How conservative? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Klinklang

New

How conservative?

Post by Klinklang » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:00 pm

So I just received a fee waiver in the mail from George Mason . . . I wasn't really looking at either GM or American, even though my stats are about right for T25-50 and D.C. would be good with me, because of the apparent belief that they're rather conservative and liberal, respectively. I'm not terribly politically opinionated anymore, but I wouldn't want an environment entirely of say, people convinced the President is a secret Islamist or, for lack of a better example, San Francisco-style hippies (again respectively, lol). So, does anyone know just how pervasive the political leanings of these two schools are? Thanks! :)

blerg

Bronze

Re: How conservative?

Post by blerg » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 pm

On GM, very anecdotal, but my very normal friend goes there. He's fiscally more conservative than I am, but on social issues, on the more liberal side.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:23 pm

People say GM is conservative because it tends to be more so for an academic setting, which doesn't say much considering how liberal schools are. It's not ultra-conservative, just more conservative than other schools. You're not going to feel alienated by it.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:48 pm

I always got the vibe that George Mason was more libertarian than conservative. (At least in their Economics department.)

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:55 pm

I know someone who worked for the Heritage foundation who went to GM law part time, and turned down Georgetown to go there because it was more conservative. He ended up with a CoA clerkship though so I guess it worked out for him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:28 pm

You're going to law school, not a god damn political conference. It's time to stop giving a shit about inconsequential crap.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:41 pm

GMU is hotbed for libertarianism so it's fiscally conservative. That's really as conservative as it gets though. Ilya Somin is a guru though

Klinklang

New

Post by Klinklang » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:51 pm

bk187 wrote:You're going to law school, not a god damn political conference. It's time to stop giving a shit about inconsequential crap.
Hahaha +1! That's exactly why I ask, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a major part of the school's environment so as to distract from studying law and other consequential crap. :mrgreen: Based on what I'm hearing, though, it sounds like there's really nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the input!

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:56 pm

bk187 wrote:You're going to law school, not a god damn political conference. It's time to stop giving a shit about inconsequential crap.
lol, you spit the truth bk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”