Fordham (sticker) v. Brooklyn (full ride) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Fordham at sticker
47%
Brooklyn with a full scholarship
53%

Total votes: 66

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Fordham (sticker) v. Brooklyn (full ride)

Post by BeachandRun23 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:46 am

My friend just got off the fordham waitlist. Fordham would be at sticker and significant financial debt. Brooklyn would be a full ride, so he/she would only have to pay for housing.

My friend is dead set on NYC and would like to do biglaw.

Opinions?

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Fordham (sticker) v. Brooklyn (full ride)

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:01 pm

If you want biglaw and are debt averse, then neither.

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:17 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:My friend just got off the fordham waitlist. Fordham would be at sticker and significant financial debt. Brooklyn would be a full ride, so he/she would only have to pay for housing.

Opinions?
Bolded part probably isn't true. Unless your "friend" has wealth you're not telling us about, he would also have to pay for 3 years of food, clothes, transportation, utilities, books, entertainment and possibly health insurance. All in the most expensive city in the country. It could come to almost 100K in debt.

But still, I voted Brooklyn. I don't think a 1 in 4 chance at Biglaw is worth taking on a still further 140K in debt.

CAVEAT: Does the Brooklyn scholly have the top 40% stip? If so, that's a problem.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Another thing, why do people constantly post for their "friend" when it is really for them? This is an online, anonymous forum.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Robespierre wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:My friend just got off the fordham waitlist. Fordham would be at sticker and significant financial debt. Brooklyn would be a full ride, so he/she would only have to pay for housing.

Opinions?
Bolded part probably isn't true. Unless your "friend" has wealth you're not telling us about, he would also have to pay for 3 years of food, clothes, transportation, utilities, books, entertainment and possibly health insurance. All in the most expensive city in the country. It could come to almost 100K in debt.

But still, I voted Brooklyn. I don't think a 1 in 4 chance at Biglaw is worth taking on a still further 140K in debt.

CAVEAT: Does the Brooklyn scholly have the top 40% stip? If so, that's a problem.
Brooklyn has the top 40% stips and clothes, food, transportation...etc are valid expenses but they have to be paid whether you go to law school or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:52 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Another thing, why do people constantly post for their "friend" when it is really for them? This is an online, anonymous forum.
It isnt for me. My friend doesnt use TLS and I was curious to see what TLS would do. Check my post history, ive never mentioned either of the two schools before.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:19 pm

Top 40% stip doesn't matter. If OP's friend is not in the top 40% at BLS, OP's friend is better off dropping out anyway.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Take BLS, give up on biglaw, and drop out if you lose the scholarship.
-or-
Retake/reapply for a better school than Fordham if you sincerely want biglaw.

atxkid

New

Post by atxkid » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:29 pm

I think Fordham gives a good chance at a good career. I was surprised but I met a few international lawyers who were working for Nato and they loved Fordham and had lots of things to say about it.

Brooklyn they did not comment about.

Maybe it was just by chance, but it was kind of cool to hear that they believed that Fordham has a great education.

What is ur friend leaning towards? BLS of F?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:45 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:
Robespierre wrote:

Opinions?

Brooklyn has the top 40% stips and clothes, food, transportation...etc are valid expenses but they have to be paid whether you go to law school or not.
Re: the bolded, yes, but if you're not in LS you probably wouldn't be paying them with money borrowed from a bank, with interest and non-dischargeable in bankruptcy!

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:12 pm

atxkid wrote:I think Fordham gives a good chance at a good career. I was surprised but I met a few international lawyers who were working for Nato and they loved Fordham and had lots of things to say about it.

Brooklyn they did not comment about.

Maybe it was just by chance, but it was kind of cool to hear that they believed that Fordham has a great education.

What is ur friend leaning towards? BLS of F?
Fordham

Lolek

New

Post by Lolek » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Fordham.

However, it depends on the type of person he is. You're essentially paying for the opportunity, and it will be up to him and his skills to take advantage of that opportunity and beat out others. If he believes he has what it takes to do that, go to Fordham.

If he is waivering about his future performance, might as well go to BLS.

If he is risk averse, go to BLS.

atxkid

New

Post by atxkid » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:54 am

So what did he choose?

I chose Fordham.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Chippy

New

Post by Chippy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Only clueless 0L with zero reference point would go to Fordham at sticker. I would be worried even with 1/2 ride.

"Risk Averse"? Really? To be worried about 210k worth of toxic debt? Even if you are privileged enough to get biglaw, that debt is like a high-interest, toxic mortgage. The government will not subsidize the vast majority of the debt (only 8.5k worth per year), so it is growing every year you are in school. Many years of biglaw would be required to service that amount of debt. If you don't get biglaw (like the majority of your class), you become a complete debt slave for the rest of your days.

If you don't retake or find a different profession, I would go to BLS a year, and drop out if I wasn't in the top 25 percent of my class after 1l.

Chippy

New

Post by Chippy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:32 pm

atxkid wrote:So what did he choose?

I chose Fordham.
Fordham 0Ls attempting to rationalize their potentially devastating financial decisions.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:26 pm

I am a Fordham alum and I would love for your friend to go to Fordham but if he isn't born with a silver spoon, he should go to Brooklyn.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Chose Fordham basically sticker last year. Going into 2L...worst mistake I've ever made in my entire life. I has put me back significantly and I dread waking up each morning.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:09 am

Keep your head up. You will find something.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:23 am

Robespierre wrote: Bolded part probably isn't true. Unless your "friend" has wealth you're not telling us about, he would also have to pay for 3 years of food, clothes, transportation, utilities, books, entertainment and possibly health insurance. All in the most expensive city in the country. It could come to almost 100K in debt.

1) There is no reason a young single person needs the equivalent of an after-tax income of $33K to live in Brooklyn while attending law school. BLS offers subsidized (below market) housing, and a roommate situation a few subway stops away can be had even cheaper.

2) I doubt Fordham is even 1/4 Biglaw in the current climate.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 am

blsingindisguise wrote:
Robespierre wrote: Bolded part probably isn't true. Unless your "friend" has wealth you're not telling us about, he would also have to pay for 3 years of food, clothes, transportation, utilities, books, entertainment and possibly health insurance. All in the most expensive city in the country. It could come to almost 100K in debt.

1) There is no reason a young single person needs the equivalent of an after-tax income of $33K to live in Brooklyn while attending law school. BLS offers subsidized (below market) housing, and a roommate situation a few subway stops away can be had even cheaper.

2) I doubt Fordham is even 1/4 Biglaw in the current climate.
What's BLS's %?

Look, I think debt is an important factor to consider but I think it would be somewhat disingenuous to say that there are not differences in employment outcomes between the two. It's fine to troll for your school but don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:12 am

Bronx Bum wrote:Chose Fordham basically sticker last year. Going into 2L...worst mistake I've ever made in my entire life. I has put me back significantly and I dread waking up each morning.
That's so hardcore. Could you elaborate?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:34 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:Chose Fordham basically sticker last year. Going into 2L...worst mistake I've ever made in my entire life. I has put me back significantly and I dread waking up each morning.
That's so hardcore. Could you elaborate?
This.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:35 am

bk187 wrote:Take BLS, give up on biglaw, and drop out if you lose the scholarship.
-or-
Retake/reapply for a better school than Fordham if you sincerely want biglaw.
Also this.
Lolek wrote:Fordham.

However, it depends on the type of person he is. You're essentially paying for the opportunity, and it will be up to him and his skills to take advantage of that opportunity and beat out others. If he believes he has what it takes to do that, go to Fordham.

If he is waivering about his future performance, might as well go to BLS.

If he is risk averse, go to BLS.
You don't know if you have what it takes, and you really can't know. That's the problem.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Master Tofu wrote: 2) I doubt Fordham is even 1/4 Biglaw in the current climate.
What's BLS's %?

Look, I think debt is an important factor to consider but I think it would be somewhat disingenuous to say that there are not differences in employment outcomes between the two. It's fine to troll for your school but don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.[/quote]

Lol BLS is around 5%. I would never suggest that anyone has a realistic shot of biglaw going into BLS. Not throwing stones at all, just pointing out something that might be unrealistic in the comparison. 1 in 4 still sounds like a pretty good shot to some people. What if it's 1 in 5, 1 in 6, 1 in 7? Honestly neither school is a good option if you really want biglaw -- your best bet in that case is to retake the LSAT and aim higher. But if a person must choose between these two, I would say BLS with the full ride. From talking to friends at Fordham, I'm glad I made that choice.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:20 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:1 in 4 still sounds like a pretty good shot to some people.
Yeah, to people who can't do math.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”