Texas law school or out of state? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschool4

New

Texas law school or out of state?

Post by lawschool4 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:33 am

I currently live in Texas and am applying to all Texas law schools and only Texas law schools; I don't know if this is a good idea or not.
If I apply to other law schools out of state, that are ranked higher than U of H, Baylor, Texas Tech, SMU, South Texas, etc and get in should I go to them or would it be wiser to stay in Texas, regardless of the rankings? I hear that Texas is a good state to practice in so it would be better to stay in Texas for law school but then I also think that attending a higher ranked school would be advantageous. Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

top30man

Silver

Re: Texas law school or out of state?

Post by top30man » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:45 am

lawschool4 wrote:I currently live in Texas and am applying to all Texas law schools and only Texas law schools; I don't know if this is a good idea or not.
If I apply to other law schools out of state, that are ranked higher than U of H, Baylor, Texas Tech, SMU, South Texas, etc and get in should I go to them or would it be wiser to stay in Texas, regardless of the rankings? I hear that Texas is a good state to practice in so it would be better to stay in Texas for law school but then I also think that attending a higher ranked school would be advantageous. Any advice would be helpful, thank you!
What are your numbers? Unless you go to a very highly ranked school, a texas school is the best choice to stay in Texas. Good call with what you are doing.

lawschool4

New

Post by lawschool4 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:00 am

lsfsldklk
Last edited by lawschool4 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:09 am

1) Consider retaking, even if it means waiting a year. The schools you will be getting into right now are not worth paying sticker for.
2) You should apply to schools where you may be able to get scholarships at to try and leverage money out of your true target schools.
3) If you want to work in Texas, go to law school in Texas. (Exceptions exist, but you don't have the numbers right now for it to matter.)

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:21 am

^^I agree. Get a few points higher on the LSAT in December and go SMU/UH. I hear bad things about Baylor, and the rest of the schools in TX aren't really worth going to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Didn't Texas impose draconian tort reform? That's a horrible place to practice law!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:32 pm

mrtoren wrote:Didn't Texas impose draconian tort reform? That's a horrible place to practice law!
QFpersonalinjuryaTTTorney

lawschool4

New

Post by lawschool4 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:42 pm

Say I don't make a higher score on the December LSAT, would I be better of applying out of state?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:46 pm

lawschool4 wrote:Say I don't make a higher score on the December LSAT, would I be better of applying out of state?
Probably not. Generally speaking, you'll only receive an advantage if you're able to get into a much higher ranked school. If you know you want to practice in Texas, you're unable to get a higher score, and are dead set on going to LS next year then you should stay in Texas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:23 pm

lawschool4 wrote:Say I don't make a higher score on the December LSAT, would I be better of applying out of state?
No. Texas is, with some exceptions, pretty insular. If you don't have the numbers for a UVA / Vandy / etc., then absolutely stay in Texas.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:51 pm

studay for the lsat like it's worth 5 figures, 4 0's, 1 comma

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:49 am

I have a similar question. I want to stay in Texas, have 3.59 and 169. I know I have a fighting chance to get into Texas, but I was wondering if I should bother applying to some T14 schools as well, or just stick with Texas schools (and a few other schools I applied to out of state). Not going to retake, non-URM, average softs.

Thanks in advance.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:57 am

eaper wrote:I have a similar question. I want to stay in Texas, have 3.59 and 169. I know I have a fighting chance to get into Texas, but I was wondering if I should bother applying to some T14 schools as well, or just stick with Texas schools (and a few other schools I applied to out of state). Not going to retake, non-URM, average softs.

Thanks in advance.
Try Cornell and Michigan. Maybe Berkeley also.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”