CCN at Sticker or GULC (part-time) with no debt Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bdubs

Gold

Re: CCN at Sticker or GULC (part-time) with no debt

Post by bdubs » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:27 pm

Just remember that as a full time student you actually get to have some semblance of a life outside of classes and studying. You will be giving up 4 years of your life going to GULC part time because those people have no life outside of work and school. You also might get dominated on the curve by someone who went PT who isn't actually working full time.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Also you will not have the same job opportunities as part time at gulc. But this may not matter if you keep the job you have or, as you will have no debt, you won't be under pressure to get a biglaw job to repay loans. So I guess gulc

pcwcecac

Bronze

Post by pcwcecac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Yea that's a good point, bdubs.

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:43 pm

bdubs wrote:Just remember that as a full time student you actually get to have some semblance of a life outside of classes and studying. You will be giving up 4 years of your life going to GULC part time because those people have no life outside of work and school. You also might get dominated on the curve by someone who went PT who isn't actually working full time.
I think this is a very valid consideration. Additionally, do you have specific priorities as for where, geographically, you would like to work after law school? I'm pretty sure GULC is good for DC and less competitive in some of the other major markets. You mention that your job provides 1/3 of LS tuition, but does that require you to commit to them for a certain number of years after graduating? How would fulfilling that requirement affect your career goals? Finally, I think if you go PT while continuing with your present job, it may make it more likely that you will end up in a field of law that relates to your current work (since it will be viewed as very current work experience, and since it may prevent you from being able to pursue internship opportunities in other fields).
So, I would figure out how I felt about the PT vs. FT questions and how your employer's deal with affect your future goals - or your flexibility to meet those goals. I would not ED; I would apply to a bunch of top 10 or top 14 schools, including GULC PT. Then I would assess the money, the opportunities, the quality of life, and the flexibility that each option would afford.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:56 pm

pcwcecac wrote:Re HeavenWood,

One could certainly consider the prospect of an individual with certain ranking at school X versus the prospect of an individual with certain ranking at school Y.

What bils is saying is that I cannot assume that I would achieve a certain rank at any institution, let alone assuming a certain ranking at two institutions.

My argument proceeds by limiting all possible scenarios to the range that I wish to consider. And since my decision is monotonic with respect to the difference in class rank at GULC and CCN, if I arrive at the same conclusion under the max difference (25%) and the min difference (0%), then that conclusion would dominate the alternative in the realm of scenarios that i wish to consider.
You sound like you should have done better on the LSAT. I hope you wrote your writing sample the same way you wrote the above response. :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ihhwap1

Bronze

Post by ihhwap1 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:03 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:36 pm

You got 4 options:

1)Go to CCN and gamble your way up to median(VERY unpredictable), if you don't make it, you're fucked with very little job options, if any, and a good 200,000$ in debt.

2)Take the cheaper option, similar consequences to CCN, except you get less debt.

3)Re-apply to other schools and try to get a good scholarship (T1 or gtfo).

4)Don't go to Law School.

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:49 pm

Eding to GULC doesnt make a lot of sense to me, you're more than capable of getting in with those numbers.

Whoever said MVP had a good idea. Because even if you ED CCN it's not guaranteed that you'll get in and those would be happy-medium.

allthatglambition

New

Post by allthatglambition » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:56 pm

I would probably go with GULC with no debt. GULC is a fairly decent school that's a justified risk.

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2 ... ree-worth/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:11 pm

If your salary is enough to comfortably cover 2/3 of your tuition, why the hell do you want to go to law school?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:18 pm

LTK alt?

pcwcecac

Bronze

Post by pcwcecac » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Lisi, thank you so much for the insightful input. You pointed out many things that I should be thinking about, beyond money and prestige.

Hopefully2012, I can't tell if you were honest or being sarcastic. (i missed all of the author's attitude problems on the RC =P). Thanks, anyway. If you were being sarcastic, I guess the jokes on me.

Noval, your 4 options are accurate. It's pretty much how I see it as well.

Duckmoney, I have non-financial motivations to attend law school.

IAFG, what's LTK?

Thanks everyone. I think I have my answer: do not ED anywhere!

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:47 pm

Just remember that as a full time student you actually get to have some semblance of a life outside of classes and studying. You will be giving up 4 years of your life going to GULC part time because those people have no life outside of work and school. You also might get dominated on the curve by someone who went PT who isn't actually working full time.
GULC modified its part-time program this year to address the curve issues. They pretty much want true, traditional (read: working) part-time students in that program now, hence its smaller size and new restrictions for transferring to the FT Program.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:12 pm

All I read was the OP, but I think there are much better strategies than EDing to GULC. And that doesn't mean just EDing to CCN. I think a different strategy including an ED to CCN or MVP or no ED at all has benefits that far, far outweight PT at GULC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”