Immediate Action Necessary! Iowa vs. Case Western Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Iowa or Case Western?

Iowa with an $18,000 scholarship, in state tuition for second and third year. COA (living expenses not included) about $24,000 per year.
68%
Case Western with a $96,000 scholarship. COA about $10,000 per year.
32%

Total votes: 19

GNW

New

Immediate Action Necessary! Iowa vs. Case Western

Post by GNW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:09 pm

First post here after lurking and suggesting this site to numerous people for multiple years. The excitement is hard to contain. Anyways, here's my options. Don't mind living in Iowa City or Cleveland, or the midwest in general since I have my entire life. What I'm trying to figure out here is Iowa worth the extra debt? My main priority is job prospects. I just want a damn job when I graduate! All advice is greatly appreciated- decision must come within the next few days.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Immediate Action Necessary! Iowa vs. Case Western

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Not sure how much COL would change the price, but I'd assume that Iowa is cheaper. with that difference, I'd think the difference is worth it especially if it ends up being only about 30K total

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:49 pm

If these are your only two options, then Iowa and its not even close.

Where are you from?

GNW

New

Post by GNW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:If these are your only two options, then Iowa and its not even close.

Where are you from?
Im from meeeechigan. So basically I qualify for in state....nowhere.

And is Case that hopeless? The scholly has no stips.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:59 pm

GNW wrote:
romothesavior wrote:If these are your only two options, then Iowa and its not even close.

Where are you from?

Scholly with no stips is nice. How much is each school going to cost you exactly? I misunderstood your math, and I'm still not sure I'm totally clear. What is the total cost of attendance over 3 years (not per year)?

Neither school is great for you since you aren't from there and they're still both going to cost you a lot. Iowa is the better school overall, but I'd probably go wherever is cheapest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GNW

New

Post by GNW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
GNW wrote:

Where are you from?

Scholly with no stips is nice. How much is each school going to cost you exactly? I misunderstood your math, and I'm still not sure I'm totally clear. What is the total cost of attendance over 3 years (not per year)?

Neither school is great for you since you aren't from there and they're still both going to cost you a lot. Iowa is the better school overall, but I'd probably go wherever is cheapest.
Sorry for the confusion. Case will cost me about $30,000 and Iowa around $72,000. Those are the three year totals.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:07 pm

people like to say rankings don't matter after t16 or so and go to the school you want to practice in but if those are your only two choices, i think you should definitely go to iowa. it isn't like case western does particularly well in its region

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:12 pm

bartleby wrote:people like to say rankings don't matter after t16 or so and go to the school you want to practice in but if those are your only two choices, i think you should definitely go to iowa. it isn't like case western does particularly well in its region
Iowa doesn't either. It has no real legal market in its "home turf," it has limited national mobility, and it is pretty low on the pecking order in the primary market it feeds into (Chicago), a market which has been hit hard ITE.

A $30,000 law degree is a pretty good deal, but you are going to face an uphill battle at either school. OP, if your primary concern is getting a job (and it should be, so your head is in the right place), you should be nervous going to either one of these schools. Any chance of an improvement on a retake? And those $30k/72k totals your referred to, do they include COL?

Also, welcome to TLS.

GNW

New

Post by GNW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bartleby wrote:people like to say rankings don't matter after t16 or so and go to the school you want to practice in but if those are your only two choices, i think you should definitely go to iowa. it isn't like case western does particularly well in its region
Iowa doesn't either. It has no real legal market in its "home turf," it has limited national mobility, and it is pretty low on the pecking order in the primary market it feeds into (Chicago), a market which has been hit hard ITE.

A $30,000 law degree is a pretty good deal, but you are going to face an uphill battle at either school. OP, if your primary concern is getting a job (and it should be, so your head is in the right place), you should be nervous going to either one of these schools. Any chance of an improvement on a retake? And those $30k/72k totals your referred to, do they include COL?

Also, welcome to TLS.
Really good points, thanks. I took the lsat for the third time last week but I don't think I improved that much if at all (damn you RC and basalt/Chopin). I am truly from the school of thought that one needs to take the LSAT as many times as possible if there is any chance whatsoever of improvement and risk of a lower score is minimized. We'll see what happens in a month though. Those numbers do not include COL

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:19 pm

GNW wrote:Really good points, thanks. I took the lsat for the third time last week but I don't think I improved that much if at all (damn you RC and basalt/Chopin). I am truly from the school of thought that one needs to take the LSAT as many times as possible if there is any chance whatsoever of improvement and risk of a lower score is minimized. We'll see what happens in a month though. Those numbers do not include COL
Gotcha. Good luck with your LSAT score, hopefully it improved and you can either get more money or reapply. COL, books, fees, etc. is probably going to be in the neighborhood of ~18,000 per year, give or take a little. I would not feel comfortable paying ~125k for Iowa or ~85k for Case Western.

GNW

New

Post by GNW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:21 pm

I gotta be honest. Im surprised that Iowa is crushing this thing. Is it because their popular but overrated football team?!?! Haha

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:25 pm

ranking vs cost differential.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:33 pm

I'd probably choose Iowa but you should be fully prepared to stay and practice in the state. Don't go to Iowa thinking you're going to land Chicago because chances are that you won't.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GNW

New

Post by GNW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:37 pm

naterj wrote:I'd probably choose Iowa but you should be fully prepared to stay and practice in the state. Don't go to Iowa thinking you're going to land Chicago because chances are that you won't.
I gave up on Chicago when I received my LSAT score

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:43 pm

GNW wrote:
naterj wrote:I'd probably choose Iowa but you should be fully prepared to stay and practice in the state. Don't go to Iowa thinking you're going to land Chicago because chances are that you won't.
Pretty sure naterj meant that you most likely won't land a job in Chicago.

GNW

New

Post by GNW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:56 pm

uzpakalis wrote:
GNW wrote:
Pretty sure naterj meant that you most likely won't land a job in Chicago.
Yeah. I feel bad for people with false hope of getting a solid legal job in Chicago. I was talking to a poor soul at my lsat administration who was hoping to get there after graduating from Cooley. I just smiled and said good luck....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”