BU versus Illinois Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

which school?

BU (changed to 15 k/year in scholly)
38%
U Illinois (35k/year in scholly)
62%

Total votes: 60

TheSteelKid

Bronze

BU versus Illinois

Post by TheSteelKid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:55 pm

I currently have 35k/year scholly at UIUC and 10k/year at BU. Ive been told that my BU scholly may get increased and Im seriously hoping it does. What do u guys think of this situation? I like Chicago and champaign is alright but its a small college town. Ive never been to Boston but people say its a nice city, plus it would give me a shot at NYC, where id love to work. Also, I would rather spend 3 years in a city like boston as opposed to champaign. Thanks!
Last edited by TheSteelKid on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Re: BU versus Illinois

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Personally I'd take the extra 25K to live in a cornfield. It's not that bad in Champaign. I don't think either one are going to give you a great shot at NY though. I'd go by whether you'd rather practice in Boston or Chicago.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:01 pm

I'd take Illinois since it is far cheaper than BU. Illinois is going to cost you $75,000. BU is going to cost you $150,000+.

TheSteelKid

Bronze

Post by TheSteelKid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Yes I pretty much have my decision made for me...if BU doubles their scholly offer I will strongly consider, but only if they atleast double it.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 pm

bk187 wrote:I'd take Illinois since it is far cheaper than BU. Illinois is going to cost you $75,000. BU is going to cost you $150,000+.
This - coming from a BU student.
TheSteelKid wrote:Yes I pretty much have my decision made for me...if BU doubles their scholly offer I will strongly consider, but only if they atleast double it.
Best of luck to you. If they double the scholarship, its a tougher choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tigerbunny

New

Post by tigerbunny » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:52 pm

hi TheSteelKid,

I was going through the same thing: BU with $20,000 per year vs. UIUC with $25,000 per year.
Illinois was the first school I was accepted to, and it took a long before i heard from BU, so I thought I had no choice but to go to UIUC.. then came along a scholly offer from BU!
It was a really hard decision for me bc I went to undergrad in a pretty urban setting and thought I would have trouble adjusting to the Midwest, but my friend who lived in Chicago said she loved it there, and another friend of mine is 2L at UIUC and said she loves studying there, but had some trouble adjusting socially/culturally.
I couldn't make a decision until about a week ago, (I even paid the $1,000 nonrefundable deposits at UIUC!) but I talked to some more people and was leaning towards BU. Because:

- Most of my friends are in Columbia/NYU/Harvard so they were heavily biased towards Boston, and all of them were raving about what a great city Boston is.
- My parents told me to reapply next year when they heard I got into UIUC, even with $75,000 scholly.
- When I told my parents I got into BU, they were ecstatic and told me to book my flight tickets right away.
- I know I would suffocate in a college town. I need my movie theaters, shopping malls, and museums.
- I'm interested in international & public interest law. Both schools seem quite committed to both areas, but I was really persuaded by the BU student blogs: many of them were PI oriented and were doing great stuff (clinics, internships, pro bono, etc.).

But now my agony is over, because I just got accepted to Cornell! :D
I am extremely worried about living in Ithaca.. but hey, it's a T14 and an Ivy.
and as embarassing as this sounds, my parents are going to help me pay tuition, so I'll still go to Cornell even if I don't get get $$$ there.

hope this helps. Good luck!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:07 pm

I'd go BU. Illinois's #1 market, Chicago, was devestated by the great recession. BU and BC own Boston.

tigerbunny

New

Post by tigerbunny » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Personally I'd take the extra 25K to live in a cornfield. It's not that bad in Champaign. I don't think either one are going to give you a great shot at NY though. I'd go by whether you'd rather practice in Boston or Chicago.
True that. I agree that where you'd want to practice should be the main concern.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:21 pm

Without a scholarship increase at BU you'll need biglaw to pay back your debt. When weighing your options, if you want to go to BU make sure you are ok with working biglaw in Boston and are willing to work hard enough to get it. On the other hand, any reasonable job will allow you to pay back your debt from UIUC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:42 pm

buckilaw wrote:I'd go BU. Illinois's #1 market, Chicago, was devestated by the great recession. BU and BC own Boston.
There is this. When the numbers shake out for bigfirm hiring this year, I think BU will come out pretty high (I would guess around 30%). For the graduating class, its well, abysmal.

TheSteelKid

Bronze

Post by TheSteelKid » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:42 pm

Hopefully my scholarship at BU will be substantially increased, or else I'll more than likely be at UIUC. If I get off of the waitlist at Mich/NW thats another story but I'll have to wait and see. To be honest I don't have a huge problem with spending three years at UIUC, it won't be the best but it won't be the worst situation either. I believe I will get a good job in Chicago if I attend UIUC, and that definitely sounds good to me. However, BU has higher NLJ numbers and I've never been to Boston but would like to live there just because it's a big Northeastern city and I've heard good things from most people who comment on it. Basically, I'm hoping to get 20k/year from BU. Cmonn

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:09 am

TheSteelKid wrote:Hopefully my scholarship at BU will be substantially increased, or else I'll more than likely be at UIUC. If I get off of the waitlist at Mich/NW thats another story but I'll have to wait and see. To be honest I don't have a huge problem with spending three years at UIUC, it won't be the best but it won't be the worst situation either. I believe I will get a good job in Chicago if I attend UIUC, and that definitely sounds good to me. However, BU has higher NLJ numbers and I've never been to Boston but would like to live there just because it's a big Northeastern city and I've heard good things from most people who comment on it. Basically, I'm hoping to get 20k/year from BU. Cmonn
Don't forget CoL. Easily an extra 5k+/yr more in Boston, a VERY expensive city compared to Champaign.

As of now, I think Illinois is the choice (and I would say 25k would me the breakeven point for me). Best school for the Chicago market outside of t14 and 35k/yr means graduating with manageable levels of debt even if you don't get BigLaw. As it stands, your debt from BU means biglaw or bust. Also, I would say to visit Boston before assuming you will like it. I'm from the Northeast and do, but I don't think I could move somewhere for 3 yrs w/out ever having seen the place.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:23 am

fingersxd wrote:Don't forget CoL. Easily an extra 5k+/yr more in Boston, a VERY expensive city compared to Champaign.

As of now, I think Illinois is the choice.
Also, how attached are you to your car? Don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but it'd be a lot harder/more expensive to bring your car to Boston than to Champaign.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheSteelKid

Bronze

Post by TheSteelKid » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:41 pm

In regards to both of these statements, i do recognize the need to visit boston, and will prob take a bus up there relatively soon. Im from pittsburgh and I like the northeast so im highly confident i would enjoy boston.

Also, i dont have a car but would buy one if i go to uiuc and not if i go to bu.

As ive said numerous time before, if i can get 20k+ per year, theres a good chance ill be atwork bu. If not, uiuc it is. Thanks for your help!

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:51 pm

TheSteelKid wrote:In regards to both of these statements, i do recognize the need to visit boston, and will prob take a bus up there relatively soon. Im from pittsburgh and I like the northeast so im highly confident i would enjoy boston.

Also, i dont have a car but would buy one if i go to uiuc and not if i go to bu.

As ive said numerous time before, if i can get 20k+ per year, theres a good chance ill be atwork bu. If not, uiuc it is. Thanks for your help!
OP, good luck with your decision and let us know which you choose.

TheSteelKid

Bronze

Post by TheSteelKid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Its time to revisit this thread! I've just gotten an extra 5k/year increase at BU, making my scholarship 15k/year at BU and 35k/yr at Illinois. This makes tuition 25k per year at BU plus annual increases and 10k/year at illinois with no increases. Im still leaning towards Illinois but what do you think? At 20k/yr at BU i'll have a tough decision and at 25k ill probably go, but I dont think I'm likely to get another increase. Thoughts???

drays917

New

Post by drays917 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:38 pm

You seem pretty set on UIUC - I don't think anyone is going to be able to make a strongly persuasive case one way or the other. If you want to work in Chicago, you like the school, and you like paying less, UIUC is the better choice. If you really want to work in BigLaw, or in Boston/NYC, then BU is the better choice. Judging from your earlier posts, though, it looks like you're in the UIUC camp, which is fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:46 pm

I would still go with UIUC. Your overall Biglaw chances are higher from BU though.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Agreed: UIUC is still the better choice.

TheSteelKid

Bronze

Post by TheSteelKid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:12 pm

drays917 wrote:You seem pretty set on UIUC - I don't think anyone is going to be able to make a strongly persuasive case one way or the other. If you want to work in Chicago, you like the school, and you like paying less, UIUC is the better choice. If you really want to work in BigLaw, or in Boston/NYC, then BU is the better choice. Judging from your earlier posts, though, it looks like you're in the UIUC camp, which is fine.

Being that classes start in barely a month and that I just got back from apartment hunting at the University of Illinois last night, I am not heavily in favor of switching school choices, especially considering I've never been to Boston. I think that I would really like Boston but my guess is that I would like Chicago a bit more. Either way it really comes down to Cost of Attendance versus chances at Biglaw, and currently I'm looking at $30,000 in tuition and around 45k or 50k in additional expenses for a grand total of $80k. At BU I'm facing $80,000 in tuition with perhaps another 70k or so in living expenses which adds up to around $150 k. I'm still favoring UIUC but if BU makes me an offer I can't refuse then I'll be in a pickle.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:32 pm

Illinois is still the way to go here. Unlikely that BU will give you more than 20k/yr (assuming they increase at all) and it sounds like 25k is probably your break-even point anyway.

Just flat out tell them you can go without more $ and you'll know pretty quickly whether that is an option or not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sold123

New

Post by sold123 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Difficult to tell from your original post, but there is something to be said for attending a school that you are happy with, and enthused to be attending. In my experience, this human element is often responsible for success.

TheSteelKid

Bronze

Post by TheSteelKid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:24 pm

sold123 wrote:Difficult to tell from your original post, but there is something to be said for attending a school that you are happy with, and enthused to be attending. In my experience, this human element is often responsible for success.

I agree with this statement. I feel that as long as I am content with my job placement opportunities and I enjoy the area I'm in and people I'm around, I will have all the reason in the world to want to do well.

TheSteelKid

Bronze

Post by TheSteelKid » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Lets say that BU agrees to increase their scholarship funding to 25k/year. At that point im looking at about 53k in tuition and prob ~120 k in cost of attendance at BU versus ~80k in cost of attendance at Illinois. This may happen at which point I'll be in quite a dilemma. If this happens Im taking the first bus to Boston and deciding whether to pull the trigger!

scrowell

Bronze

Post by scrowell » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:09 pm

BU is just an awesome time. I don't think you'd regret it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”