Wanting to practice some type of Intellectual Property Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lhanvt13

Gold

Wanting to practice some type of Intellectual Property Law

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi I'm a student at Virginia Tech. I'm a rising junior in Computer Science. my GPA is not too great; 2.5, however I'm pretty sure I could bring that up. I was just wandering, since I want to go to law school, what law schools have a decent Intellectual Property program that I could maybe shoot for? nothing too crazy please.. I know I'm not gonna get in to Stanford haha ._.
oh and havnt taken any LSAT practice tests yet although I am currently working on LG
Thank you!

scammedhard

Silver

Re: Wanting to practice some type of Intellectual Property Law

Post by scammedhard » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Your GPA is way too low to get into a decent school to make law school a worthwhile investment. IMO, you have much better career prospects and opportunities if you stay in Computer Science.

ajcollege

New

Post by ajcollege » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:21 pm

scammedhard wrote:Your GPA is way too low to get into a decent school to make law school a worthwhile investment.

OP, this is a harsh but accurate statement. Fortunately, you have 2 school years to improve your GPA. Your long term plan should be roughly as follows:

1) Forget the LSAT right now. Stop studying, stop buying books. Don't think about it. \
2) Improve your GPA as much as possible between now and when you graduate. Either take as many "easy" courses as possible, or start working harder. 2.5 isn't going to cut it anywhere. You need at least a 3.x. The higher the better.
3) Get a job after you graduate, preferably hands-on in CompSci. Work this job for at least 1-2 years. Stay in Virginia, get residency.
4) After 1-2 years, if you still want to do law school, study for the LSAT. Study hard, you need at 170.
5) Now you have one, if not two, solid options, assuming you've gotten your GPA up. You can either rock a residency application to UVA (swallow your Hokie pride), or you can bank on work experience and go for NW.

Follow this and you should be all set. Don't forget to apply early in like 4-5 years.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:27 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Hi I'm a student at Virginia Tech. I'm a rising junior in Computer Science. my GPA is not too great; 2.5, however I'm pretty sure I could bring that up. I was just wandering, since I want to go to law school, what law schools have a decent Intellectual Property program that I could maybe shoot for? nothing too crazy please.. I know I'm not gonna get in to Stanford haha ._.
oh and havnt taken any LSAT practice tests yet although I am currently working on LG
Thank you!
IP firms will care about your undergrad GPA, and General Practice firms that just have IP litigation will want good law school credentials. But 2.5 in undergrad is going to make it hard to get into a decent school.

Your only hope is keeping your Virgina residency, getting a 170+ on your LSAT and applying Early Decision to UVA. I bet you still get rejected.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:16 pm

ajcollege wrote:
scammedhard wrote:Your GPA is way too low to get into a decent school to make law school a worthwhile investment.

OP, this is a harsh but accurate statement. Fortunately, you have 2 school years to improve your GPA. Your long term plan should be roughly as follows:

1) Forget the LSAT right now. Stop studying, stop buying books. Don't think about it. \
2) Improve your GPA as much as possible between now and when you graduate. Either take as many "easy" courses as possible, or start working harder. 2.5 isn't going to cut it anywhere. You need at least a 3.x. The higher the better.
3) Get a job after you graduate, preferably hands-on in CompSci. Work this job for at least 1-2 years. Stay in Virginia, get residency.
4) After 1-2 years, if you still want to do law school, study for the LSAT. Study hard, you need at 170.
5) Now you have one, if not two, solid options, assuming you've gotten your GPA up. You can either rock a residency application to UVA (swallow your Hokie pride), or you can bank on work experience and go for NW.

Follow this and you should be all set. Don't forget to apply early in like 4-5 years.

Thanks for the replies :) Yeah I understand my GPA is way too low but I still want to try pursuing it heh. My freshman year is what killed my GPA but last year I got a 3.0+ so I'm hoping this trend will stick with me. If it does then I might be able to end up with something like a 3.2~3.3. would that make things a lot better? and also if that's the case would going out of state hurt my chances?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”