Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cmanheim

New

Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Post by cmanheim » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 pm

In terms of placement and lay prestige, which one is better?

fingersxd

Silver

Re: Columbia vs. Michigan vs. Penn vs. UVA

Post by fingersxd » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Short answer is Columbia.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 pm

fingersxd wrote:Short answer is Columbia.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Columbia, other three are peers. Is this a joke? Edit, and lol at "lay prestige," isn't that term, like, forbidden now?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Bronte wrote:Columbia, other three are peers. Is this a joke? Edit, and lol at "lay prestige," isn't that term, like, forbidden now?
Columbia still wins in lay prestige anyway.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:42 pm

bhan87 wrote:
Bronte wrote:Columbia, other three are peers. Is this a joke? Edit, and lol at "lay prestige," isn't that term, like, forbidden now?
Well it's Columbia >>> Penn > Michigan = UVA in terms of lay prestige, but lay prestige is like... well an analogy isn't coming to mind, but it's really derpy.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Bronte wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
Well it's Columbia >>> Penn > Michigan = UVA in terms of lay prestige, but lay prestige is like... well an analogy isn't coming to mind, but it's really derpy.
Concept of lay prestige also fluctuates from region to region and so, is largely a pointless consideration (i.e. lawyers know what is what and who cares what your FedEx delivery man thinks is better?). In the Midwest, I would guess Michigan > UVA/Penn. In the South I would guess UVA>Penn/Michigan.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:51 pm

fingersxd wrote:
Bronte wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
Concept of lay prestige also fluctuates from region to region and so, is largely a pointless consideration (i.e. lawyers know what is what and who cares what your FedEx delivery man thinks is better?). In the Midwest, I would guess Michigan > UVA/Penn. In the South I would guess UVA>Penn/Michigan.
I bet you get laid more at Michigan or Virginia. I've never been to Philly, but in NYC you better be prepared to play - you can't just... be cheering for the right football team or whatever.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:57 pm

I think people mischaracterize 'lay prestige' on TLS as some sort of pick-up line. Why do you think firms let you search their attorneys by law school? To capitalize on 'lay prestige'. It's real and, while it's by no means THE reason to pick a school, to say it's somehow non-existent is naive.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:01 pm

kwais wrote:I think people mischaracterize 'lay prestige' on TLS as some sort of pick-up line. Why do you think firms let you search their attorneys by law school? To capitalize on 'lay prestige'. It's real and, while it's by no means THE reason to pick a school, to say it's somehow non-existent is naive.
Now that you mention it, I'd never considered why firms let you search by school. I'm thinking it has nothing to do with lay prestige - no one is paying Quinn Emanuel because they've "heard of" the schools their attorneys went to. It's probably a networking mechanism of some kind? I guess - I'm not clear I'd want it on my website.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:05 pm

ahduth wrote:
kwais wrote:I think people mischaracterize 'lay prestige' on TLS as some sort of pick-up line. Why do you think firms let you search their attorneys by law school? To capitalize on 'lay prestige'. It's real and, while it's by no means The reason to pick a school, to say it's somehow non-existent is naive.
Now that you mention it, I'd never considered why firms let you search by school. I'm thinking it has nothing to do with lay prestige - no one is paying Quinn Emanuel because they've "heard of" the schools their attorneys went to. It's probably a networking mechanism of some kind? I guess - I'm not clear I'd want it on my website.
not sure if serious? If you are, I disagree. Having Harvard associates is a definite selling point of prestigious firms. A selling point both in and outside the legal community.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:09 pm

kwais wrote:
ahduth wrote:
kwais wrote:I think people mischaracterize 'lay prestige' on TLS as some sort of pick-up line. Why do you think firms let you search their attorneys by law school? To capitalize on 'lay prestige'. It's real and, while it's by no means The reason to pick a school, to say it's somehow non-existent is naive.
not sure if serious? If you are, I disagree. Having Harvard associates is a definite selling point of prestigious firms. A selling point both in and outside the legal community.
Entirely serious, and you're right - I'd want it as some sort of networking mechanism within the legal community. The opinions of people outside the legal community are irrelevant. They're not buying working from AmLaw 100 firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:11 pm

ahduth wrote:
kwais wrote:
ahduth wrote:
Entirely serious, and you're right - I'd want it as some sort of networking mechanism within the legal community. The opinions of people outside the legal community are irrelevant. They're not buying working from AmLaw 100 firms.
What? who are their clients then?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:12 pm

kwais wrote:What? who are their clients then?
GC offices.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Columbia, return to arguing about stupid shit

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:17 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Columbia, return to arguing about stupid shit
Thanks, I should've said GC offices and the government.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:27 pm

ahduth wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Columbia, return to arguing about stupid shit
Thanks, I should've said GC offices and the government.
I'm just amused by how when people ask questions on TLS, they usually end up getting answers to something entirely different.

New

Post by 5110 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:30 pm

And in between Michigan and Penn?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:32 pm

5110 wrote:And in between Michigan and Penn?
Go with the money or preferred location.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Bronte wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
Penn has more lay-prestige outside of NYC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:31 pm

rayiner wrote:
Bronte wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
Penn has more lay-prestige outside of NYC.
I know that's true on the east coast. Does that also hold in the midwest and west coast? Being an ivy I imagine it does, but just curious.

New

Post by 5110 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:20 pm

A lot of people on this site make fun of Penn by calling it Penn State, I see no such jokes being made about Michigan (Michigan State), sometimes I wonder if this is indicative of anything?

That said, if one was interested in NYC and choosing between Penn and Michigan, I assume Penn could come out on top?

Edit: typo
Last edited by 5110 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:23 pm

5110 wrote:A lot of people on this site make fun of Penn by calling it Penn State, I see no such jokes being made about Michigan (Michigan State), sometimes I wonder if this indicative of anything?

That said, if one was interested in NYC and choosing between Penn and Michigan, I assume Penn could come out on top?
Yes. M=P. Broadly speaking they are peer schools and Penn would be a fine choice for NYC.

IMO, money and comfort at the school would really be the deciding factors at that point.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:31 pm

fingersxd wrote:I know that's true on the east coast. Does that also hold in the midwest and west coast? Being an ivy I imagine it does, but just curious.
Certainly not in Chicago. Penn is basically some school no one cares about, and Michigan is where a pile of power brokers in the city went to school. Hell there are U of Michigan bars in Chicago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”