Good schools for Judicial clerkship/externship Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mattviphky

Silver

Good schools for Judicial clerkship/externship

Post by mattviphky » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:31 am

Beyond Yale, of course

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Re: Good schools for Judicial clerkship/externship

Post by D-ROCCA » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:33 am

After Yale I'd probably say Harvard and Stanford, and then probably like Columbia, Chicago, NYU, followed by Michigan, Virginia, Penn, Berkley....oh wait

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:37 am

Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, then the rest of the T14. Although Duke had particularly good clerkship placement the past few years (adjusted for class size).

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:11 pm

Well it might also just be related to student interests. I hear on these forums a lot about Chicago being good for academia, for example. I was looking through school profiles and Washington and Lee had a fairly large placement for judicial clerkships, as did Notre Dame...so the ranking are not quite indicative of a school that sends a lot of people into this field.

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Everyone seems to be reading this as "good schools for judicial clerkships," which is fairly black and white.

"Good schools for judicial externships" are very different (especially in semester). Georgetown/GW would shoot up the rankings because of their DC location. Schools like Duke and Cornell may be higher ranked, but it's not like they have tons of local courts in which you can extern.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Post by D-ROCCA » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:19 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:Everyone seems to be reading this as "good schools for judicial clerkships," which is fairly black and white.

"Good schools for judicial externships" are very different (especially in semester). Georgetown/GW would shoot up the rankings because of their DC location. Schools like Duke and Cornell may be higher ranked, but it's not like they have tons of local courts in which you can extern.
Why would being in DC give you better prospects at externships? Seems like it would be the opposite actually.

xyzbca

Bronze

Post by xyzbca » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:40 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:Everyone seems to be reading this as "good schools for judicial clerkships," which is fairly black and white.

Why would being in DC give you better prospects at externships? Seems like it would be the opposite actually.
Read what xcountry said. It is pretty self-explanatory.

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:42 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:

Think of all the different courts that are located in DC. Supreme Court, Court of Appeals - DC Circuit, Federal District Court, Court of Fed Claims, all the local DC courts, etc. The list could go on and on.

How many courts do you think are located in Ithaca? Durham? Ann Arbor?

In semester, DC law students will be competing (for the most part) only with other DC law students. That means you have a lot of options and less competition. During the summer, obviously, is a whole different ball game.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:18 am

That's really interesting, I never though about opportunities during the semester for local schools

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Also, I know CU (Colorado) for example places roughly around 16% of their students in judicial clerkships according to their statistics on their website. So there are some regional schools that definitely place well in clerkships in their respective regions.

The US Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit is in is located in Denver which might help explain the high percentage of grads who do clerkships. So also look at schools with the US Court of Appeals nearby as well.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:11 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Also, I know CU (Colorado) for example places roughly around 16% of their students in judicial clerkships according to their statistics on their website. So there are some regional schools that definitely place well in clerkships in their respective regions.

The US Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit is in is located in Denver which might help explain the high percentage of grads who do clerkships. So also look at schools with the US Court of Appeals nearby as well.
Clerking =/= externing and so proximity to a circuit court means nill. Suffolk and Northeast are pretty close to the 1st Circuit, yet good luck finding any school outside of H/Y/C clerking for the 1st (of course there are exceptions).

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:39 pm

i thought externship would be a very nice way to get your foot in the door and get in good with a judge, and help lead to a clerkship. I guess the

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:43 pm

mattviphky wrote:i thought externship would be a very nice way to get your foot in the door and get in good with a judge, and help lead to a clerkship. I guess the
most art iii judges dont hire former externs

xyzbca

Bronze

Post by xyzbca » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:32 pm

dood wrote:
mattviphky wrote:i thought externship would be a very nice way to get your foot in the door and get in good with a judge, and help lead to a clerkship. I guess the
most art iii judges dont hire former externs
This is correct. Some judges go so far as to explicitly say so in job postings for externs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”