Wake Forest at sticker or Villanova with scholly Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wake Forest or Villanova? Dear God, please vote

Wake Forest
61%
Villanova
39%

Total votes: 28

riskybusiness11

New

Wake Forest at sticker or Villanova with scholly

Post by riskybusiness11 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:38 am

Cannot decide between Wake Forest and Villanova. Here's the deal:

I visited both schools in April. LOVED Wake Forest. Liked Villanova well enough. Would much rather live in North Carolina post-graduation BUT Nova offered me $25k/year with a 3.15 GPA stip and Wake offered me nothing.

I have worked out every scenario in my head, written out the pros and cons list and still can't decide. Please vote. I am two seconds away from flipping a coin so your opinions are appreciated.
Last edited by riskybusiness11 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Wake Forest at sticker or Villanova with scholly

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:40 am

If you can stand living in Philly after graduation, Nova. If not, retake/reapply/get money at Carolina or Wake.

riskybusiness11

New

Post by riskybusiness11 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:01 am

So Wake Forest is not worth sticker?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:06 am

Certainly no school outside the T14 is worth sticker. I would extend that to T10 at least.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:10 am

Many state (public) law schools are worth in-state tuition if one intends on remaining in the area to practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

riskybusiness11

New

Post by riskybusiness11 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:16 am

People voting seem to think Wake is worth it.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:17 am

Sample size...

Pipster30

New

Post by Pipster30 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:19 am

Current Wake student here.

If you are going to be in the top 25% of your class and you can get onto either Law Review or Moot Court, then Wake will likely be worth full sticker (and by "worth full sticker" I mean you will have a good chance of securing employment post-graduation that will allow you to pay down your student debt and still live comfortably).

Since Wake hasn't offered you any scholarship money, I'll assume your LSAT and GPA aren't significantly above Wake's medians. Based on that assumption, the odds on a purely mathematically basis that you'll be in the top 25% aren't good.

I don't know you, and I'm not hating on you. But take Villanova's money. You're better off being in ~$60,000 of debt rather than ~$140,000+.

riskybusiness11

New

Post by riskybusiness11 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:20 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Sample size...
lolz. I get your point. This sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:21 am

you loved wake forest and want to be in north carolina after graduation. IMO your option should be wake forest now or increase your score and apply to wake andUNC next cycle for scholarship purposes. if you dont think you can do better on the LSAT then go to wake forest.

dont got to villanova with the intention of going back to NC. Have you tried to get wake to offer you anything??

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:33 pm

I reluctantly voted for Villanova because Wake at sticker is just too much risk/debt. My actual vote is to retake/reapply, and possibly move to NC so that you can have a shot at UNC as an "in-stater." If you want NC, UNC (in-state) is the school where you should go.

riskybusiness11

New

Post by riskybusiness11 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm flipping a coin.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:12 pm

another wf student here. do not pay sticker. too big of a gamble. take the $ at nova or retake.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

riskybusiness11

New

Post by riskybusiness11 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:00 pm

So let me throw in another wrench...if I told you I had a guaranteed job after graduation where I would make a six-digit salary (in Las Vegas if all else failed), would you think Wake was a good choice then?

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:07 pm

riskybusiness11 wrote:So let me throw in another wrench...if I told you I had a guaranteed job after graduation where I would make a six-digit salary (in Las Vegas if all else failed), would you think Wake was a good choice then?
A six-digit salary from either school would be very hard to get ITE, and most likely the same applies in 2014. So why pay extra money at Wake when you can get the exact same thing from Nova? Go to Nova and take the job in 2014.

riskybusiness11

New

Post by riskybusiness11 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:12 pm

does it count for nothing that Wake was my absolute top choice? it's fine if it doesn't, but I need this spelled out for me.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:19 pm

riskybusiness11 wrote:does it count for nothing that Wake was my absolute top choice? it's fine if it doesn't, but I need this spelled out for me.
Assuming all the other costs are similar, by going to Wake over Nova, you'd be throwing away 75K. I don't think that living in Winston-Salem and attending Wake over Nova for 3 years is "worth" that much. Is it to you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

riskybusiness11

New

Post by riskybusiness11 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:29 pm

If I thought it wasn't this decision would be a lot easier. Then again, if I was sure it was worth it then the decision would also be made. Obviously I am incapable of making a choice.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:39 pm

riskybusiness11 wrote:If I thought it wasn't this decision would be a lot easier. Then again, if I was sure it was worth it then the decision would also be made. Obviously I am incapable of making a choice.
Obviously it is a personal choice. Perhaps because I am older and have dealt with more money issues (i.e., mortgages, loans, debts, cars payments, down payments, etc) than most TLSers, my perception about money is different. To me, 75K (tax free) seems like a lot of money. It would take several years of savings to accumulate that sum, even with a six-figure salary.

riskybusiness11

New

Post by riskybusiness11 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:45 pm

scammedhard wrote:
riskybusiness11 wrote:If I thought it wasn't this decision would be a lot easier. Then again, if I was sure it was worth it then the decision would also be made. Obviously I am incapable of making a choice.
Obviously it is a personal choice. Perhaps because I am older and have dealt with more money issues (i.e., mortgages, loans, debts, cars payments, down payments, etc) than most TLSers, my perception about money is different. To me, 75K (tax free) seems like a lot of money. It would take several years of savings to accumulate that sum, even with a six-figure salary.
Yeah it makes my stomach flip thinking about it, but I also can't imagine giving up Wake. I KNEW it was the right place for me immediately upon visiting. I don't have a good understanding of money (23, no bills, no debt, really careless) so I can't put it in perspective. It's helpful to get some outside opinion.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:16 pm

if you are 23 then would it really be that bad to wait out another year re take in october and see how it goes? If you got in this year- chances are good that you will get in next year- and another year off can allow you to work and save some more moeny?????

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

riskybusiness11

New

Post by riskybusiness11 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:04 pm

Pipster30 wrote:Current Wake student here.

If you are going to be in the top 25% of your class and you can get onto either Law Review or Moot Court, then Wake will likely be worth full sticker (and by "worth full sticker" I mean you will have a good chance of securing employment post-graduation that will allow you to pay down your student debt and still live comfortably).

Since Wake hasn't offered you any scholarship money, I'll assume your LSAT and GPA aren't significantly above Wake's medians. Based on that assumption, the odds on a purely mathematically basis that you'll be in the top 25% aren't good.

I don't know you, and I'm not hating on you. But take Villanova's money. You're better off being in ~$60,000 of debt rather than ~$140,000+.
My lsat is just above median and my gpa is 25th%. And nova with the scholly would still be $120k of loans so let's at least assess this with accurate numbers.

NarwhalPunter

New

Post by NarwhalPunter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:14 pm

riskybusiness11 wrote:

My lsat is just above median and my gpa is 25th%. And nova with the scholly would still be $120k of loans so let's at least assess this with accurate numbers.
Another Wake student here.

Do you realize that your monthly payments on your low cost option of $120k of debt will be about $1400/month when you get out? That means your first $24,000 or so of annual income will go towards nothing but loans. That. Is. A. Lot.

Now, if you go with your high roller option of Wake (estimating what, $180k or so of debt?) you're looking at $2100+ in monthly payments. That's an absurdly high payment amount if you're not going to make substantially more with the degree from Wake. You'd be devoting more than an additional $10,000 of your gross income just to have been in Winston for those three years.

Plus, I'm very suspicious of your claim regarding the guaranteed six digit job at a firm in Vegas. There are kids here whose parents are partners at big firms and they can't even get looked at without excellent grades. Just because you have an uncle who makes it rain at Greenberg Traurig out there doesn't mean anything is guaranteed. You need some serious, serious juice to pull off a guaranteed spot at a top firm regardless of grades. If you've got it, good for you.

riskybusiness11

New

Post by riskybusiness11 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:02 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:
riskybusiness11 wrote:

Another Wake student here.

Do you realize that your monthly payments on your low cost option of $120k of debt will be about $1400/month when you get out? That means your first $24,000 or so of annual income will go towards nothing but loans. That. Is. A. Lot.

Now, if you go with your high roller option of Wake (estimating what, $180k or so of debt?) you're looking at $2100+ in monthly payments. That's an absurdly high payment amount if you're not going to make substantially more with the degree from Wake. You'd be devoting more than an additional $10,000 of your gross income just to have been in Winston for those three years.

Plus, I'm very suspicious of your claim regarding the guaranteed six digit job at a firm in Vegas. There are kids here whose parents are partners at big firms and they can't even get looked at without excellent grades. Just because you have an uncle who makes it rain at Greenberg Traurig out there doesn't mean anything is guaranteed. You need some serious, serious juice to pull off a guaranteed spot at a top firm regardless of grades. If you've got it, good for you.
I understand your skepticism. It is a pretty sure thing, but of course there are no guarantees in life.

If I eliminate Wake Forest from this equation altogether, are you suggesting Villanova is not worth it either? $25k/year is a pretty large scholarship, and I don't think I can do any better (at least not at a school I want to go to). I am still undecided, but I appreciate all of the input.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Why is this thread still going? TCR is retake/reapply ---> Carolina or Wake with $$$

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”