Should I ED to UCLA? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

ED to UCLA?

Yes-it's the best option
57%
No- Let it ride
43%

Total votes: 14

Revolver066

Bronze

Should I ED to UCLA?

Post by Revolver066 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:53 pm

hjk
Last edited by Revolver066 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Haymarket

Bronze

Re: Should I ED to UCLA?

Post by Haymarket » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:10 pm

This is a tough one, and your circumstances are specific enough that I can see a very good argument for EDing to UCLA. I also think that, being a URM with a 170, you will very likely be accepted to UCLA.

That being said, I think you also have a very good chance at many of the middle T14 and even higher. So I think before you decide, you should consider looking at some higher ranked schools and especially at how they are placing in SoCal. Personally, if you think you might ever change your mind about where you want to work or want a little bit more "preftige", I would only apply RD to UCLA (where I still think you have much better than even odds of getting in) and maybe try an ED to one of MVP.

Good luck with your apps.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:21 pm

+1

Your chances are good enough without the ED that you may not want to cut yourself off from other options/scholarship negotiations.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Unless things have radically changed in the past two years, UCLA places a lot of focus on GPA. ED if you want a decent shot at getting in.

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm

dresden doll wrote:Unless things have radically changed in the past two years, UCLA places a lot of focus on GPA. ED if you want a decent shot at getting in.
Nope, they haven't changed. I see on LSN a 171, 3.1 and a 171, 3.02 got in (WL-A w/ 15k), both non-URM, so I think I'd have a decent shot of getting in off the waitlist.

I feel like if I ED I'll always wonder what kind of offers I could have gotten...but is it worth the risk of possibly being shut out of LA altogether?? Gah.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:13 pm

Revolver066 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Unless things have radically changed in the past two years, UCLA places a lot of focus on GPA. ED if you want a decent shot at getting in.
Nope, they haven't changed. I see on LSN a 171, 3.1 and a 171, 3.02 got in (WL-A w/ 15k), both non-URM, so I think I'd have a decent shot of getting in off the waitlist.

I feel like if I ED I'll always wonder what kind of offers I could have gotten...but is it worth the risk of possibly being shut out of LA altogether?? Gah.
In the UCLA class of 2015 thread they mentioned how you can call and somewhat ask about you admission chances with an ED, I wonder if you would be able to get some insight for your decision.

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Bumping this because I'm still confused as hell. Anybody else care to offer some insight?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Revolver066 wrote:

As you can see on the graph, these people are the exceptions, not the rule. A 3.4/171 URM got in last year with $40k. I don't know much about URM boosts, but I'd lean towards dresden doll and say that chances aren't great without ED. Since you for sure want to practice in LA, I think it's worth it to ED to UCLA. Since Berkeley is the only school that would give you significantly better employment options/chances and admission chances there look bleak, if I were you I would probably want to do whatever I could to boost my chances at UCLA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”