Vandy vs. Texas Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Vandy 21k v. Texas 77k

Vandy
20%
Texas
80%

Total votes: 44

TheOcho

Bronze

Vandy vs. Texas

Post by TheOcho » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:59 pm

I feel like this is an easy decision but thought I'd get other opinions.

Texas $ totaling 77k

Vandy $ totaling 21 k.

Will Vandy match if I ask? If so, is there any significant advantage to Vandy over Texas? I want biglaw. Thanks!

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Vandy vs. Texas

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:06 pm

If you want to work in Texas, no brainer.

If not Texas, still probably UT unless Vandy increases money by a lot.

quixotical

Bronze

Post by quixotical » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:24 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:If you want to work in Texas, no brainer.

TITCR. Vanderbilt is expensive even with 21k. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the cost of living at Vandy would be higher than in Texas as well.

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:28 pm

There's a huge legal market in Texas, and Texas is T14 this year. In this case, you're making a sound investment by taking on extra debt.

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:30 pm

quixotical wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:If you want to work in Texas, no brainer.

TITCR. Vanderbilt is expensive even with 21k. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the cost of living at Vandy would be higher than in Texas as well.
I dunno, Austin is pretty expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quixotical

Bronze

Post by quixotical » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:30 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:There's a huge legal market in Texas, and Texas is T14 this year. In this case, you're making a sound investment by taking on extra debt.
I think you misunderstood. Texas is offering OP 77k.

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:31 pm

quixotical wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:There's a huge legal market in Texas, and Texas is T14 this year. In this case, you're making a sound investment by taking on extra debt.
Oh.

Why is there even a debate?

quixotical

Bronze

Post by quixotical » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:38 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:
quixotical wrote:
Oh.

I think because UT is a newcomer to the T14 whereas Vanderbilt is pretty established as a solid T20 and considered an honorary T14 by some. Vandy still has more lay prestige than UT. If OP doesn't want to work in Texas, it becomes a harder decision, though I think UT is the way to go unless Vandy increases their scholarship offer by double digits.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:54 pm

quixotical wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:
quixotical wrote:
Oh.

I think because UT is a newcomer to the T14 whereas Vanderbilt is pretty established as a solid T20 and considered an honorary T14 by some. Vandy still has more lay prestige than UT. If OP doesn't want to work in Texas, it becomes a harder decision, though I think UT is the way to go unless Vandy increases their scholarship offer by double digits.
UT is just as established a T20 as Vandy ever was. Ultimately the two are peers and will place similarly, with a focus on their particular region. However, because Texas is going to be way cheaper, it doesn't make sense to choose Vandy unless you have some compelling reason to be in Nashville.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:Texas is T14 this year.
Possibly the single worst reason to choose Texas over Vandy.
f0bolous wrote: UT is just as established a T20 as Vandy ever was. Ultimately the two are peers and will place similarly, with a focus on their particular region. However, because Texas is going to be way cheaper, it doesn't make sense to choose Vandy unless you have some compelling reason to be in Nashville.
Pretty much this.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Texas unless the money gets MUCH higher at Vandy...then it's probably just personal preference.

(I say this as someone who picked Vandy over UT at similar costs)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:35 pm

akili wrote:Texas unless the money gets MUCH higher at Vandy...then it's probably just personal preference.

(I say this as someone who picked Vandy over UT at similar costs)
Me too.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:50 am

Easily Texas, unless you are utterly opposed to the prospect of working in the state. Not saying you can't get out of Texas with a UT degree, but it will be where most of your opportunities are.

You have nothing to lose by asking if Vandy will match, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:26 am

rad law wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:Texas is T14 this year.
Possibly the single worst reason to choose Texas over Vandy.
The fact that Texas has a higher ranking than Vandy is the single worst reason to choose Texas over Vandy?

To each his own.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:45 am

LoyalRebel wrote: The fact that Texas has a higher ranking than Vandy is the single worst reason to choose Texas over Vandy?

To each his own.
Yes it is the worst reason because it is meaningless. The prospects for their grads (in their respective regions) don't hinge on what ranking USNWR assigns to these schools, they hinge on how employers view these schools, and in their respective regions these schools are peers. It wouldn't matter if the 2012 USNWR rankings put UT at #1 and Vandy at #200, they would still be peers.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:47 am

These are the answers that I kind of expected. I have no regional preference. Thanks guys.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:23 pm

TheOcho wrote:These are the answers that I kind of expected. I have no regional preference. Thanks guys.
Enjoy Austin. It's a cool place.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:34 am

f0bolous wrote: UT is just as established a T20 as Vandy ever was. Ultimately the two are peers and will place similarly, with a focus on their particular region. However, because Texas is going to be way cheaper, it doesn't make sense to choose Vandy unless you have some compelling reason to be in Nashville.
This.
bk187 wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote: The fact that Texas has a higher ranking than Vandy is the single worst reason to choose Texas over Vandy?

To each his own.
Yes it is the worst reason because it is meaningless. The prospects for their grads (in their respective regions) don't hinge on what ranking USNWR assigns to these schools, they hinge on how employers view these schools, and in their respective regions these schools are peers. It wouldn't matter if the 2012 USNWR rankings put UT at #1 and Vandy at #200, they would still be peers.
Agreed. Vandy and UT are separated in USNWR by what? A single point? The difference between their 14 and 16 ranking is a single point. And that is just for this year. These schools are too close to say one is generally better than the other. It comes down to scholarship offers and individual preferences. I am attending UT next year, but I fully believe that UT = Vandy = UCLA.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Pricer wrote:Agreed. Vandy and UT are separated in USNWR by what? A single point? The difference between their 14 and 16 ranking is a single point. And that is just for this year. These schools are too close to say one is generally better than the other. It comes down to scholarship offers and individual preferences. I am attending UT next year, but I fully believe that UT = Vandy = UCLA.
I agree that UT/Vandy/UCLA/USC should be a cluster, but I would honestly give the edge to UT/Vandy not because they are more prestigious but because they place into stronger markets at the moment. I think UCLA/USC are suffering worse than UT/Vandy because the former are place into CA and that is hurting them big time.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:32 pm

Vandy places a little better, but not 60k better. I'd go with Texas here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”