Consensus on BU w/o $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Impending1L

New

Consensus on BU w/o $$

Post by Impending1L » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:39 pm

I'm taking the December LSAT and I know getting any money from BU or a similarly ranked school is a long shot because of how late my app will be submitted (even with a target LSAT of 170). My question is, is it worth taking on major debt to go to a school like BU where it's outside the T14 with job prospects as dismal as they are?

kaiser

Gold

Re: Consensus on BU w/o $$

Post by kaiser » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Well, it really depends on how much debt, what your goals are, where you want to practice, etc. I still think its true that BU is one of the best schools you can go to outside the T14, along with places like BC, Fordham and GW. So I certainly think one can make an argument in favor of BU given the right circumstances. But that depends on the unknown factors I mentioned above. I attended BU as a 1L and couldn't have been happier with the place. I can't really speak to the job situation there, but I would imagine its better than at many of its peer schools in the rankings.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:52 pm

170 target? Get an LSAT score then worry about it. If you hit that and your GPA is okay, why not wait a year and get into a T14 or get $$ from BU? If you *must* go this year, then I bet you could squeeze $ out of BU even with a late app if you push them that you want to go there.

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:24 am

kaiser wrote:Well, it really depends on how much debt, what your goals are, where you want to practice, etc. I still think its true that BU is one of the best schools you can go to outside the T14, along with places like BC, Fordham and GW. So I certainly think one can make an argument in favor of BU given the right circumstances. But that depends on the unknown factors I mentioned above. I attended BU as a 1L and couldn't have been happier with the place. I can't really speak to the job situation there, but I would imagine its better than at many of its peer schools in the rankings.
afaik fordham has worse BigLaw placements than either BC, BU, or GW. And for those 3 schools it's like 33, 30, 25? Imo BC or BU are better schools to go to for big law work, but it's still going to be a grind to be better than ~80% of the class to actually stand out.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:50 am

It's possible to submit a late app to BU and still get scholarship, at least I did. That being said, earlier is probably better or at least be sure to do the additional scholarship application before waiting for an acceptance.

Attending BU or a similar school without any scholarship doesn't sound like a great idea, particularly because of the high COL here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:51 pm

What's your GPA?

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:29 pm

It's all relative dude.

If I asked one of my friends making 70k plus if an apartment is nice he'd laugh. If I asked one of my old cab driving pals he'd be enamored.

If you ask someone with a 180/4.0 he'd laugh. If you asked a 150/3.0 he'd laugh for the opposite reason.

BU is a good school, but it isn't elite. It's a risk but I'd bet on myself sticker BU over a full ride to Suffolk.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:03 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:It's all relative dude.

If I asked one of my friends making 70k plus if an apartment is nice he'd laugh. If I asked one of my old cab driving pals he'd be enamored.

If you ask someone with a 180/4.0 he'd laugh. If you asked a 150/3.0 he'd laugh for the opposite reason.

BU is a good school, but it isn't elite. It's a risk but I'd bet on myself sticker BU over a full ride to Suffolk.
This is a silly point of view. At the end of the day, you go to law school to get a job. If a school puts you in a good place to get that job you want, without burying you in debt, then it's good. If not, it doesn't matter that, hey, at least you're not at Cooley.

To use your apartment analogy: if the apartment is nice and in your budget, you take it (unless you find something that meets your criteria better). You don't rent something you can't afford just because your richer friend thinks it's worth, and you don't live in a pit just because it's the only think your less well off friend can afford. You get the apartment that works for your budget and needs.

OP, a school like BU is a solid school, but the majority of people at that level school aren't getting biglaw. You shouldn't go there unless you can articulate what kind of employment you want, how likely the school is to get you there, and what your financial situation is going to be.

Aristone

New

Post by Aristone » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:25 pm

BU is one of the best schools outside the T14...that being said, it is still a risky proposition to go to ANY school (perhaps barring HYS) in this economy at full price. That's roughly 150k for a 30% chance at biglaw (please forgive me if the percentage is slightly off...I believe that's close to the last NLJ250 rank).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”