Before Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
temahn

New

Before Law School

Post by temahn » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Hello everyone, I am wondering how going to the Peace Corpe for two years before going to Law School will help my chances to get into a good law program. Input is appreciated.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: Before Law School

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Too Arbitrary. Will not answer.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Were you planning on doing Peace Corps regardless of its potential effect on getting into law schools?

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

It'll probably have a marginal effect (positive)

Of course, it goes without saying that the Peace Corps is a huge commitment, and shouldn't be done just to improve admissions chances.

rangers0412

New

Post by rangers0412 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Until # of peace corp members entering the incoming class has an effect on a schools USN ranking I wouldnt bank on it helping you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:29 pm

temahn wrote:Hello everyone, I am wondering how going to the Peace Corpe for two years before going to Law School will help my chances to get into a good law program. Input is appreciated.
It will help on the margin, especially if you're looking to do public interest, but you'll still need to clear number ranges if you want to get in at a given school. The thing to remember is that just about everyone applying to law school is fairly driven and accordingly, has some unique factors to their application to make them stand out. As such, by the far the most helpful thing you can do is max out your LSAT score if you're finished with school, and if you're still in school, max out your GPA in addition to maxing out your LSAT.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:39 pm

It probably wont be such a big factor in admissions but it may help for some Public Interest jobs which require some public service background after law school.

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:04 pm

cinephile wrote:Were you planning on doing Peace Corps regardless of its potential effect on getting into law schools?
this, if your only doing it for the slight positive then don't. if however you really want to then go ahead, it will be a great experience, i think

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”