Does anybody actually attend their safety school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vissidarte27

Bronze

Does anybody actually attend their safety school?

Post by vissidarte27 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 pm

I applied to URichmond as a safety (3.22/166) and recently received admission with an invitation to apply for their top scholarship which would cover all but $5k/year in tuition. I hadn't been thinking about it super seriously, but the idea of that kind of money is intriguing and I was just wondering if anybody had been happy about going to a lower-ranked safety school because of money.

I love Virginia and my SO and I would probably be happy in Richmond, but I can't help thinking that I might get a better education elsewhere and that I might regret it when/if I can't find a job (I want to do PI, if it matters).

Any stories about safety school success? Or any reason to stay away?

It's all hypothetical, I guess -- Richmond is the only school I've heard back from thus far -- but I'm trying to figure out my thought process earlier rather than later.

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Re: Does anybody actually attend their safety school?

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm at my safety now and I love it. I did get into the other schools I wanted to attend but chose this one for financial reasons.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:I applied to URichmond as a safety (3.22/166) and recently received admission with an invitation to apply for their top scholarship which would cover all but $5k/year in tuition. I hadn't been thinking about it super seriously, but the idea of that kind of money is intriguing and I was just wondering if anybody had been happy about going to a lower-ranked safety school because of money.

I love Virginia and my SO and I would probably be happy in Richmond, but I can't help thinking that I might get a better education elsewhere and that I might regret it when/if I can't find a job (I want to do PI, if it matters).

It's all hypothetical, I guess -- Richmond is the only school I've heard back from thus far -- but I'm trying to figure out my thought process earlier rather than later.
You'll get into much better schools. If you want VA, you have a good chance at GMU and W&L. Anyway, a lot of people attend safety schools, probably mostly because of scholarships or maybe because they had an unpredictable cycle and didn't get in too many other places, or they didn't apply to enough target schools. I had similar numbers than you though (3.35,165), and you can/will get into better schools. It's early in the cycle.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Im at my safety.

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:19 am

bport hopeful wrote:Im at my safety.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:59 am

I don't know if I'm gonna apply to my safeties b/c I feel like it would be better to apply again next year than go to either of them

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:09 am

JamMasterJ wrote:I don't know if I'm gonna apply to my safeties b/c I feel like it would be better to apply again next year than go to either of them
This.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:35 am

I graduated from a safety a year ago. I have no debt and a good job (clerking for a state judge).

I applied to law school before the ccraa (ibr/loan forgiveness). It is much less risky now to take out loans, but unless you get into a national school, I think limiting debt is often a good idea.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:06 am

I haven't been accepted anywhere and I'm considering my safety because I'll likely get a full-ride and it is in my home town and places well here (I plan to practice here).

If you chose a safety the way you should -- meaning you picked a school you would still like to go to and would be happy at, which it sounds like you did -- then the safety is a viable option sometimes.

I think you'll do better than Richmond, but definitely keep them in mind.

If I were you, I'd apply to W&M, W&L, Maryland, American, and GMU. All of them will put you in that area, and they are better schools. Richmond isn't a bad school though.

W&M is a dream school for me, but I don't want to move to the East Coast.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:39 am

Opie wrote:
If I were you, I'd apply to W&M, W&L, Maryland, American, and GMU. All of them will put you in that area, and they are better schools. Richmond isn't a bad school though.
Yes it is.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:04 am

Especially since you want to do PI, minimizing debt will be important. I think attending a safety for this reason is a very smart idea.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:46 pm

I just realized that I think OP is on my watch list on LSN. Nifty.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Opie wrote:I just realized that I think OP is on my watch list on LSN. Nifty.
Opie: retake for Northwestern. I remember you from that thread and you can do better than fallback options

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:10 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Opie wrote:I just realized that I think OP is on my watch list on LSN. Nifty.
Opie: retake for Northwestern. I remember you from that thread and you can do better than fallback options
I can, but I don't think I can get the 171 that I need. My primary target now is Iowa. I wish I had more energy to study for the LSAT and get up to that 171, but working full time and two kids only gives me at best a few hours a week to devote for it. That's not enough IMO for 7 points.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:05 pm

It depends a lot on the safety. If you can get in at UVa, your safety should be much higher than Richmond. Taking a big scholly at GWU, W&M or W&L, over UVa can be a great decision for some people, but UVa ---> Richmond is a huge gap.

Similarly, if you want to practice in Chicago and can get in at NU, WUSTL and UIUC are good safety options, but IIT-Kent is not.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:26 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:I applied to URichmond as a safety (3.22/166) and recently received admission with an invitation to apply for their top scholarship which would cover all but $5k/year in tuition. I hadn't been thinking about it super seriously, but the idea of that kind of money is intriguing and I was just wondering if anybody had been happy about going to a lower-ranked safety school because of money.

W&M will accept you more likely than not. You might get WL'd, but I think an acceptance is more likely. With the ridiculously cheap COA, you should def go there over a place like Richmond

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:55 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

W&M will accept you more likely than not. You might get WL'd, but I think an acceptance is more likely. With the ridiculously cheap COA, you should def go there over a place like Richmond
I applied to W&M and it's definitely at the top of my list. LSP has me at "Weak consider" and, although there are some people on LSN with similar numbers who were admitted, it still feels like a bit of a reach. Still, I'd be thrilled to get good news on my status checker next week (fingers crossed), so we'll see. My only concern would be life in Williamsburg for my SO -- the job market is kind of limited, and I don't what to go somewhere that wouldn't be good for her. But maybe she could commute or something.

I also applied to W&L and GM, so I think I'll have options in VA. W&M would be ideal, though.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:06 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

I applied to W&M and it's definitely at the top of my list. LSP has me at "Weak consider" and, although there are some people on LSN with similar numbers who were admitted, it still feels like a bit of a reach. Still, I'd be thrilled to get good news on my status checker next week (fingers crossed), so we'll see. My only concern would be life in Williamsburg for my SO -- the job market is kind of limited, and I don't what to go somewhere that wouldn't be good for her. But maybe she could commute or something.

I also applied to W&L and GM, so I think I'll have options in VA. W&M would be ideal, though.
besides all this, you have to get w&m so you and your s.o. can double date with me and my s.o.! i think we may be in the minority there!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Im under the impression that W&M keeps an extremely large WL so its difficult to determine who gets off of it.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:02 pm

lrslayer wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

besides all this, you have to get w&m so you and your s.o. can double date with me and my s.o.! i think we may be in the minority there!
This seems like a sitcom

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Trex

New

Post by Trex » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:03 am

If you're not T14 material, what's a reasonable school to attend if you want to do PI work in NYC?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:08 am

Trex wrote:If you're not T14 material, what's a reasonable school to attend if you want to do PI work in NYC?
CUNY...

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:30 am

arvcondor wrote:
Me too. I am enjoying it.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:41 am

Danteshek wrote:
Trex wrote:If you're not T14 material, what's a reasonable school to attend if you want to do PI work in NYC?
CUNY...
Dozo with a scholly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”