UVA v. Duke v. Vanderbilt (nonspecific admissions decision) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
whitman

Silver

UVA v. Duke v. Vanderbilt (nonspecific admissions decision)

Post by whitman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:20 pm

I already know where I´m going. This is on behalf of a friend who has the stats for a top school and wants to attend one of these southern bastions. Anyone care to discuss the differences in culture, placement, strengths, weaknesses, social life, student body, etc?

Granted, it´s something like UVA > Duke >>>Vanderbilt, but beyond that. And how much better is UVA than Duke and both than Vandy?
Last edited by whitman on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

almightypush

Bronze

Re: UVA vs. Duke (vs. Vanderbilt with $)

Post by almightypush » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:21 pm

IBQO

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Just wanted to post in the same thread as someone who is going to Yale.

Oh and Duke is best obv.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:03 pm

almightypush wrote:IBQO
+1, beat me to it

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Tell your friend to post his own threads and come back with real rather than hypothetical acceptances and scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:10 pm

bk187 wrote:Tell your friend to post his own threads and come back with real rather than hypothetical acceptances and scholarships.
+1^

whitman

Silver

Re: UVA vs. Duke vs. Vanderbilt

Post by whitman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:12 pm

OK, I really meant this more as a general discussion about the schools, as they are the three best southern schools and I imagine many people choose between the three. Not a specific "choose my law school" thread. I apologize, though. I am sure there is a better place to put it, so maybe I will move it. Usually people discuss M vs. V or Vandy vs. WashU or Duke vs. Northwestern, etc. and I was curious to see if people would contribute to a thread specifically about all aspects of UVA, Duke, and Vanderbilt - though I recognize this is difficult given that the vast majority of students have only attended one school. That hasnt stopped most of you from contributing a lot of expert knowledge to threads about a plethora of schools you havent attended, though. I forgot that you only like to contribute said accumulated expert knowledge to threads that clearly fall within TLS-dictated boundaries. I also thought it might be helpful to future applicants, too, to find information about these three schools clearly discussed in one thread. Believe it or not, some southerners want to go to the best southern school they get into, not just the best school, and will choose Vanderbilt over, say, Cornell, or Duke over Michigan.
Last edited by whitman on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Depends on money and fit.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Didn't read your wall o' text but I think I know where you were headed.

Answer: go to the "Ask a Duke Student" or "UVA 1L's Answering Questions" or "Vandy Students Taking Qs" or whatever they are called and sift through those threads for the posts regarding QoL at the various institutions because I can guarantee you that the question has been asked a bazillion times. Then take those answers and compare them yourself because you aren't going to get many direct comparisons from people who have lived at both. Not to mention that QoL answers are dictated by personal preference.

As for prospects, it's pretty clear that UVA = Duke > Vandy. How much money would it require to take Vandy over the other two? I am not entirely sure but I would personally say something like a 20k/year difference at minimum (I am sure others will have different opinions on this).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cavalier

Gold

Re: UVA v. Duke v. Vanderbilt (nonspecific admissions decision)

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:21 pm

I wouldn't take Vandy over Duke or UVA without serious cash. Between UVA and Duke, your "friend" should visit the two schools and get a feel for which environment is preferable.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:44 pm

First I would say that, Duke and UVA (and MVPDNCB in general) are all peer schools if you look at nlj250 and clerkship placement. Personally I picked duke over michigan (and UVA I guess, by deciding not to ED there), not because I wanted a southern school for the sake of it being "southern" but rather based on fit and regional reputation (I rather have a better rep in the southeast then the midwest, and job prospects in general are equal.) I think most people who want southern schools want them for similar reasons, not just because they have a romanticized idea of going to the best southern school. When comparing UVA and Duke specifically I would say to pick based on money, then personal fit. The two are very distinct in class size, types of schools they are attached to, and I have heard, the students they attract. People I know who have visited vandy love it as well, and while its job prospects aren't quite on the same level, I would have probably have taken it with decent money over duke/uva if at full sticker. I would say though that students at the southern schools seem to have a reputation for being less miserable/having more fun then their northern counterparts.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:16 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:First I would say that, Duke and UVA (and MVPDNCB in general) are all peer schools if you look at nlj250 and clerkship placement. Personally I picked duke over michigan (and UVA I guess, by deciding not to ED there), not because I wanted a southern school for the sake of it being "southern" but rather based on fit and regional reputation (I rather have a better rep in the southeast then the midwest, and job prospects in general are equal.) I think most people who want southern schools want them for similar reasons, not just because they have a romanticized idea of going to the best southern school. When comparing UVA and Duke specifically I would say to pick based on money, then personal fit. The two are very distinct in class size, types of schools they are attached to, and I have heard, the students they attract. People I know who have visited vandy love it as well, and while its job prospects aren't quite on the same level, I would have probably have taken it with decent money over duke/uva if at full sticker. I would say though that students at the southern schools seem to have a reputation for being less miserable/having more fun then their northern counterparts.
Care to elaborate on that?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:23 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:I think most people who want southern schools want them for similar reasons, not just because they have a romanticized idea of going to the best southern school.
You'd be surprised bro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:36 pm

rad law wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:I think most people who want southern schools want them for similar reasons, not just because they have a romanticized idea of going to the best southern school.
You'd be surprised bro.
I could be, I've grown up and gone to school in the south and never heard that sentiment. I have never really seen it on these boards either. Whatever though, I might just not be aware because it's not the type of thing that comes up much in conversation.

To whitman: I really can't compare the two student bodies from personal experience. I am just relaying what I have heard from way too much time on these boards which is that duke is more studious/nerdy vs. uva's fratty. Personally I can't imagine UVA being anything more then a nerdy extremely watered down fratty (coming from a SEC greek). Personally I wouldn't worry about the personality of the students too much, I think most of the t-14 student bodies would probably be relatively similar.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:11 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
rad law wrote:
You'd be surprised bro.
I could be, I've grown up and gone to school in the south and never heard that sentiment. I have never really seen it on these boards either. Whatever though, I might just not be aware because it's not the type of thing that comes up much in conversation.
These boards are a special placed filled with gunnerish people. I have heard quite a few Southern people talk about how they want to go to the best Southern school possible. Then again, I bet this is less prevalent among people with the numbers to get into Duke and UVA. I hear it more in the context of UGA and Bama.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Is your friend a VA resident?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”