Mountain West Big Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
darknightbegins

Silver

Re: Mountain West Big Law

Post by darknightbegins » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:35 pm

I'm not saying it is the "best" route but I think it is a viable option. Obviously it would be better to just work for a Southwest large firm but there are viable alternatives.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:45 pm

RVP11 wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Not if you are a native of the Southwest. I've known attorneys (message me for specific citation, don't want to start plugging people on here) that have done just that. Go to NYU, work in a large firm for several years, open own law office in Southwest. Successful business even in this climate.
Even if you're a native, I can't imagine this is anything close to the best route.

1. Big firms aren't good places to learn how to open your own shop. Few, if any, partners at a big firm have ever opened their own firm, so they won't have much to pass on to you in that regard.

2. If you were really set on working for a big firm immediately out of law school, and your long-term goal was to open your own firm in the Southwest, why not choose a big Southwest firm?
Credited. Poster has no idea what he is talking outside his sample size of one.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:54 am

Ehh, plenty of people in big Denver firms originally worked in SF, LA, NYC, etc. It's not that uncommon. Although once you get into the Denver law community, it is fairly easy to move around.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:14 pm

How helpful are regional ties? Entire life in Utah, but want to move to work and live in Colorado to escape the mormon culture.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:41 pm

coldshoulder wrote:How helpful are regional ties? Entire life in Utah, but want to move to work and live in Colorado to escape the mormon culture.
I'm sure it helps but it might not be enough. There are only like 25 SA positions that are worth anything in Denver (4-5 at Hogan, 2 @ A&P, 2 @ GDC, 4 @ DGS, 2 @ H&H and S&H, depending on the year 1-2 @ MoFo, Patton Boggs, HRO, RP). That's a tiny amount. When you consider that a lot of them are taken by standouts at CU and DU and there are a good number of people from Colorado at HYS as well as the rest of the top ten, every bit counts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

woodscountry

New

Post by woodscountry » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:49 am

Hi I am a native Chinese who is now working in Hogan Shanghai office, and now applying schools like WUSTL and VANDY.

Is there chances to work for hogan at Denver? I wonder if they have any Chinese related transactions...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”