Career as a mediator or arbitrator Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
danteamante

New

Career as a mediator or arbitrator

Post by danteamante » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:36 pm

Are schools that are strong in "dispute resolution" - see http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... n-rankings - worthwhile if you would like to practice some form of alternative dispute resolution?
Last edited by danteamante on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Career as a mediator or arbitrator

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:42 pm

danteamante wrote:If you want to pursue a career as a mediator or arbitrator rather than follow a standard legal career path, does it matter where you go to law school (within the tier 1 schools)?
What does this even mean?

You don't typically just graduate law school and "pursue a career as a mediator or arbitrator". From what I've seen, successful mediators or arbitrators are people who have years of legal experience. It requires a "standard legal career path" to be able to do. You can't just graduate law school and go, "Hi, I want to arbitrate," and expect someone to go, "Okay! Have a bag of money."

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:43 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
danteamante wrote:If you want to pursue a career as a mediator or arbitrator rather than follow a standard legal career path, does it matter where you go to law school (within the tier 1 schools)?
What does this even mean?

You don't typically just graduate law school and "pursue a career as a mediator or arbitrator". From what I've seen, successful mediators or arbitrators are people who have years of legal experience. It requires a "standard legal career path" to be able to do. You can't just graduate law school and go, "Hi, I want to arbitrate," and expect someone to go, "Okay! Have a bag of money."
+1

i mean, if you just want to be a community mediator (not arbitrator), there are small claims courts or other community programs that are just looking for certified mediators...in which case, you dont have to go to law school at all.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Most arbitrators I've seen are retired Judges. I am not sure that they ALL aren't, actually. We also use mediators a lot but most of them aren't lawyers or even law trained. They sometimes have Masters degrees in one or another social science but that is not universal.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:25 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Most arbitrators I've seen are retired Judges. I am not sure that they ALL aren't, actually. We also use mediators a lot but most of them aren't lawyers or even law trained. They sometimes have Masters degrees in one or another social science but that is not universal.
i know of arbitrators who are not/were not judges but just attorneys.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:56 am

Were they connected to the AAA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”