Free 2012 US News Rankings including Grad Schools! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
commoner

New

Free 2012 US News Rankings including Grad Schools!

Post by commoner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:40 pm

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/store/coll ... e_deal.htm

Get it free through google. Sign up by 09/16/11

SehMeSerrious

Gold

Re: Free 2012 US News Rankings including Grad Schools!

Post by SehMeSerrious » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:01 pm

commoner wrote:http://www.usnews.com/usnews/store/coll ... e_deal.htm

Thanks!

How the hell does Georgetown's International Relations and Political Science PhD programs always rank so low when its undergraduate and masters programs rank so high?

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:06 pm

thanks!

edit: Looking at uMich's law page profile, i'm a little horrified that one of the THREE "notable alumni" they list is Ann Coulter. Wow, there was no one better to mention?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:03 pm

SehMeSerrious wrote:

Thanks!

How the hell does Georgetown's International Relations and Political Science PhD programs always rank so low when its undergraduate and masters programs rank so high?
None of the DC schools are particularly well-regarded for poli sci. The best schools (besides Harvard and the like) are large research universities concentrated in the Midwest.

SehMeSerrious

Gold

Post by SehMeSerrious » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:34 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
SehMeSerrious wrote:

Thanks!

None of the DC schools are particularly well-regarded for poli sci. The best schools (besides Harvard and the like) are large research universities concentrated in the Midwest.
It's just confusing because some of the groups I'd like to work with (before I go to law school in a few years and after practicing law in the far future) seem to have a large pool of candidates from Georgetown, and some of the people whose career paths I'm looking at have also gone to Georgetown.

I was interested in doing a joint MA/JD or a joint PhD/JD and Georgetown would still get me a T14 law school along with a top ranked (at least for their masters) degree.

Harvard seems to consistently top the list of rankings (not just USNWR). But I was considering doing research for a think tank for a few years before I go to law school and a lot of them recruit heavily from the DC area, some exclusively.

Anyone have any advice/experience regarding this? I was thinking following up my bachelor's with some research (the program I'm applying for is very small and specific to my field of area studies and is highly regarded, almost guaranteeing a well paying job, especially if I did government work) and then doing either a masters or PhD or both, doing some research and analysis for a think thank or other group for a few years, then going into law school with some good experience. Someone recommended that I go straight to a PhD/JD joint program, but I'm not sure if that's the right path for someone who then wants to practice PI law before going into pure research/academia.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:56 pm

SehMeSerrious wrote: I was interested in doing a joint MA/JD or a joint PhD/JD and Georgetown would still get me a T14 law school along with a top ranked (at least for their masters) degree.

Harvard seems to consistently top the list of rankings (not just USNWR). But I was considering doing research for a think tank for a few years before I go to law school and a lot of them recruit heavily from the DC area, some exclusively.

Anyone have any advice/experience regarding this? I was thinking following up my bachelor's with some research (the program I'm applying for is very small and specific to my field of area studies and is highly regarded, almost guaranteeing a well paying job, especially if I did government work) and then doing either a masters or PhD or both, doing some research and analysis for a think thank or other group for a few years, then going into law school with some good experience. Someone recommended that I go straight to a PhD/JD joint program, but I'm not sure if that's the right path for someone who then wants to practice PI law before going into pure research/academia.
I can't give you any advice, but I admire your ambition.

On the UG rankings, I'm glad Pitt is back in the top 60 where it belongs. The prevaling 13ish-point gap between Pitt and PSU is just as egregious as ever, but I guess that's one of the benefits of having a brand name.

Also: Miami in the top 40?!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”