part-time differences Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BlueJeanBaby

Silver

part-time differences

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:01 pm

I have a few questions concerning part-time programs vs. full-time ones. I never considered part-time until I met someone who is in one a few days ago. The obvious benefit is the ability to maintain your current employment while getting a legal education. I really enjoy my day job and I could likely go to law school without loans, so this appeals to me. I have a few questions/concerns if anyone could help.

1. Are part-time programs looked at equally by employers? Or would a full-time student at the same University as a part-time student be much more preferred?

2. Can you transfer to a full-time program after a year of part-time? And I don't mean within the same University. I guess I'm asking if going to a part-time program eliminates you from the possibility of going to a different school for your second year that may or may not have a part-time program itself.

xyzbca

Bronze

Re: part-time differences

Post by xyzbca » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:53 am

1. Are part-time programs looked at equally by employers? Or would a full-time student at the same University as a part-time student be much more preferred?
I just wrapped up my OCI. Based on my personal observations only, PT + work FT was a huge boost through the recruiting process. If you have the other credentials law firms are looking for (right law school, gpa, LR, etc...), working FT and attending PT is a huge boost.
2. Can you transfer to a full-time program after a year of part-time? And I don't mean within the same University. I guess I'm asking if going to a part-time program eliminates you from the possibility of going to a different school for your second year that may or may not have a part-time program itself.
Depends on the school you want to transfer to. Some schools will take you after your first year, some after your second year and some schools don't take PT students at all.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Re: part-time differences

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:17 am

Thank you for your response! I suppose I will have to call a few schools and try to get an idea of if PT students are commonly permitted to apply as a transfer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”