.. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: U of Akron, Cleveland State, OSU, Case

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:36 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
sharklasers wrote:A person could go to Yale and come out unemployed. A person can go to Akron and come out employed and happy. It's all about your willingness to hustle and get out there and network.
LOL. I could win the lottery tomorrow.
You would if you hustled enough and networked better.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
sharklasers wrote:A person could go to Yale and come out unemployed. A person can go to Akron and come out employed and happy. It's all about your willingness to hustle and get out there and network.
LOL. I could win the lottery tomorrow.
You would if you hustled enough and networked better.
Damn, I wish someone would have told me that when I was 18.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
lol.............

I guess all the Akron grads I ran across while living in Ohio were non-hustlers who weren't getting out and networking then. Akron Law grads generally do all right in Akron and the surrounding area, but Akron is a complete shit hole. I grew up near there; it's not like I'm completely talking without firsthand experience.
This is right. Akron is a shitty school in a shitty town, and you will never ever escape it if you go there. Lived 20 minutes outside of Crackron for all of middle and high school.

deebo12

New

Post by deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
lol.............

I guess all the Akron grads I ran across while living in Ohio were non-hustlers who weren't getting out and networking then. Akron Law grads generally do all right in Akron and the surrounding area, but Akron is a complete shit hole. I grew up near there; it's not like I'm completely talking without firsthand experience.

I lived in Kent for awhile. Akron is crap. But so is much of Ohio, frankly. Guh.

deebo12

New

Post by deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Last edited by deebo12 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Actually, going to a good school and getting good grades is how you get a job.

deebo12

New

Post by deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:23 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Actually, going to a good school and getting good grades is how you get a job.

Now it feels like I'm getting trolled. I'm trying to talk about other aspects of getting a job, but all I keep getting is the same dogmatic response. Just looking for a conversation, not an argument.

sharklasers

New

Post by sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Ignore ndirish, he's a troll whose schtick is acting like all that matters is going to a "high ranked" school and getting good grades.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:27 pm

deebo12 wrote:Networking, I'm noticing, matters the most. Maybe I could succeed if I goto a shit school like Santa Clara, pay a shit ton of money, and have some good fortune making connections in the area.
Or maybe it won't work out and then you'll be 200K in the hole.

I think that if networking is the most important factor for getting a legal job, then there should not be such differences in employment and salary outcomes from different schools. Or maybe the top schools are also selecting the top networkers? School matters for the job, and the LSAT matters for the school, therefore the LSAT matters for the job.

Retake and don't gamble with your life by going to a law school with mediocre employment prospects.
Last edited by scammedhard on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:28 pm

sharklasers wrote:Ignore ndirish, he's a troll whose schtick is acting like all that matters is going to a "high ranked" school and getting good grades.
LOL. That's pretty much most of it. That, and don't be a douche during interviews.

deebo12

New

Post by deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Last edited by deebo12 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deebo12

New

Post by deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Last edited by deebo12 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:33 pm

deebo12 wrote:I get that it's important in some ways. I don't disagree. And this is a forum devoted to nervous high achievers where they can discuss each others high scores and gpas, but that shouldn't mean there can't be any room to talk about other schools. Why they are dismissed so quickly, I don't understand.

Yes, it's hard to get a job in law. Yes, there's a glut of lawyers. Would it help to come from a good school? Of course. Does that mean going to anything less is a mistake? Does this answer have to be yes?

What about when I look up law firms around Ohio, and see many new associates come from CSU and Akron? How do you explain that? There's no website that tabulates that.
I think it's a matter of odds and risk. I am sure that some Cooley grads find legal jobs, good ones; I am also sure that some Harvards grads end up unemployed/underemployed, or in shitty jobs. But what matters is the overall trend. Why put oneself in a very risky situation by attending a TTT?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:34 pm

If you don't want to end up in Ohio, stick with programming.

And the new associates from Akron and Cleveland State are the exceptions, not the rule. You can't guarantee that you'll be in the top of your class, so you should attend a school where you wouldn't mind graduating at median.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:35 pm

deebo12 wrote:
sharklasers wrote:Ignore ndirish, he's a troll whose schtick is acting like all that matters is going to a "high ranked" school and getting good grades.

I get that it's important in some ways. I don't disagree. And this is a forum devoted to nervous high achievers where they can discuss each others high scores and gpas, but that shouldn't mean there can't be any room to talk about other schools. Why they are dismissed so quickly, I don't understand.

Yes, it's hard to get a job in law. Yes, there's a glut of lawyers. Would it help to come from a good school? Of course. Does that mean going to anything less is a mistake? Does this answer have to be yes?

What about when I look up law firms around Ohio, and see many new associates come from CSU and Akron? How do you explain that? There's no website that tabulates that.
There's also a big list of people who have won the lottery.

Nervous high-achievers haha. Getting a high LSAT score and high UGPA =/= being a "high-achiever."

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:37 pm

deebo12 wrote:I'm already 80k in the hole from getting a BA in English, Polysci, and MA in Polysci, graduating 2 years ago and discovering they don't lead to a job worth more than 15/hr. Might as well fuck it up more. Bleh.

This is why pursuing something other than more school is such a strong option for me - be it software engineering or something else.
And what is your brilliant solution? Acquire even more debt to accumulate even more useless degrees.

I like your "software engineering" option. I am a CS myself, and the field is doing really well right now. In the foreseeable future, I think career prospects are looking good.

Why am I in TLS and law school? I have a full ride to a T14, and that takes care of a lot of the risk associated with law school.
Last edited by scammedhard on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sharklasers

New

Post by sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:37 pm

Moving from California to Ohio is ... there's nothing to express how horrible that would be. You'd pretty much want to die every day, and twice a day in the winter.

Edit: And that's ignoring the fact that you'd be trapped in law school for three years with law students. Shitty law students. Just the thought of it makes me want to cover my head with a plastic bag and breathe deeply.
Last edited by sharklasers on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

deebo12

New

Post by deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:38 pm

To everyone commenting - thanks a lot for the conversation, I appreciate it a lot.

To irish, please stop trolling me. Yes, saying high achievers was a little slanted and unwarranted.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:39 pm

deebo12 wrote:To everyone commenting - thanks a lot for the conversation, I appreciate it a lot.

To irish, please stop trolling me. Yes, saying high achievers was a little slanted and unwarranted.
Good luck!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:39 pm

I don't troll. I just try to get people to think twice (or three times?) about wasting money on a worthless degree. I had no idea there was something bad about that.

deebo12

New

Post by deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:43 pm

Last edited by deebo12 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deebo12

New

Post by deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:48 pm

sharklasers wrote:Moving from California to Ohio is ... there's nothing to express how horrible that would be. You'd pretty much want to die every day, and twice a day in the winter.

Edit: And that's ignoring the fact that you'd be trapped in law school for three years with law students. Shitty law students. Just the thought of it makes me want to cover my head with a plastic bag and breathe deeply.
I grew up in Ohio and only left a year ago. Going back would feel... regressive.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:50 pm

deebo12 wrote:I don't have a 'brilliant solution,' that's why I'm trying to put my situation in perspective by sharing it with others. Debt just feels like a fact of life to me. My prospects aren't as rosy as yours, that's why I'm trying to be realistic and consider what to do. Maybe further debt is less of a risk if I already don't have great prospects with my current debt - who knows.
I didn't mean to sound offensive, if that's how you took it. I am just trying to provide my opinion.

Between going to a TTT and learning/switching to Computer Science/Software Engineering, the latter seems like a much more safe and productive option, both in the short- and long-term. Maybe you'll program the next Watson, JD, that will make most lawyers obsolete.

Good luck!

deebo12

New

Post by deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Last edited by deebo12 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:24 am

sharklasers wrote:Moving from California to Ohio is ... there's nothing to express how horrible that would be. You'd pretty much want to die every day, and twice a day in the winter.
Yeah because inconvenient cold weather and the occasional snowfall is much worse than the inevitable gigantic fucking earthquake that will devastate life in California one day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”