GW (sticker) vs. CU ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW (sticker) vs. CU ($)

GW (sticker)
53%
CU ($)
47%

Total votes: 15

queenlizzie13

Silver

GW (sticker) vs. CU ($)

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:27 am

So I only have basically this weekend to decide as the deposits are due this week essentially. I have been all set on CU (Colorado) for the past two months, but then I got off the WL at GW and now I cannot decide.

GW at sticker makes me nervous based on the advice I've read here. CU gave me 12k for the first year, smaller amounts for every year after. Would still make it $150k in debt..GW = $210k+ in debt. I want to work in government/land use. I am from CA and have lots of connections so I could almost definitely get a job in CA (as a back up plan).

Wanted DC at start of cycle and applied to every school in the region including ED at UVA (was WL'd). I want to work in government or land use. Big law I don't really want, but might have to take it given that I'd be in over $150k of debt at both schools. Opinions would be great. Thanks!
Last edited by queenlizzie13 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Re: GW (sticker) vs. CU ($)

Post by TaipeiMort » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:05 am

Who is CU? Colorado? Cornell?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:37 am

TaipeiMort wrote:Who is CU? Colorado? Cornell?
Colorado...sorry if that wasn't clear from the original post.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:49 am

How happy would you be living in Colorado? It is a beautiful state and has an amazing new campus. But do realize you'll be stuck in the mountain west region. If you're interested in PI or gov work and only that, GW might be worth it, but the debt is staggering especially with the state of the dc legal market.

Edit: fuck mobile typing.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:54 am

$150k is too much for Colorado and $200k+ is too much for GW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:57 am

Just saw your numbers...
With a 3.9 and a 161, you need to consider retaking (october) and reapplying. With a 170 you'd have t14 lock and money at t25 and maybe t14.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:44 pm

coldshoulder wrote:How happy would you be living in Colorado? It is a beautiful state and has an amazing new campus. But do realize you'll be stuck in the mountain west region. If you're interested in PI or gov work and only that, GW might be worth it, but the debt is staggering especially with the state of the dc legal market.

Edit: fuck mobile typing.
As someone who loves the outdoors and likes running (a lot) I would be very happy working in Denver. Also I loved the campus when I visited for ASW. The law building was particularly nice.

And yes, mostly interested in government work or land use (if I want a land use job I basically have one locked up for 1L summer if I want it here in California). Still I would love the opportunity to do work in the capitol.
coldshoulder wrote:Just saw your numbers...
With a 3.9 and a 161, you need to consider retaking (october) and reapplying. With a 170 you'd have t14 lock and money at t25 and maybe t14.
Retaking/reapplying I have considered...the 161 was a retake to begin with (I took Blueprint) and did about 10 PTs other than the 4 in class. Started hitting 170s (highest was a 173) at the very end, but think that might have been too late? The only problem is I have a job that I really need to get out of and that I already told I was quitting at the end of June.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Colorado would be the easy choice for some, but it is essentially a lifestyle preference. At $150,000 total COA for all 3 years, Colorado is reasonable for those wishing to remain in the West. Sticker at GWU (approx. $225,000) is too expensive in a brutally competitive market, in my opinion.

Colorado's apps were up by 12% in this down cycle; curious as to whether or not Colorado's medians of 3.61 GPA & 164/165 LSAT increased. Have you heard anything regarding CU's medians for this application cycle ?

P.S. Visited CU's campus & law school. Both are easily in the Top 5 most beautiful settings regarding campus & law school facilities. Absolutely gorgeous.

P.P.S. I suspect that several students will have to select between Colorado & Cornell in the next two weeks as Cornell's class is not full.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Colorado would be the easy choice for some, but it is essentially a lifestyle preference. At $150,000 total COA for all 3 years, Colorado is reasonable for those wishing to remain in the West. Sticker at GWU (approx. $225,000) is too expensive in a brutally competitive market, in my opinion.

Colorado's apps were up by 12% in this down cycle; curious as to whether or not Colorado's medians of 3.61 GPA & 164/165 increased. Have you heard anything regarding CU's medians for this application cycle ?
Not yet. But I am guessing they probably will increase and the ranking will rise again instead of falling like it did this year. They also just hired a new law dean.

My lifestyle preference is to be able to run marathons, thereby working in a medium/small size firm in land use or work in government so I have time to do this. Thus, I am very debt averse. I guess I am just wondering if I am passing on my chance to go to DC forever and potentially work in cool places such as the DOJ and would regret it later down the road. But Colorado definitely suits my personality and I suppose I could always work for a government office in Denver and try and do a judicial clerkship if I get the grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Just checked cost-of-living index for Boulder & DC, as Boulder is expensive for a city of under 300,000. Boulder is at 124 (same as Anchorage, Alaska with similiar household incomes, while Wash DC is at 138 with a higher household income). Boulder, however, was recently ranked--by Forbes, I think--as the "smartest city in the country" as wellas, in a subsequent year, as the "most educated city in the US".

California ties should be strengthened starting this year as CU leaves the Big 12 & joins the PAC 12 (formerly the PAC 10). Colorado will compete athletically with Stanford, UCLA, Cal-Berkeley, USC, & the large publics in Arizona, Oregon & Washington.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Not sure, but I suspect that Colorado fell in the USNews rankings due to honest reporting & a lack of an "engineered" campaign by a law school dean. Law deans are important for directing employment efforts. It would not surprise me if Colorado Law opportunities expanded beyond the Rocky Mountain region into PAC 12 territory over the next few years due to increased exposure & joint projects within the PAC 12.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:34 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Just checked cost-of-living index for Boulder & DC, as Boulder is expensive for a city of under 300,000. Boulder is at 124 (same as Anchorage, Alaska with similiar household incomes, while Wash DC is at 138 with a higher household income). Boulder, however, was recently ranked--by Forbes, I think--as the "smartest city in the country" as wellas, in a subsequent year, as the "most educated city in the US".

California ties should be strengthened starting this year as CU leaves the Big 12 & joins the PAC 12 (formerly the PAC 10). Colorado will compete athletically with Stanford, UCLA, Cal-Berkeley, USC, & the large publics in Arizona, Oregon & Washington.
Haha, I love the PAC-10 (now PAC-12). My whole family went to PAC-10 schools. Boulder is expensive but nowhere near the cost of Southern California. I kept rent down in undergrad by living with a house of like 6-7 people. Distracting, but cheap at the same time. Will love seeing USC/UCLA/Berkeley at games and actually having football. My undergrad had none. Boo.

I can also get in-state tuition at CU after one year. Also I noticed by looking at their tuition figures, the tuition actually decreases every year and is cheapest for 3L year. And I have plenty of CA ties so I don't necessarily need more although more is always better! My friends that I run with are practically all lawyers. The running community actually has a large population of lawyers believe it or not.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:38 pm

coldshoulder wrote:Just saw your numbers...
ftfy

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:34 am

Can you get more money out of CU based on the GW acceptance? If not, I agree that the amount of debt is prohibitivr for both schools. If you can get a land use job in CA for the summer, see if they will hire you for the yr and re-Take...a few extra points plus a yr. of good work experience will almost garuntee a better cycle next yr

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Highly doubtful that Colorado would offer more merit money based on an offer from GWU. GWU, however, might offer merit money based on Colorado's offer. Beyond the Top 17 law schools, rankings don't mean as much so long as both or all schools are Tier One (top 50). Location seems to be of primary importance. If one wants the Rocky Mountain region or the West, GWU cannot match Colorado just as Colorado cannot match GWU for Wash DC & the Middle Atlantic area.

Colorado doesn't have as much scholarship money--and doesn't need it, especially this year which set a record for number of applications received.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:09 pm

neither one is worth it at those costs. there are really only two ways to pay off 210k from GW: (1) biglaw and (2) public interest. only maybe top 20% from GW have a chance at biglaw + IP people. and for public interest you have to be 100% sure you are going to do public interest.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:22 pm

What if I get $15k per year of need based aid from GWU? It would still be around $170k or more of debt though... Still a lot. Starting to think finding a better job perhaps in VA or Colorado so I can ED to UVA or GW might be better or get in state tuition right away from CU.

Even with a better score though probably wouldn't necessarily get much more aid from CU as they dont give much out.

In terms of paying off the huge debt at GW...I would be sure about PI. I want to avoid big law if I can. But no guarantee of getting that either like big law. Heard some PI jobs are just as if not more competitive as big law jobs.

Thanks for all the input so far. Consensus seems to be reapply/retake, which I may very well end up doing. However, if that was not an option, which would you guys choose out of curiosity? The poll is pretty split though comments seem to lean towards Colorado. I had other options such as UNC but I am not in-state there and therefore, the cost was about equal to Colorado. Also can't see myself working in the south.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm still on the retake wagon, but if you have to choose I'd go Colorado. It would probably suit you better, and the DC legal market is a pretty tough place to break, even from a 20 ranked school like GW.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”