Rutgers v Seton Hall (10k scholarhsip) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DK33

New

Re: Rutgers v Seton Hall (10k scholarhsip)

Post by DK33 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Flawed Method of Reasoning #5- The argument generalizes from a sample that is not likely (or at least not necessarily) representitive.

I'm a big People's History of the U.S./Howard Zinn fan. I know the system is bullshit. Good lawyers should work to change it. Not defend to status quo. Stop hating your life/the world so much. Do something about it

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Noval wrote:
DK33 wrote:Here's the better question: Why the hell did all of you go to law school? Clearly you hate it, your miserable, and reading these posts, I wouldn't be stunned to find some of you massively angry/depressed/sad/alone. Why did you do it???????
Because i live in Canada and already got a job lined up starting at 95k/year with no debts to repay.

You will go to Rutgers, and now you allow yourself to talkshit like this on TLS ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrO5J7TdS7c
You know nothing about Jersey or the legal field there. Go stroke it to your third rate public college degree somewhere else (and for the record, I went to school in a top school in Canada, I lived there for years, and the competition there, at every level, is bush league compared to the American Northeast.

You aren't that great. Especially with the tax wedge in Canada.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Well this thread has certainly turned into an ad hominem battlefield. Any bets on how long until a lock is imposed?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:27 pm

"need help, I am a fledgling college student, who doesn't score particularly high on stardized tests.. please give best advice that would lead to high paying job, respect and admiration from friends and family, driving fancy european sports cars, and enacting "social justice."

My ONLY TWO options I will consider towards meeting my objectives are A) putting my nuts in a vice grip or B) smashing my nuts with a large, heavy boulder.. All other advice is by definition ill-suited for my purposes, thus please refrain from giving it."

ImaRooBounceBounce

New

Post by ImaRooBounceBounce » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:31 pm

DK33 wrote:I'm not trying to make 125,000 a year. I'm ok with much less. I'm from New York City, and I want to work here. But that doesn't mean "biglaw". It means law. Period. Even if that means an A.D.A. or Immigration Lawyer making 50k a year...
There is a common misconception that because public sector attorney jobs don't pay as well as biglaw that they are somehow less prestigious or competitive. I'm especially concerned because you seem to want to work in NYC. Most of the borough District Attorney's offices are very competitive and recruit heavily out of the best of the NY law schools from candidates that are interested in pursuing a career, at least initially, in public interest law. If your academic credentials aren't good enough to entertain biglaw or at least large law with a six figure salary, you can pretty much write off almost half of the most desireable public interest law jobs for law school graduates including the Manhattan District Attorney's office and most of the Legal Defense Funds.

You should also realize that the hiring policies for employers like the Department of Law can change from year to year and from administration to administration. At one time it had a policy of not hiring law school graduates and that practice could be reimplemented at any time. Also public sector jobs, be they government or public interest law group employers are subject to budgetary constraints that are only going to increase over the next few years as Albany, and therefore NYC continues to look to cut costs to stay within its budget and avoid increased deficits. That could mean significant cuts in entry level positions or even hiring freezes.

Further, most public sector employers that are willing to entertain less competive academic credentials will limit their search to those candidates with a prior history indicating dedication to public service, so if you don't have any prior work experience in the public sector that is going to count against you.

Also, you better take a long hard look at financially planning how you are going to make ends meet with six figure student debt and income of $50k or less (and I don't mean just saying "I'm used to living poor"). NALP's studies have indicated it is very difficult for a law school graduate to manage that kind of debt with anything less than $60k in annual income, and that number is skewed against you if you want to work and live in NYC where the cost of living and taxes are significantly higher than the national average. One of my friends who worked at the Brooklyn public defenders office had to take on work at nights as a bouncer just to keep his head above water.

Finally, do take note that law schools do grade on a curve that necessitates that some students must be relegated to the bottom half of the class which results in some unpleasant surprises from students who came form undergraduate programs that did not have that kind of hard curve (which constitutes most undergraduate programs). The success stories you hear are pretty much all reserved for the those in the upper half or even upper quarter of students from low ranked law schools like SH and RU. If don't do well in your first year, there is absolutely no shame in bailing and it may even be laudible as a mature and sober decision.
Last edited by ImaRooBounceBounce on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:24 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Noval wrote:
DK33 wrote:Here's the better question: Why the hell did all of you go to law school? Clearly you hate it, your miserable, and reading these posts, I wouldn't be stunned to find some of you massively angry/depressed/sad/alone. Why did you do it???????
Because i live in Canada and already got a job lined up starting at 95k/year with no debts to repay.

You will go to Rutgers, and now you allow yourself to talkshit like this on TLS ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrO5J7TdS7c
You know nothing about Jersey or the legal field there. Go stroke it to your third rate public college degree somewhere else (and for the record, I went to school in a top school in Canada, I lived there for years, and the competition there, at every level, is bush league compared to the American Northeast.

You aren't that great. Especially with the tax wedge in Canada.
I agree with you, Seton Hall makes great lawyers, especially in the U.S. Legal Market.

Looks like you're proud about the fact that finding a job in Canada is "bush league" compared to U.S.
I still agree with you, after all, i'm the retard that got BigLaw, and you're the smartass that will get OCI-Pwned.

Kthxbai.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:45 am

DK33 wrote:That encouraging. I almost pulled a 160 on a practice LSAT, but ended up w/ a 155 on the real thing. I couldn't sleep the night before. Intellectually, I think I'm capable enough. I did very well in college, 3.7. Not at Harvard or anything, I went to Baruch, but I doubled in PoliSci and Philosophy with a 4.0 in the former and merit awards in the latter.
While Rutgers is the clear choice of the two, your choice should definitely be to retake and reapply. I rarely ever say that; but with a GPA as high as yours, if you bust your ass, take a class and raise your LSAT by ten points you could be looking at Top 25 schools. Or Tier 1-2 with substantial money. There's no reason not to.

DK33

New

Post by DK33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Rule11 wrote:This flame worked? WTF?

Not sure if it was part of the flame, but just for posterity, prosecuting white collar crime is rarely going to be about social justice. The real criminals get off scot free (and usually very rich), while fallguys and whistleblowers get hard time.

You make assertions. Based on what? Speculation, conjectures, opinion. I don't really give a s**t

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:31 am

Noval wrote:
I agree with you, Seton Hall makes great lawyers, especially in the U.S. Legal Market.

Looks like you're proud about the fact that finding a job in Canada is "bush league" compared to U.S.
I still agree with you, after all, i'm the retard that got BigLaw, and you're the smartass that will get OCI-Pwned.

Kthxbai.
BigLaw in Canada is like having the biggest dick in China, not a big deal. Any decent smalltown lawyer makes only about 15-25k less than you in Jersey after a few years. And, if you are decent at it, significantly more in MedMal (and don't try to tell be "biglaw" is so fulfilling)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”