Confused 0L in need of advice... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Art Vandalay

New

Confused 0L in need of advice...

Post by Art Vandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi all! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this post belongs in this forum or the acceptances, denials forum. Anyway, I've been accepted at my state's T3 law school(also my UG), accepted at another west coast school(high tier 2, which I have ruled out b/c the COL, tuition, etc is too high), and WLed at two top 30 schools(not expecting to get in at these two).

Assuming I don't get off one of the WLs, I would be stuck returing to my UG stomping grounds for law school. The thing is, I really don't want to go there, at all. The school places well in the state but the degree isn't really marketable elsewhere, and I don't want to practice here.

I'm a non-URM just over a year out of UG, with a very strong upward grade trend, and I've taken the LSAT twice(low 150s first time, 160 second time). Unfortunately, the LSAT material was really beginning to click during the week leading up to my second test(made a 169 the Thursday before the actual test), and I really think that if I would have had another 2-3 weeks to continue studying, I could have made in the upper 160s(maybe this is wishful thinking, but, whatever).

Now, I've decided to seek the wisdom of TLS. So my question is: do I likely attend my UG's law school, or put off law school for another year and sign up for the October LSAT and dig up my study materials?

Thanks, TLS.

Grizz

Diamond

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Post by Grizz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:Hi all! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this post belongs in this forum or the acceptances, denials forum. Anyway, I've been accepted at my state's T3 law school(also my UG), accepted at another west coast school(high tier 2, which I have ruled out b/c the COL, tuition, etc is too high), and WLed at two top 30 schools(not expecting to get in at these two).

Assuming I don't get off one of the WLs, I would be stuck returing to my UG stomping grounds for law school. The thing is, I really don't want to go there, at all. The school places well in the state but the degree isn't really marketable elsewhere, and I don't want to practice here.

I'm a non-URM just over a year out of UG, with a very strong upward grade trend, and I've taken the LSAT twice(low 150s first time, 160 second time). Unfortunately, the LSAT material was really beginning to click during the week leading up to my second test(made a 169 the Thursday before the actual test), and I really think that if I would have had another 2-3 weeks to continue studying, I could have made in the upper 160s(maybe this is wishful thinking, but, whatever).

Now, I've decided to seek the wisdom of TLS. So my question is: do I likely attend my UG's law school, or put off law school for another year and sign up for the October LSAT and dig up my study materials?

Thanks, TLS.
I think you know the answer. Retake/reapply.

Art Vandalay

New

Post by Art Vandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:11 pm

rad law wrote:
Art Vandalay wrote:Hi all! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this post belongs in this forum or the acceptances, denials forum. Anyway, I've been accepted at my state's T3 law school(also my UG), accepted at another west coast school(high tier 2, which I have ruled out b/c the COL, tuition, etc is too high), and WLed at two top 30 schools(not expecting to get in at these two).

Thanks, TLS.
Thanks for the quick reply, randy savage. Would taking the test three times turn off some adcomms even if I went say, low 150s -->160-->mid/upper 160s?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Art Vandalay wrote: Thanks for the quick reply, randy savage. Would taking the test three times turn off some adcomms even if I went say, low 150s -->160-->mid/upper 160s?
Almost assuredly not.

Art Vandalay

New

Post by Art Vandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:21 pm

rad law wrote:
Art Vandalay wrote: Thanks for the quick reply, randy savage. Would taking the test three times turn off some adcomms even if I went say, low 150s -->160-->mid/upper 160s?
Almost assuredly not.
Ok. I was really set on beginning this fall, and over the last few weeks I've really been torn with this decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:21 pm

Only looks bad if you're applying somewhere around the top 6 schools I believe (search the forums a bit more for schools that take average and "holistic" approaches to evaluating LSAT scores). Every other school will want you for your high score alone.

Plus if you hit that 169 you'll get the chance to include a super sweet LSAT addendum with your application! Wooooo!

Get after it man and good luck!

Art Vandalay

New

Post by Art Vandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks for the support D&D!

Frankly, I'm terrified of pulling my LSAT books out of the drawer and starting that adventure/nightmare again... :?

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Post by D-ROCCA » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:01 pm

You must not have been lurking long enough .

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:44 am

D-ROCCA wrote:You must not have been lurking long enough .

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:00 pm

rad law wrote:
Almost assuredly not.
+1

I applied with 3 LSAT scores and it didn't really affect anything. Got into a couple of T10s and none of them inquired about it.

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:36 pm

How is your GPA?

Would a mid/high 160 score open up some T1 schools for you?

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:06 pm

protein wrote:How is your GPA?

I think a mid/high 160 score opens up a few T1 schools for everyone (IUB, etc...)

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:08 pm

OP, are you by any chance an importer/exporter?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Art Vandalay

New

Post by Art Vandalay » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:02 pm

3.3 GPA. I finished my final two year with a very strong upward grade trend and made highest honor roll my final four semesters. So I would assume a mid/high 160 score would open up some T1 schools...
chimp wrote:OP, are you by any chance an importer/exporter?
No, architect. I'm also an acquaintance of Dr. Van Nostren :wink:

Also, if I do decide to retake and reapply, can I use the letters of recommendation LSAC already has on file.

IronHBM

New

Post by IronHBM » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 am

Art Vandalay wrote:
rad law wrote:

Thanks, TLS.
Thanks for the quick reply, randy savage. Would taking the test three times turn off some adcomms even if I went say, low 150s -->160-->mid/upper 160s?
I highly doubt it would work to your detriment rather it might aid you in gaining admittance because of the steady increase in your scores. Since your GPA has also been on an incline, I don't see how a higher LSAT wouldn't benefit you. Retake/Reapply and write an addendum explaining the upward trend in your scores.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:57 am

Art Vandalay wrote: Also, if I do decide to retake and reapply, can I use the letters of recommendation LSAC already has on file.
Yes you can. I used letters of rec that were 1-2 years old. Schools prefer to see professor recs even if they are a bit older.

Art Vandalay

New

Post by Art Vandalay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 am

doinmybest wrote:
Art Vandalay wrote: Also, if I do decide to retake and reapply, can I use the letters of recommendation LSAC already has on file.
Yes you can. I used letters of rec that were 1-2 years old. Schools prefer to see professor recs even if they are a bit older.
What if reapply to some schools I previously applied to? Will admission committees be turned off by seeing a letter they've read before?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:54 am

You want advice but you won't name the schools? What is the point of that?

Art Vandalay

New

Post by Art Vandalay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:00 pm

worldtraveler wrote:You want advice but you won't name the schools? What is the point of that?
I'm not asking my chances for admission at the schools, I'm just asking would admission committees (in general) be turned off by re-reading a LOR they've already seen?

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:
doinmybest wrote:
What if reapply to some schools I previously applied to? Will admission committees be turned off by seeing a letter they've read before?
I seriously doubt it considering rec letters are a very small factor to begin with.

ArtVandalay

New

Post by ArtVandalay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:

3.3 GPA. I finished my final two year with a very strong upward grade trend and made highest honor roll my final four semesters. So I would assume a mid/high 160 score would open up some T1 schools...
chimp wrote:OP, are you by any chance an importer/exporter?
No, architect. I'm also an acquaintance of Dr. Van Nostren :wink:

Also, if I do decide to retake and reapply, can I use the letters of recommendation LSAC already has on file.
Did you really take my name?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Art Vandalay

New

Post by Art Vandalay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:08 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:Did you really take my name?
Sorry, didn't know the name was taken. I guess you must be the importer/exporter version...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:20 pm

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:23 am

Art Vandalay wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:You want advice but you won't name the schools? What is the point of that?
I'm not asking my chances for admission at the schools, I'm just asking would admission committees (in general) be turned off by re-reading a LOR they've already seen?
Hopefully, the LOR's will be going to schools that haven't seen them, i.e. better ones

Art Vandalay

New

Post by Art Vandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:10 am

chimp wrote:Image
"And you want to be my latex salesman?"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”