USC or UCLA. I don't want to stay in CA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC or UCLA

USC
17%
UCLA
83%

Total votes: 36

mtbssd

New

USC or UCLA. I don't want to stay in CA

Post by mtbssd » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:55 pm

My wife is doing her medical residency here in LA so I'm locked in for the next three years and I'm already 23 so I don't want to put off getting through law school. I have a 3.5 GPA (strong upward trend, 3.77 last two years) and a 177 LSAT. I think that I could get into either USC or UCLA and possibly get some money at USC (UCLA probably not as they focus so much on GPA). Anyway, I really don't want to stay in CA as I think this state is going to collapse sometime soon. I'm from DC, my wife is from Hawaii. So my question is this: USC or UCLA? Which one would be stronger outside of CA?
Thanks everybody.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: USC or UCLA. I don't want to stay in CA

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:57 pm

I'm 27, have almost the exact same numbers, and want to end up in California.

I wouldn't choose either of them.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Conventional wisdom says UCLA places quite a bit better outside of the LA area than USC.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:04 pm

mtbssd wrote:My wife is doing her medical residency here in LA so I'm locked in for the next three years and I'm already 23 so I don't want to put off getting through law school. I have a 3.5 GPA (strong upward trend, 3.77 last two years) and a 177 LSAT. I think that I could get into either USC or UCLA and possibly get some money at USC (UCLA probably not as they focus so much on GPA). Anyway, I really don't want to stay in CA as I think this state is going to collapse sometime soon. I'm from DC, my wife is from Hawaii. So my question is this: USC or UCLA? Which one would be stronger outside of CA?
Thanks everybody.
This is a tough situation, I'm sorry. USC and UCLA both don't have very much mobility outside of CA, but I'd say UCLA has an advantage because it's ranked higher. Otherwise I'd say shoot for Boalt, which (IMO) has slightly better mobility since it's a T10.

Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:07 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I'm 27, have almost the exact same numbers, and want to end up in California.

Really? Do you mean just for nat'l mobility or even if you want to stay in Cali?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:10 pm

minnbills wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I'm 27, have almost the exact same numbers, and want to end up in California.

Really? Do you mean just for nat'l mobility or even if you want to stay in Cali?
With those numbers I think USC and UCLA cut off too many options. Neither one is big with financial aid for people in our GPA range. When the choice is 15K a year from USC or sticker at CCN, it's an easy one to make.

If there was potential for a big scholarship from either one, then those schools could make sense for someone who wants to stay in Southern California. For someone who is intent on ending up somewhere else, there is no justification for choosing either USC or UCLA with those numbers.

mtbssd

New

Post by mtbssd » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks for all the really fast input. Looks like I definitely need to do some more research. It might be possible for me to work for a while here in LA and go to school in a few years but with a Poli Sci degree my options are definitely limited...

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
minnbills wrote:

With those numbers I think USC and UCLA cut off too many options. Neither one is big with financial aid for people in our GPA range. When the choice is 15K a year from USC or sticker at CCN, it's an easy one to make.

If there was potential for a big scholarship from either one, then those schools could make sense for someone who wants to stay in Southern California. For someone who is intent on ending up somewhere else, there is no justification for choosing either USC or UCLA with those numbers.
Got it, thanks

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
mtbssd wrote:My wife is doing her medical residency here in LA so I'm locked in for the next three years and I'm already 23 so I don't want to put off getting through law school. I have a 3.5 GPA (strong upward trend, 3.77 last two years) and a 177 LSAT. I think that I could get into either USC or UCLA and possibly get some money at USC (UCLA probably not as they focus so much on GPA). Anyway, I really don't want to stay in CA as I think this state is going to collapse sometime soon. I'm from DC, my wife is from Hawaii. So my question is this: USC or UCLA? Which one would be stronger outside of CA?
Thanks everybody.
This is a tough situation, I'm sorry. USC and UCLA both don't have very much mobility outside of CA, but I'd say UCLA has an advantage because it's ranked higher. Otherwise I'd say shoot for Boalt, which (IMO) has slightly better mobility since it's a T10.

Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong.
UCLA has a modestly extended alumni network. I agree, it isn't ideal, but one could do far worse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:49 am

UCLA because your situation suggests that you will probably remain in California.

P.S. Consider Stanford.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:58 am

I have to agree. I you don't want CA, and don't get into Boalt/Stanford, you really should go to another T14. This is especially true if UCLA/USC don't throw money (half ride, at least) at you, which they most likely won't.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:18 am

If you want to work on the east coast, do NOT go to USC/UCLA. You'll find other threads on this topic on this forum. You should be looking at the top ranked east coast schools (T14, BC, BU, GW, Fordham):

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:26 am

OP: Where do you want to live & work after law school ? If Hawaii, then UCLA is a solid choice. If you want the East Coast, then you need to determine whether or not you are willing to delay law school or to spend much of the next three years separated from your wife.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:27 am

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Where do you want to live & work after law school ? If Hawaii, then UCLA is a solid choice. If you want the East Coast, then you need to determine whether or not you are willing to delay law school or to spend much of the next three years separated from your wife.
Realize that it's not impossible to get an East Coast job from UCLA, but it'll definitely be an uphill climb.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:56 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Where do you want to live & work after law school ? If Hawaii, then UCLA is a solid choice. If you want the East Coast, then you need to determine whether or not you are willing to delay law school or to spend much of the next three years separated from your wife.
Realize that it's not impossible to get an East Coast job from UCLA, but it'll definitely be an uphill climb.
Of course. A lot of things aren't impossible. That doesn't mean its going to happen.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Of course. A lot of things aren't impossible. That doesn't mean its going to happen.
UCLA is definitely a regional school, but even on the East Coast, it has somewhat of a name and an alumni network. I'm saying that the OP doesn't have to kiss his dreams of working there goodbye. On the contrary, if he he has strong ties somewhere, I don't anticipate there being much of an issue, provided due diligence.

mtbssd

New

Post by mtbssd » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:46 pm

Ya I'd love to end up back in DC though I think my wife definitely wants to go back to Honolulu... That is what makes the whole thing so difficult. I definitely won't pay sticked to USC or UCLA. I'll go check out craigslist to see if I can find a job for the next 3 years here in LA and apply to some T14 later to see if I even have a shot in a few years.
Thanks everybody.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:30 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:UCLA because your situation suggests that you will probably remain in California.

P.S. Consider Stanford.
srsly? stanford is not happening with that GPA. nonetheless, i agree that OP should really not settle for less than CCN.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:57 pm

FYI I had the same #'s as you and I was WL at UCLA. I assume it was a combination of a late application and low GPA. Ended up taking $ at NYU instead...

justiceleague

New

Post by justiceleague » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:12 am

so, what's with people getting WL'd at UCLA and accepted yale standford etc http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ChrisChan/jd http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jtc85/jd http://lawschoolnumbers.com/smittytron3k/jd

How is this happening? I can't imagine these people skip major parts of the UCLA application or anything...

justiceleague

New

Post by justiceleague » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:13 am

could it be that UCLA doesn't expect them to attend cuz they know they can get into a higher ranked school? That's gotta be it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:16 am

justiceleague wrote:so, what's with people getting WL'd at UCLA and accepted yale standford etc http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ChrisChan/jd http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jtc85/jd http://lawschoolnumbers.com/smittytron3k/jd

How is this happening? I can't imagine these people skip major parts of the UCLA application or anything...
Yield protection. Many schools will waitlist applicants the schools is not convinced will attend. If someone has a 175/3.9 they are extremely unlikely to attend UCLA even with a full scholarship. UCLA then gets a tiny boost in the US News rankings, where acceptance rate counts for 2.5% of the total score.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:22 am

justiceleague wrote:so, what's with people getting WL'd at UCLA and accepted yale standford etc http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ChrisChan/jd http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jtc85/jd http://lawschoolnumbers.com/smittytron3k/jd

I actually wrote an extra essay for UCLA...

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:31 am

I interned as a 1L in NYC this past summer and one of my fellow interns went to USC. Now this guy had a lot of hustle, but I was really impressed by the power of the USC alumni network in getting him interviews. The last few weeks of the internship he seemed to have an interview almost every day with a different firm. So at least for NYC the USC alumni network was pretty strong, I can't speak for USC.

I am at UC Irvine and I've been surprised by the mobility I've had. In some ways I've had an easier time with the east coast than I have in So Cal, but I think that is because my resume makes it hard for me to sell my commitment to So Cal outside of mey attending law school there.

You also should consider UC Irvine; as a UC we take part in the UCDC program, which allows you to spend a semester in DC doing an externship if you are willing to spend a semester away from your wife and we have also had a few students land judicial externships, and even a summer SA, in Hawaii.

But regarding USC vs UCLA, I am not sure which is better if you won't stay in CA long term. Personally I'd apply to USC, UCLA and UC Irvine and go wherever I was offered the most money, and if costs were similar, then I would go with whichever school I thought was a better fit for me. I think the three schools have different personalities and are about equal in job placement. But that is just my opinion and I don't have anything to really back it up.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Since you're from the DC area, you would probably have a much better chance at getting a job in DC than the average USC/UCLA person (likely from CA with little or no ties to the DC area). It seems that if you don't attend a school in the region in which you want to practice (or HYS), firms really care about your ties to the area, which you have to DC (and HI b/c of your wife). As others have said, there is a perception that UCLA places better nationally and is more well-known than USC outside of LA. With costs being equal, I would take UCLA if I were in your situation, but I'd say take USC if it is less costly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”