Advice Needed: Penn State or Villanova Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
smf298

New

Advice Needed: Penn State or Villanova

Post by smf298 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:00 pm

I applied as a transfer student to Villanova and Penn State. I was accepted at Villanova and I am currently under review at Penn State. Since I haven't been accepted at Penn State yet, I realize that this question is premature but which do you think is the better chocie?

I've been thinking about this for awhile, but I'm having a hard time deciding so I figured the next logical step would be to ask complete strangers for their opinions. With that said.. please help!

P.S. I would like to work in the Philadelphia market upon graduating.

Thanks!

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Advice Needed: Penn State or Villanova

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Nova- but did you apply to Temple?

smf298

New

Post by smf298 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks for your opinion :)

I didn't apply to Temple. It was probably a mistake not to apply, but at the time I didn't think I would have the grades for it and wasn't crazy about the location. So it's only between Penn State and Villanova.

I've been leaning toward Villanova this whole time, but just wanted to hear what others thought.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:14 pm

smf298 wrote:Thanks for your opinion :)

I didn't apply to Temple. It was probably a mistake not to apply, but at the time I didn't think I would have the grades for it and wasn't crazy about the location. So it's only between Penn State and Villanova.

I've been leaning toward Villanova this whole time, but just wanted to hear what others thought.
I'd be worried about prospects as a transfer into Nova...I assume you come from a TTTT? But it is far better than PSU for Philly.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:17 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
smf298 wrote:Thanks for your opinion :)

I'd be worried about prospects as a transfer into Nova...I assume you come from a TTTT? But it is far better than PSU for Philly.
Hate to break the perception, but Temple and Villanova place identically in the City.

OP, as much as I'd love to see a new face in the 2L class at Nova, if you're treated as a median student as OCI (which is the norm), it won't be an easy job search. What are your goals - and do you have any specific connections to Philly?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smf298

New

Post by smf298 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:19 pm

I am concerned about transferring, but it beats staying at Widener. I always had a high gpa, but a low LSAT score made me the perfect waitlist candidate.

I'm hoping I'll be okay at Villanova. I am still eligible to graduate with honors and be a member of the journals.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:21 pm

smf298 wrote:I am concerned about transferring, but it beats staying at Widener. I always had a high gpa, but a low LSAT score made me the perfect waitlist candidate.

I'm hoping I'll be okay at Villanova. I am still eligible to graduate with honors and be a member of the journals.
Widener actually does alright despite its TTTT status. I don't believe you're eligible for journals this year, FYI. Journal invites go out in less then a week. Or is there is an accelerated contest for transfers that I don't know about?

smf298

New

Post by smf298 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:24 pm

Beach- I made the decision to transfer knowing the disadvantages I would face during OCI. In the long run, however, I think transferring was the right decision.

I have a few connections in Philly, but not many. I'll really have to try and sell myself, I guess.

How is Villanova? Any advice ?

smf298

New

Post by smf298 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:26 pm

beach_terror wrote:
smf298 wrote:I am concerned about transferring, but it beats staying at Widener. I always had a high gpa, but a low LSAT score made me the perfect waitlist candidate.

Widener actually does alright despite its TTTT status. I don't believe you're eligible for journals this year, FYI. Journal invites go out in less then a week. Or is there is an accelerated contest for transfers that I don't know about?

I am not sure about the journal details. (still waiting for my letter in the mail) However, I am assuming it's not for this year. Another disadvantage, but as long as I can put it on my resume after I graduate I think it will be fine.

Widener is at a severe disadvantage in the Philly market. It's actually not that bad of a school, but I don't want to have to defend my school during an interview. You know what I mean?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:43 pm

Yeah, I get you on wanting to leave. I turned down a full ride there for those exact reasons. Since you're going Widener -> Nova, it's clear you're interested in working in the tri-state area too - which is a good thing.

Personally, I love Villanova. I'm not crazy about our administration. I know a few TTTT/TTT transfers in the above class who seem to be pretty happy with their decision. Do well 2L and just get ready to hustle (like the rest of us, ha). Just out of curiosity, what kind of job are you looking for (firm, PI, govt, etc.)?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Flip a coin since you want Philadelphia, otherwise Penn State is the better choice.

mixmasterehd

New

Post by mixmasterehd » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:26 pm

also a widener DE student who was accepted into nova as a transfer. any advice?

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:51 pm

dude, just retake

smf298

New

Post by smf298 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:50 pm

beach_terror wrote:Yeah, I get you on wanting to leave. I turned down a full ride there for those exact reasons. Since you're going Widener -> Nova, it's clear you're interested in working in the tri-state area too - which is a good thing.

Personally, I love Villanova. I'm not crazy about our administration. I know a few TTTT/TTT transfers in the above class who seem to be pretty happy with their decision. Do well 2L and just get ready to hustle (like the rest of us, ha). Just out of curiosity, what kind of job are you looking for (firm, PI, govt, etc.)?

Glad to hear you love Nova. I have a feeling I am going to love it there as well. I am going apartment searching this weekend actually.

Haha.. I will definitely get ready to hustle. As a transfer student, I feel like the underdog so I have plenty of motivation to work as hard as possible.

I think I am most interested in working at a firm. I still haven't decided what type of law I am most interested in practicing though. I'm hoping to figure that out within the next year. If the economy doesn't improve by the time we graduate, I'll take whatever job I can get. How about you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”