Harvard V. Stanford Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Harvard or Stanford?

Harvard
21%
Stanford
79%

Total votes: 142

hurldes

Bronze

Re: Harvard V. Stanford

Post by hurldes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:45 pm

I think everyone is telling you to go to Stanford because of where your from/want to practice/where your family is because HLS and SLS are both incredible and are going to get you wherever you want. They are both so highly respected that it's tough to say which is flat out better. Only you can know which is a better fit for you. I'd personally pick Stanford because of smaller class sizes and better weather, but if you want to live on the east coast, go to Harvard!
Last edited by hurldes on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:47 pm

HNSA15 wrote:OK, I think I should clarify:

I now live in CA and my family/bf are here...so yes, Stanford would be easier.

The thing is, though, that I've been in Cali my whole life, and really want to try something new and exciting and take a chance on something (like moving to the east coast for 3 years?). I went to UCLA for undergrad and have always been like 30 minutes away from my family and boyfriend, and I sort of feel like I want to branch out a little.

You know how when you're debating between sushi and italian food and you really can't decide, so you flip a coin and then when it lands on sushi you're like noooo I really want Italian? So that's how I feel now that you've all told me Stanford; I feel like I secretly wanted Harvard.

You all just freaked me out and totally confused me, thanks!!! haha jk I appreciate all the insight.

By the way, I love how I asked everyone to keep emotional attachments out of it, yet everything I wrote is 100% emotional.

Do you guys think that Stanford is a better school? If so, why? Do you also really believe that I'll have trouble getting a job in LA out of Harvard? I know it would obviously be easier to work in Cali out of Stanford, but would it be difficult for me to find a job out of Harvard? Does it matter that I want to live in LA and not northern CA?
actually, i now change my vote to HLS

neither's going to really preclude you from any market, but just the ease of networking with employers in California and having family/support nearby makes SLS the more logical choice. However, if you're heart is in HLS, then I think you've already made your decision.

congrats OP

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:51 pm

HNSA15 wrote:I now live in CA and my family/bf are here...so yes, Stanford would be easier.
I mean I think SLS is slightly better than HLS but they really are peer schools. But you really want to be across the country from your bf rather than in the same state as your bf?

It's not like you're taking CLS/NYU over SLS to get away, you're taking a peer of SLS to get away. I would think if you wanted to stay in the relationship then SLS > HLS because it would make it easier.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Stanford because of Cali ties, and also a much, much smaller class size.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:47 pm

If you are at the top of the class at Harvard, you probably won't have any problem coming back to California. If you are on the bottom, you may be screwed. Remember, Harvard has LPs and a much larger class size the Stanford. Based on what I have read on this board, it does not seem like people at Stanford have any problems finding a job. I can understand wanting to try something new, but you are not deciding where to go on vacation - you are going to a professional school whose purpose is to get you a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:50 pm

You should go to Stanford, and you should be making connections while you're in Cali. You, and I, will proffffffit.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Either will get you California with ties, but why not save yourself the trouble of going halfway around the country when you're in at a peer school in the state you want to end up with.

Stoic

New

Post by Stoic » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Seeing how this is probably my last post on TLS ever because I don't need the site as much anymore given circumstances. I leave with these wise words of a stranger....

"Take Stanford and run."

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:25 am

HNSA15 wrote: I went to UCLA for undergrad and have always been like 30 minutes away from my family and boyfriend, and I sort of feel like I want to branch out a little.
wait so you're saying you kinda want a new bf? haha im being facetious...but not really.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:28 am

almightypush wrote:
ahduth wrote:Isn'tStanford a better option period?

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:42 am

Tough call, sucks to be in your shoes.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:48 am

I vote Stanford just based on the experience of going to a smaller, more tightly knit LS.

I have close friends at both, and having spent a lot of time talking with them about their experiences, Stanford to me sounds head and shoulders above in terms of the unique experience of getting to know professors personally (something like 175 students v. almost 600).

From what I hear, it is much easier to get into even the most popular classes at S based on this fact as well, and you get the chance to take more classes on the quarter system.

When you throw in the fact that you likely want to work in CA long term, no question that S is the better choice. Plus, if you've grown up in CA, the northeast is likely not going to be nearly as exciting as it sounds come February when you haven't seen the sun in months, and also when you are faced with the all day prospect of sitting on a plane to fly back to CA to visit family/friends/etc.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:05 am

anewaphorist wrote:Tough call, sucks to be in your shoes.
Lol, not really. I would love to be in her shoes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:12 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Lol, not really. I would love to be in her shoes.
Sarcasm fail.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:16 am

UCLAtransfer wrote:
Sarcasm fail.
Whatever. It actually is a semi-tough call.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:44 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:
Sarcasm fail.
Whatever. It actually is a semi-tough call.
lol you were, however, responding to the "sucks to be in her shoes" portion and not the "tough call" bit...

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:02 pm

It was a little dose of perspective more than anything...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:10 pm

TheFactor wrote:Stanphad
this, because of accuracy and wit.

I consider Harvard and Stanford both = as law schools, and the pictures in the Stanford 2011 Applicants forum sold me as to which one I'd pick.

mtrl

New

Post by mtrl » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:14 am

It seems that you want to go to Harvard. No shame in that. Go to Harvard and don't look back.

HNSA15

New

Post by HNSA15 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:19 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
HNSA15 wrote: I went to UCLA for undergrad and have always been like 30 minutes away from my family and boyfriend, and I sort of feel like I want to branch out a little.
wait so you're saying you kinda want a new bf? haha im being facetious...but not really.
no! Absolutely not...what I meant by that is this: I've been with my bf for 7 years (since I was 15). I love him unconditionally and am 100% certain that he is who I want to marry. With that said, I'm always with him, and have always been so close to my family (both as far as dependance goes, and as far as location goes). By "branching out" I really just meant being on my own 2 feet for once, and having to lean on myself, to figure out stuff on my own, and to learn to deal with things in my own ways, without having the luxury to run home to my bf (who I love dearly) or my parents (who I love dearly). I think it will be good for me to take these 3 years to really grow as a person independently, while still being in a committed and loving relationship. That's what I meant.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:21 pm

HNSA15 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
no! Absolutely not...what I meant by that is this: I've been with my bf for 7 years (since I was 15). I love him unconditionally and am 100% certain that he is who I want to marry. With that said, I'm always with him, and have always been so close to my family (both as far as dependance goes, and as far as location goes). By "branching out" I really just meant being on my own 2 feet for once, and having to lean on myself, to figure out stuff on my own, and to learn to deal with things in my own ways, without having the luxury to run home to my bf (who I love dearly) or my parents (who I love dearly). I think it will be good for me to take these 3 years to really grow as a person independently, while still being in a committed and loving relationship. That's what I meant.
Stanford is far enough away for you to effectively dump you boyfriend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HNSA15

New

Post by HNSA15 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:16 pm

ahduth wrote:
HNSA15 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
Stanford is far enough away for you to effectively dump you boyfriend.
Down the street is far enough for me to dump my boyfriend. I wouldn't "dump" him regardless of where I am. Sorry that your life experiences have taught you that if a woman wants to experience something on her own that means she wants to dump her bf :)

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:48 pm

HNSA15 wrote: no! Absolutely not...what I meant by that is this: I've been with my bf for 7 years (since I was 15). I love him unconditionally and am 100% certain that he is who I want to marry. With that said, I'm always with him, and have always been so close to my family (both as far as dependance goes, and as far as location goes). By "branching out" I really just meant being on my own 2 feet for once, and having to lean on myself, to figure out stuff on my own, and to learn to deal with things in my own ways, without having the luxury to run home to my bf (who I love dearly) or my parents (who I love dearly). I think it will be good for me to take these 3 years to really grow as a person independently, while still being in a committed and loving relationship. That's what I meant.
about time to stand on your own two feet and make a decision already lol. All the cards are laid out in front of you so (1) make a chart of pros n cons for each school and (2) choose the place you don't think you'll regret attending. GL.

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:13 pm

HNSA15 wrote: Do you guys think that Stanford is a better school?
For everyone? No. For you? Yes.
HNSA15 wrote:If so, why?
It's close enough that you can maintain your relationships more easily, far enough away for you to feel "independent" (why you need to move across the country to do that is beyond me - just live on your own), and you will have an easier time getting a job in CA. The grading system is a bit more generous. The class sizes are smaller/professor interaction is better. People are less douchey. Palo Alto > Cambridge.
HNSA15 wrote:Do you also really believe that I'll have trouble getting a job in LA out of Harvard?
No.
HNSA15 wrote:Does it matter that I want to live in LA and not northern CA?
No. Stanford dominates up and down the west coast.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:12 pm

HNSA15 wrote:Down the street is far enough for me to dump my boyfriend. I wouldn't "dump" him regardless of where I am. Sorry that your life experiences have taught you that if a woman wants to experience something on her own that means she wants to dump her bf :)
No, just not clear why you'd even remotely consider Harvard if you're this committed. The logic of K-JDs is probably pretty lost on me however, given the life experience I've been saddled with, so please carry on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”