pm

How's orange county, legal health wise? contracting growing?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:13 pm

beachbum wrote:Any news on St. Louis?
It is just very, very small. Biggest firm class size is Bryan Cave and they've been something like a dozen in recent years? (not totally sure) The other top firms in town (Husch, Lewis Rice, Thompson Coburn, Armstrong Teasdale, Greensfelder, SNR Denton, Polsinelli) have class sizes ranging between like 2-8. I would be surprised if there are more than 40 or 50 NLJ 250 SA spots in the entire city. There are a few other firms that are respectable in prestige and pay near 6 figures that usually host summer programs (Carmody MacDonald, Sandberg Phoenix, maybe Pitzer Snodgrass but I dunno what they pay), but they have like 2-3 people tops usually.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TwelveBeeSicks

New

Post by TwelveBeeSicks » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:14 pm

What are we measuring "best" by? Number of available SA spots? Buying power of starting salaries? Quality of work? Now that I think about it, I don't even think this question can be answered objectively, so I guess it all depends on what an individual person was looking for.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:24 pm

InGoodFaith wrote: What about those with Northeast ties, but not necessarily Boston (actually, not at all Boston)
If you can articulate a solid reason why you want to be in Boston and have something (UG, family lives here, wife/husband, etc.), plus going to BC/BU, then you will be fine locally. Anything NYC on the resume kills though - I know people who cleaned up in NYC but struck out in Boston. Many said they were grilled extensively on why they didn't want to go back to NYC. A good number of people do come to BU/BC with no ties and still do well locally - it depends on the interviewers and the firm. Those with serious local ties tend to outperform their grades locally though.
Last edited by Blindmelon on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:24 pm

TwelveBeeSicks wrote:What are we measuring "best" by? Number of available SA spots? Buying power of starting salaries? Quality of work? Now that I think about it, I don't even think this question can be answered objectively, so I guess it all depends on what an individual person was looking for.
I interpreted best as a mixture of: Health + Size + Salaries

And health and size are two different things (see: Chicago). Based on the three metrics I just listed, I think Dallas wins hands down.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
beachbum wrote:Any news on St. Louis?
It is just very, very small. Biggest firm class size is Bryan Cave and they've been something like a dozen in recent years? (not totally sure) The other top firms in town (Husch, Lewis Rice, Thompson Coburn, Armstrong Teasdale, Greensfelder, SNR Denton, Polsinelli) have class sizes ranging between like 2-8. I would be surprised if there are more than 40 or 50 NLJ 250 SA spots in the entire city. There are a few other firms that are respectable in prestige and pay near 6 figures that usually host summer programs (Carmody MacDonald, Sandberg Phoenix, maybe Pitzer Snodgrass but I dunno what they pay), but they have like 2-3 people tops usually.
Yeah, that's about what I figured. It's rough out there, but hopefully the lack of SA spots is somewhat offset by the relative lack of applicants shooting for those spots.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
TwelveBeeSicks wrote:What are we measuring "best" by? Number of available SA spots? Buying power of starting salaries? Quality of work? Now that I think about it, I don't even think this question can be answered objectively, so I guess it all depends on what an individual person was looking for.

And health and size are two different things (see: Chicago). Based on the three metrics I just listed, I think Dallas wins hands down.
SA class sizes in Dallas are very small relative to Houston. The tradeoff, though, would be that you're in Houston.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote: What about those with Northeast ties, but not necessarily Boston (actually, not at all Boston)
If you can articulate a solid reason why you want to be in Boston and have something (UG, family lives here, wife/husband, etc.), plus going to BC/BU, then you will be fine locally. Anything NYC on the resume kills though - I know people who cleaned up in NYC but struck out in Boston. Many said they were grilled extensively on why they didn't want to go back to NYC. A good number of people do come to BU/BC with no ties and still do well locally - it depends on the interviewers and the firm. Those with serious local ties tend to outperform their grades locally though.
Thanks. This is what I'm worried about because my entire background screams NY/NJ, but the NY market is so oversaturated it's ridiculous.

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I am partial to Dallas, but Houston is right there with Dallas (I know you didn't mention Houston).

http://www.nalp.org/uploads/Perspectives_Fall_2010.pdf

On the front end of the recruiting process I think Houston wins (more callbacks, higher percentage of callbacks turning into offers, and more offers extended). See page 15 of the NALP report.

I think Dallas wins on the back end of the recruiting process with a higher offer rate for summer associates (although this is for class of 2011). See page 11 of the report.

I know there are way too many variables to reach any strong conclusions from this data.

The thing that jumps out the most is that Dallas, Houston and Atlanta were the only markets that did not report deferrals for class of 2011 summer associates.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:44 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Thanks. This is what I'm worried about because my entire background screams NY/NJ, but the NY market is so oversaturated it's ridiculous.
No, NYC isn't "oversaturated," and second, NYC isn't a market! It is where legal business goes to die. If NYC is actually oversaturated, you see secondary markets dying off (Chicago, LA, SF/SV, Texas). For awhile it was. Now? Hell it's a buyer's market, they're being selective.

My entire background screams Chicago, and to be forthright, I don't particularly consider that a "secondary" legal market. I'm not worried. These forum shoppers can all fuck off in whatever fashion they prefer.

edit: wanted to swear with proper grammar?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”