. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
canuck996

New

Re: Vandy with $ or reapply to UVa ED

Post by canuck996 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:22 pm

If you are absolutely dead set on going to UVa, you may have a better chance going to Vandy and then trying to transfer to UVa than trying to get into UVa early admission next year. It seems like medians across the board go up each year, so there is certainly no guarantee of admission next year.

This would possibly give you a better chance of getting in to UVa, would also save you from wasting a year, and could possibly save you some money in the long run.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Sounds like you should probably take the money at Vandy and run, especially if you're: 1) out of LSAT attempts; 2) have nothing planned for next year; and 3) already applied ED (and not admitted) and have almost no way to improve your chances (see 1 and 2).

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:00 pm

3.84 to 3.87 is absolutely the same thing in terms of UVA and your GPA...there is absolutley no difference! Youd have to hit that 3.9+ for there to be any difference....if they didn't accept you ED this year and don't have a higher LSAT then you will not be accepted next year or now for next year....schools only want higher numbers and it will only be more competitive for next year--there is absolutely no benefit to UVA to accept you now--therefore they wont accept you now and most likely not in fall....go to Vandy or retake

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Snape wrote:3.84 to 3.87 is absolutely the same thing in terms of UVA and your GPA...there is absolutley no difference! Youd have to hit that 3.9+ for there to be any difference...
I'm not convinced this is necessarily true due to the fact that UVa has had a 3.85 median for 2 years running.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:09 pm

bk187 wrote:
Snape wrote:3.84 to 3.87 is absolutely the same thing in terms of UVA and your GPA...there is absolutley no difference! Youd have to hit that 3.9+ for there to be any difference...
I'm not convinced this is necessarily true due to the fact that UVa has had a 3.85 median for 2 years running.
i suppose if you reach 3.92+ you're at the GPA 75th, which probably makes a marginal (or more than marginal) difference in the desirability of your #s to UVa if your LSAT is 165

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:14 pm

I would be very confident in a Virginia reisdent with a 75% GPA and 165 getting in ED, however, if LSAT and GPA are both at median or below I am very confident they wont get in.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Snape wrote:I would be very confident in a Virginia reisdent with a 75% GPA and 165 getting in ED, however, if LSAT and GPA are both at median or below I am very confident they wont get in.
ok well this doesn't help at all because, as we have established, this person is neither at or below median GPA nor at the 75th percentile. so thanks for your help

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:33 pm

You really need to learn to read--if you knew how to read you would then see they have no chance at UVA...do you understand that? Need a tutor or Kaplan course for that one? Ill walk you through this one:

OP has no chance at UVA
OP is not retaking or doing anything to give him a better chance
OP is in at Vandy
OP is trying to choose to give UVA another try or go to Vandy
OP cant get UVA

all that means he should go to Vandy

If you still need more assistance I can break this down even further for you or you can buy hooked on phonics

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Snape wrote:You really need to learn to read--if you knew how to read you would then see they have no chance at UVA...do you understand that? Need a tutor or Kaplan course for that one? Ill walk you through this one:

OP has no chance at UVA
OP is in at Vandy
OP cant get UVA

If you still need more assistance I can break this down even further for you or you can buy hooked on phonics
ohai, are you talking to me? allow me to revisit what you originally posted:
Snape wrote:I would be very confident in a Virginia reisdent with a 75% GPA and 165 getting in ED, however, if LSAT and GPA are both at median or below I am very confident they wont get in.
or, "i would be very confident in a virginia resident with a 3.92 and a 165 getting in ED, however, if OP has a 165 and a GPA at 3.85 or below i am very confident they won't get in." OP has a 3.87/165, so neither of your "scenarios" even fits the person in question

ok, you can get back to fapping to ron weasley now

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:44 pm

A 165 can not be UVA's median LSAT score!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Snape wrote:You really need to learn to read--if you knew how to read you would then see they have no chance at UVA...do you understand that? Need a tutor or Kaplan course for that one? Ill walk you through this one:

OP has no chance at UVA
OP is in at Vandy
OP cant get UVA

Derp

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Snape wrote:OP is not retaking or doing anything to give him a better chance
You sure about this one?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:00 pm

Emma1 wrote:A 165 can not be UVA's median LSAT score!
no it's 170, i was focusing on the median GPA which is 3.85 right now

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:34 am

this bickering is pointless. bottom line, OP's GPA increase is so marginal (even though it take him above the median) as to be inconsequential in UVA's decision. If OP is unwilling to re-take and improve on his/her LSAT score, the ONLY chance OP has of getting in to UVA in the next cycle is to do something impressive starting ASAP (job, internship, volunteer work...but SOMETHING). Based on previous posts, it appears that OP doesn't have any such options available. Therefore, his application is unlikely to be materially strengthened, nor are his odds of acceptance any better than when s/he tried the first time around (0%).

Conclusion for OP: Go to Vandy unless you ABSOLUTELY hate the idea of being in Nashville, cream your pants thinking of UVA, and can do something to make yourself a more attractive candidate over the next 4-6 months.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:28 am

fingersxd wrote:this bickering is pointless. bottom line, OP's GPA increase is so marginal (even though it take him above the median) as to be inconsequential in UVA's decision.
I don't think you understand how medians work in relation to LS admissions.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
fingersxd wrote:this bickering is pointless. bottom line, OP's GPA increase is so marginal (even though it take him above the median) as to be inconsequential in UVA's decision.
I don't think you understand how medians work in relation to LS admissions.
I think I have a prety good idea. But going up by .03 points and being only .02 over the median is not substantial enough, IMO, to make a difference for LS admissions. Considering that the difference is so slight that it won't make ANY difference to the school's overall median (which is likely to increase anyway), I just don't see why it would be that important.

Please tell me you are not trying to say that OP's .03 GPA rise is enough to sway UVA's admissions team into accepting him/her.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:58 pm

fingersxd wrote:I think I have a prety good idea. But going up by .03 points and being only .02 over the median is not substantial enough, IMO, to make a difference for LS admissions. Considering that the difference is so slight that it won't make ANY difference to the school's overall median (which is likely to increase anyway), I just don't see why it would be that important.

Please tell me you are not trying to say that OP's .03 GPA rise is enough to sway UVA's admissions team into accepting him/her.
3.84/169 is auto reject at UVA and 3.86/170 probably gets accepted with $$ (unless they get a yp waitlist). That's how the game works. I'm not sure you understand how medians work. A jump from 3.84 to 3.85 matters alot. A jump from 3.7 to 3.84 is largely irrelevant. Consider the following hypothetical class.

If they admit 2 people with a 3.87, the median goes up. If they admit 2 people with a 3.84, the median goes down. At least 25% of UVA's class has a GPA between 3.85 and 3.92.

That said, I think OP should go to Vandy. If this year UVA wouldn't have pulled anyone off the waitlist again, then it would be different. But since they have, that leads me to believe there is something with OP's application that just doesn't resonate with the admissions folks (or at least relative to the people they did pull off). I think they would have a decent shot next cycle, but it's not worth the risk IMO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:55 pm

fingersxd wrote:Considering that the difference is so slight that it won't make ANY difference to the school's overall median (which is likely to increase anyway), I just don't see why it would be that important.
You realize that when a school has a 3.85 median, that adding a 3.87 versus a 4.0 probably have the exact same affect on the overall median?

refusetolose

New

Post by refusetolose » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Last edited by refusetolose on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
fingersxd wrote:I think I have a prety good idea. But going up by .03 points and being only .02 over the median is not substantial enough, IMO, to make a difference for LS admissions. Considering that the difference is so slight that it won't make ANY difference to the school's overall median (which is likely to increase anyway), I just don't see why it would be that important.

3.84/169 is auto reject at UVA and 3.86/170 probably gets accepted with $$ (unless they get a yp waitlist). That's how the game works. I'm not sure you understand how medians work. A jump from 3.84 to 3.85 matters alot. A jump from 3.7 to 3.84 is largely irrelevant. Consider the following hypothetical class.

If they admit 2 people with a 3.87, the median goes up. If they admit 2 people with a 3.84, the median goes down. At least 25% of UVA's class has a GPA between 3.85 and 3.92.

That said, I think OP should go to Vandy. If this year UVA wouldn't have pulled anyone off the waitlist again, then it would be different. But since they have, that leads me to believe there is something with OP's application that just doesn't resonate with the admissions folks (or at least relative to the people they did pull off). I think they would have a decent shot next cycle, but it's not worth the risk IMO.
I should have been more clear. My argument is that given that OP is below the 25% for his LSAT score, I'm not convinced that his GPA crossing the median would be sufficient for him to get accepted unless there are other 'soft' factors that also boost his odds. Yes, it unquestionably helps. I was just offering my opinion that on its own, it would be insufficient to claim that OP would have a "good" shot at UVA this fall. And I agree with you that the risk of striking out on a "decent" shot is probably not worth the reward, or the opportunity cost of 'losing' an extra year

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Go to Vandy. Just my opinion. That's if you're not retaking. If you retake into 170s then you will have better options than either of these schools.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”