Chances: UCLA Law to BigLaw in NY? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Champion

Bronze

Chances: UCLA Law to BigLaw in NY?

Post by Champion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:43 pm

I really do love UCLA, and have been accepted for c/o 2015. However, I'm not too sure about going all the way out there since I want to practice BigLaw in NY. I really wouldn't to be "forced" to stay in LA to do BigLaw straight out. Any input??

JoeMo

Gold

Re: Chances: UCLA Law to BigLaw in NY?

Post by JoeMo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Champion wrote:I really do love UCLA, and have been accepted for c/o 2015. However, I'm not too sure about going all the way out there since I want to practice BigLaw in NY. I really wouldn't to be "forced" to stay in LA to do BigLaw straight out. Any input??
Negative. If you want NY go to Fordham or Cardozo, assuming you can't get into CLS, NYU.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Champion wrote:I really do love UCLA, and have been accepted for c/o 2015. However, I'm not too sure about going all the way out there since I want to practice BigLaw in NY. I really wouldn't to be "forced" to stay in LA to do BigLaw straight out. Any input??
LOL, "forced" to stay in LA. LA biglaw is going to be more difficult to get, especially for a non-local. That being said, top 1/3 bro to have a reasonable shot.

Half your problem is that less big NY firms do OCI at UCLA than schools on the east coast meaning that you're going to have to get a lot of interviews via mass mailing which is tough.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:12 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Negative. If you want NY go to Fordham or Cardozo, assuming you can't get into CLS, NYU.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:41 pm

Veyron wrote:
LOL, "forced" to stay in LA. LA biglaw is going to be more difficult to get, especially for a non-local. That being said, top 1/3 bro to have a reasonable shot.

Half your problem is that less big NY firms do OCI at UCLA than schools on the east coast meaning that you're going to have to get a lot of interviews via mass mailing which is tough.
Yea that's the thing that's making me skeptical about UCLA. My ability to head back to NY for BigLaw. And from the profile it seems pretty easy to do, but that's coming from representatives of the school. And when I say "forced" I mean like seeing that BigLaw in NY isn't going to be possible and having to stick to going hard for the LA market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:47 pm

When faced with this choice, I had to take CLS/NYU over UCLA, even with the enormous amount of money they were handing me. I just don't trust the Cali market really (I also have no ties out there, so that factored in too).

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Champion wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Yea that's the thing that's making me skeptical about UCLA. My ability to head back to NY for BigLaw. And from the profile it seems pretty easy to do, but that's coming from representatives of the school. And when I say "forced" I mean like seeing that BigLaw in NY isn't going to be possible and having to stick to going hard for the LA market.
What I'm saying is that the CA legal market is SO fucked up that NY will STILL be easier to get. Can't you get a 1/2 ride to Fordham or go to Cornell or something?

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 pm

If you must have NY, even though it's horrifically oversaturated, yeah, I would take Cornell or money at Fordham over UCLA. If you're not totally married to NY, I'd consider UCLA because I believe it is slightly more portable than Fordham.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:17 pm

And it's looking like UCLA is going to give me a relatively good package. I think I have a shot a NYU or Columbia. So we'll see. I'm in at UCLA, Texas, and UGA so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:38 pm

If you really want NYC don't go to UCLA, no matter how much $ they give you.

If you really want biglaw don't go to UCLA, no matter how much $ they give you.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:39 pm

bk187 wrote:If you really want NYC don't go to UCLA, no matter how much $ they give you.

Weird conditional is weird.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:21 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
Just curious, I thought Cardozo's employment prospects were pretty decent in NY, no?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:05 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
bk187 wrote:If you really want NYC don't go to UCLA, no matter how much $ they give you.

Weird conditional is weird.
Maybe it's my own personal biases but I think you should at least give yourself a coinflip's chance if you want something. If you can get into UCLA you can get either get into a school that places better in biglaw or you can retake, score a few points better, and then get into a school that places better in biglaw.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:11 pm

If it isUCLA vs Cornell then it would be easy... go to cornell.

However, if it is UCLA vs Fordham.. I would probably choose UCLA. Their NLJ250 stats are much better than Fordham. Sometimes getting a job is a hell of a lot more important than choosing a top location....
Plus, LA isn't exactly detroit or cleveland......

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:01 pm

thexfactor wrote:
If it isUCLA vs Cornell then it would be easy... go to cornell.

However, if it is UCLA vs Fordham.. I would probably choose UCLA. Their NLJ250 stats are much better than Fordham. Sometimes getting a job is a hell of a lot more important than choosing a top location....
Plus, LA isn't exactly detroit or cleveland......
+1

why is this a UCLA v Fordham debate? someone with UCLA #s should be able to get into Cornell. if it really does come down to UCLA vs Fordham, I'd choose UCLA just because it keeps California open as a possibility (i.e., ties) but doesn't really foreclose NYC too much. True, more NLJ250 firms in NYC recruit at Fordham, but for firms that go to both, they'd dig deeper into UCLA's class (at least this is the case at Texas).

undeclared

New

Post by undeclared » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:02 am

if you really like UCLA, ask Admissions to put you in touch with students/young alumni who have biglaw NY jobs. They are the friendliest Admissions I dealt with during my law school apps process.

I chose UCLA over Cornell b/c they gave me $ and I wanted to work in CA. (Also being in a city means I can do part time externships) I wont lie, biglaw is tough in this market but its a recession everywhere. If you are say, top 20% the 2Ls this year had a really good shot with biglaw. Below that...mixed, really based on WE, fit, etc. Firms in NY do recruit here, but of course not as much. However, I and another NY friend were successful in getting screeners through direct apps and resume books. I know of a handful of people who summered in NY last year, a lot of it is just choice b/c most people in CA dont want to leave.

So really, its based on performance and you're willingness to do more legwork. If you can get the grades then you should be able to get biglaw in NY. Not sure? Stay in NY. If you can get into CLS, NYU, Cornell, go there. I really don't know about NY schools ranked below Fordham and dont recommend it if you got into ucla. There's a Fordham transfer in my class and if you want, PM me your specific questions.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:52 am

LOL just try to get ANY biglaw.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:00 am

Champion wrote:I want to practice BigLaw in NY.
Based off of just that, I'm going to agree with others and say go to Cornell over UCLA if it's an option.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:23 pm

In at Berkeley and Michigan. If nothing else happens for me this application cycle, I'll be choosing one of those two. I should be good in regards to making it back to NY either way.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:53 pm

JoeMo wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
Just curious, I thought Cardozo's employment prospects were pretty decent in NY, no?
No. Anecdotally, I have heard from friends that Cardozo is not weathering the economy well. I've heard the same about Fordham, actually. CLS and NYU are still pretty safe but the gulf has really widened.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Champion wrote:In at Berkeley and Michigan. If nothing else happens for me this application cycle, I'll be choosing one of those two. I should be good in regards to making it back to NY either way.
Take Michigan

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:20 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Champion wrote:In at Berkeley and Michigan. If nothing else happens for me this application cycle, I'll be choosing one of those two. I should be good in regards to making it back to NY either way.
Take Michigan
Any particular reason for taking Michigan? All input would be great!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:07 pm

Champion wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Take Michigan
Any particular reason for taking Michigan? All input would be great!
1) Look through the NALP directory for NY firms that interview at OCI at Mich and Berkeley -- Mich has more.
2) Less expensive to attend Michigan
3) Michigan historically places more graduates into NY firms

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”