DC or NY? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pennyLane8

New

DC or NY?

Post by pennyLane8 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:04 am

I've lived in Southern California forever, and I want to go to law school on East Coast in a bigger city. I don't know NY or DC very well. Any input on which city would be better to live and go to law school in? Any info appreciated.

PL

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Re: DC or NY?

Post by WVUCelticFan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:17 am

What level of schools are you looking at? If you can get in to them, NYU/Columbia > Georgetown. The ability to get a job coming out of school should override other city specific details.

That said, NYC is going to be more expensive, although DC isn't cheap. From what I've seen, the cities just give off a different vibe (maybe someone else can give a better explanation than that) and you should just visit both and see which suits you better.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:28 am

DC market is terrible. That said, if you're not going to at least GW in DC or Fordham in NY (and this is assuming some degree of financial aid... this board is at best split on whether Cornell and Georgetown are worth sticker) I'd give serious consideration to considering a different market.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:07 am

WVUCelticFan wrote:What level of schools are you looking at? If you can get in to them, NYU/Columbia > Georgetown. The ability to get a job coming out of school should override other city specific details.

That said, NYC is going to be more expensive, although DC isn't cheap. From what I've seen, the cities just give off a different vibe (maybe someone else can give a better explanation than that) and you should just visit both and see which suits you better.
the ability to get a job should NEVER override city specifics. living > working, or else ur doing it wrong. yeah visit is correct answer. both very different than LA, DC is like LA for uglies.

pennyLane8

New

Post by pennyLane8 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:22 am

Thanks for all the info! I am looking into GULC or Columbia. However, my budget is...um, sad right now, and any visit would have to be so short, I doubt my ability to make and informed decision. Realizing a short visit is better than none, I was just curious about any feedback people familiar with both places might have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:29 am

DC is more spread out with lower buildings, imagine Santa Monica without the beach or with elements of Hollywood but instead of famous actors and rock stars, it's politicians and such. NYC is like downtown LA but with 150x the people and doesn't shut down at 10pm. Lots of places like the Standard, but also imagine a golden golfer type bar on EVERY corner and a deli too. lots of silverlake/Los feliz types in both cities.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:40 am

dood wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:What level of schools are you looking at? If you can get in to them, NYU/Columbia > Georgetown. The ability to get a job coming out of school should override other city specific details.

the ability to get a job should NEVER override city specifics. living > working, or else ur doing it wrong. yeah visit is correct answer. both very different than LA, DC is like LA for uglies.
The CR is to strive for some sort of balance between the two alternate extremes suggested. There are very good schools in terrible places(see Yale). I think the first poster was suggesting that the focus should be on going to a good school and getting a job. It's not an ideal system but it is what it is. Living is burdensome under crushing, non-dischargeable debt one has no means of paying off.

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Edit: ISP failed in the middle of submitting, will rewrite in a minute.

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:04 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
The CR is to strive for some sort of balance between the two alternate extremes suggested. There are very good schools in terrible places(see Yale). I think the first poster was suggesting that the focus should be on going to a good school and getting a job. It's not an ideal system but it is what it is. Living is burdensome under crushing, non-dischargeable debt one has no means of paying off.
That was my intended meaning. If you visit NY and hate it, then going to CN is the wrong choice for you. If you like both cities about equal, or even NY a little bit less but would still be happy there, then go with the one that gives you the most options. I think that is the right process for most people anyway. If you are going to have zero debt, already have a job lined up, or have some other special circumstance, then your priorities will be different.

If OP is talking about CN and GULC level schools, then both markets will be open to them, as much as they are to any T14 students. Going to school in DC won't limit you to DC forever and the same for NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:07 pm

pennyLane8 wrote:Thanks for all the info! I am looking into GULC or Columbia. However, my budget is...um, sad right now, and any visit would have to be so short, I doubt my ability to make and informed decision. Realizing a short visit is better than none, I was just curious about any feedback people familiar with both places might have.
CLS - and it's not even close.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:09 pm

thecilent wrote:
pennyLane8 wrote:Thanks for all the info! I am looking into GULC or Columbia. However, my budget is...um, sad right now, and any visit would have to be so short, I doubt my ability to make and informed decision. Realizing a short visit is better than none, I was just curious about any feedback people familiar with both places might have.
CLS - and it's not even close.
Columbia - for DC or NYC. You can choose your city later.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:35 pm

You should be able to get to DC if you want from Columbia assuming you do well. DC is by far a nicer city to live in than NYC. I'm from Long Island and went to UG in DC and I really hate NYC. NYC has a lot of glitz and entertainment, etc. but it's not an ideal city to live in. There have even been studies that living in NYC is bad for your mental health. DC is probably the epitome of what a city should look like and the QOL in the NW is very good.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:44 pm

aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?

has OP even taken the LSAT yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pennyLane8

New

Post by pennyLane8 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:33 pm

I haven't taken the LSAT officially yet, but I have done quite well on practice tests. Thank you all kindly for the info; it is very enlightening, especially Dood (I can tell you have a lot of experience in both cities). I agree that school rank is important, but three years of my life is a long time to invest in a city I don't like or can't afford (obviously, $150,000 is also a lot to invest in a degree that needs to get me a job). However, I noted that GULC has a great Loan Repayment Program, and I am looking to do asylum/refugee law, so I'm not counting on bucko bucks. I have been weighing the pro and cons, and find that I am split pretty even.

Much appreciation,
PL (OP)

pennyLane8

New

Post by pennyLane8 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Dood, you've got me thinking DC sounds more my style. My only fear is your comment about replacing the LA'a beautiful people for DC's political people. Are they really that similar (i.e. superficial, name-dropping, I'll scratch your back if you...etc.)?

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:44 pm

if you like relaxed, DC is much better than NYC. if you want to be busy doing shit all the time, NYC is better than DC. chances are you will not deal with the DC political scene that often unless you go looking for it, it's pretty easy to avoid completely.

either way, NYU/CLS are better than Georgetown for career opportunities.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:11 pm

I'm a West Coast girl myself, though from Oregon. I could never live or consider living in NY after having lived in London. Not my scene. I LOVE DC though. I did my undergrad here and there were so many opportunities to get outside the classroom/make connections.

But Columbia is a better school....I just can't do New York. I'm not even applying to any schools there for that sole reason. I also have a family to consider, which changes things slightly in terms of livability. If I was single, I think NY would be fun for three years.

I would go to the school with the best program if you are undecided.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:15 pm

pennyLane8 wrote:Dood, you've got me thinking DC sounds more my style. My only fear is your comment about replacing the LA'a beautiful people for DC's political people. Are they really that similar (i.e. superficial, name-dropping, I'll scratch your back if you...etc.)?
yes.

replace: "we had the poolside cabana next to paris hilton at the roosevelt hotel last weekend"

with: "our dinner table was right next to senator kerry's at the white house correspondents dinner last weekend"

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:06 pm

dood wrote:
pennyLane8 wrote:Dood, you've got me thinking DC sounds more my style. My only fear is your comment about replacing the LA'a beautiful people for DC's political people. Are they really that similar (i.e. superficial, name-dropping, I'll scratch your back if you...etc.)?
yes.

replace: "we had the poolside cabana next to paris hilton at the roosevelt hotel last weekend"

with: "our dinner table was right next to senator kerry's at the white house correspondents dinner last weekend"
Idk if you're kidding or not but this might be true for a very small percentage of students in DC. It's much more likely that an UG is gonna be around the political scene than a law student. Like another poster stated, it's not that hard to avoid the political stuff in DC.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:01 am

MumofCad wrote:I'm a West Coast girl myself, though from Oregon. I could never live or consider living in NY after having lived in London. Not my scene. I LOVE DC though. I did my undergrad here and there were so many opportunities to get outside the classroom/make connections.

But Columbia is a better school....I just can't do New York. I'm not even applying to any schools there for that sole reason. I also have a family to consider, which changes things slightly in terms of livability. If I was single, I think NY would be fun for three years.

I would go to the school with the best program if you are undecided.
You know there is more to NYC than Manhattan, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”