Twin Cities 20k vs. U of Arizona 25k Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thinktankdonahue

New

Twin Cities 20k vs. U of Arizona 25k

Post by thinktankdonahue » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:01 pm

I was offered $20k per year to UMinn and paid deposit and had plans to go. A few days ago Arizona called me with an admission offer and offered me $25k a year. Minn. requires a 2.5 gpa and Arizona only requires good standing. I would ideally like to work at a bigger firm in the Bay Area and have some connections there (cousins). The harsh winters of the Northern Midwest seemed like a problem in moving to the Twin Cities anyways. I really am torn at which school to choose at this point in time. Any advice/thoughts?

PinkCow

Silver

Re: Twin Cities 20k vs. U of Arizona 25k

Post by PinkCow » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:10 pm

thinktankdonahue wrote:I was offered $20k per year to UMinn and paid deposit and had plans to go. A few days ago Arizona called me with an admission offer and offered me $25k a year. Minn. requires a 2.5 gpa and Arizona only requires good standing. I would ideally like to work at a bigger firm in the Bay Area and have some connections there (cousins). The harsh winters of the Northern Midwest seemed like a problem in moving to the Twin Cities anyways. I really am torn at which school to choose at this point in time. Any advice/thoughts?
Both of these are good/decent regional schools, but neither will put you in a great place nationally. Especially California bay area (think of all of the other great schools in the region). If you go to Minn or Arizona, chances are good that (law) jobs will be limited to the region. Since you hate the cold midwest, Arizona might be a better choice.

Also 2.5 at Minn is basically good standing. Median is something like 3.25, so if you're below a 2.5, you have a lot more to worry about than losing your scholarship. Pretty much a wash there.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:20 pm

Minnesota can be competitive. Arizona might be a bit more relaxed.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:09 am

Neither of these schools will get you a job in the Bay Area. Choose whichever you like better.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:41 am

And figure that where you graduate is where you will end up making your career. Me? I'd take Tucson at a slow walk. But I've lived in the desert for a lot of years so I know it suits me.
Last edited by BeautifulSW on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:48 am

I believe that historically, some graduates from every class from Arizona work in CA. While that means relatively little, if you know you will be in CA (and will get a job through connections), Arizona may be the better bet.

Side note: use the Minnesota scholarship to get more money from Arizona.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”