MSA at IUPUI or MSHRM/MBA at U Tex Arlington ....Law??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
needsomeadvicenow

New

MSA at IUPUI or MSHRM/MBA at U Tex Arlington ....Law???

Post by needsomeadvicenow » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Ok, I know this is TLS, and I know this is like comparing apples to oranges but I am 30, spent almost all my life in the Military and am not really qualified to do anything making the type of income I would like (at least 50-60K). I need some advice from people who have been to school. My GMAT score is rather poor, only a 470, but I got accepted to the MSA program at IUPUI and the MSHRM/MBA dual degree at U Texas Arlington. I would prefer to live in the Texas area but not completly against Indy/Chicago. Please throw some advice at me on what you would do or what you think I should do and why. Both degrees get me in and out in around 18 months, and I could fake the funk a little better on a HR or Managment Resume with my Military Background, but in reality I dont have a lick of HR or Accounting Experience. I need to make a decision NOW for fall semester.

On a side note, I have always considered Law School. My undergrad GPA is around 3.15 and my practice LSATS come out to about 155. But considering my age and maybe no longer having oppurtunities on Active Military I am concerned about my future. I don't think With my numbers I could ger into the caliber schools (TOP 20 or so) that make a difference in Legal Employment, however I have always been fascinated by law, and think I would love it. (think)

Anyways I have around 45K in total debt right now already combined from life/student loans/credit cards and so fourth. I still have 17K of loan repayment benefit to come from the reserves and have 5 months remaining of Chapter 33 GI Bill (Free School).

Can you guys try and talk some sense into me? I really can't dont want to miss another semester of possibly getting on with it to think it over. Talk to me.

needsomeadvicenow

New

Re: MSA at IUPUI or MSHRM/MBA at U Tex Arlington ....Law???

Post by needsomeadvicenow » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Oh, and my bachelors is useless. So don't even include it. The original plan was to get out, get a degree in anything and Jump right back into Army OCS, but the downsizing has killed me, and for the moment I dont qualify.

And yes I know 45k of debt is retarded, dont remind me.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:46 pm

I don't think either of those schools will help you at all. But neither will whatever law school you can get into with a 3.2/155.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:51 pm

People overestimate the uselessness of a bachelors. Find some path where you can work your way up because I don't see any way that the graduate school options you have are even close to worth it, especially when compared to actually working.

needsomeadvicenow

New

Post by needsomeadvicenow » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:08 pm

I appreciate the responses, but I have to ask, how can a graduate accounting degree, at a minimum, from the Kelley School of Business that would make me eligbile to sit for CPA exam, that could virtually be free from here on out with my remaining education benefits not be worth it at all? Especially considering my Bachelors is in Crim Justice and cannot land me even a 40K anywhere outside of the military?

Please explain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

needsomeadvicenow

New

Post by needsomeadvicenow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:58 am

Bump

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:20 am

Simply being eligible to sit for the CPA exam isn't all that valuable. You still have to pass the CPA exam for it to be worthwhile, and that's far from a guarantee (four sections, pass rate on each section individually is around 45%). Do you have any accounting background? Without a solid knowledge base the exam will be very difficult to pass. If you want to go into public accounting, you might be better off returning to UG for an accounting degree, but I doubt that's really what you want to do.

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:24 am

You may want to try getting in touch with the Lucas group and whatever that other headhunting firm that focuses on ex-military is, Clark Cameron, or something. They could probably help you find a decent operations management job making 50-80k in a factory somewhere. They may only do officers, though, not completely sure. Also, ACAP Job Fairs are worth hitting up. The ACAP counselors are actually a decent resource for finding a job in the private sector.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Ah, I didn't realize your schooling would be free. But the posters above me seem to have solid advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”