Chicago v. Northwestern Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
glewz

Silver

Re: Chicago v. Northwestern

Post by glewz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Go to Chicago, OP. Below are % graduates getting hired each year by NLJ 250 firms, and while the differences seem negligible, it is the case that firms will distinguish between T6 and below. You will have a better shot at high level Vault firms at Chi.

2010:
Chicago: 58.97% (rank 1)
Northwestern: 44.37% (rank 8 )
2009:
Chicago: 53.1% (rank 4)
Northwestern: 55.9% (rank 1)
2008:
Chicago: 68.6% (rank 2)
Northwestern: 62.9% (rank 5)
2007:
Chicago: 73.1% (rank 3)
Northwestern: 72.8% (rank 2)

Average % for Chicago: 63.44%
Average % for Northwestern: 58.99%

Average rank for Chicago: 2.5
Average rank for Northwestern: 4

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:59 pm

According to the above chart, Chicago is the better choice if you want biglaw & will graduate in an even numbered year; otherwise Northwestern is the better choice if graduating in an odd numbered year. Regardless, the law schools are situated in very different environments.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:According to the above chart, Chicago is the better choice if you want biglaw & will graduate in an even numbered year; otherwise Northwestern is the better choice if graduating in an odd numbered year. Regardless, the law schools are situated in very different environments.
Gona quote myself here CW, just to clarify the points I was making:
glewz wrote:Below are % graduates getting hired each year by NLJ 250 firms, and while the differences seem negligible, it is the case that firms will distinguish between T6 and below. You will have a better shot at high level Vault firms at Chi.
When comparing the two schools, students' respective career opportunities are different, regardless of whether the chart's %'s are close.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:09 pm

glewz wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:According to the above chart, Chicago is the better choice if you want biglaw & will graduate in an even numbered year; otherwise Northwestern is the better choice if graduating in an odd numbered year. Regardless, the law schools are situated in very different environments.
Gona quote myself here CW, just to clarify the points I was making:
glewz wrote:Below are % graduates getting hired each year by NLJ 250 firms, and while the differences seem negligible, it is the case that firms will distinguish between T6 and below. You will have a better shot at high level Vault firms at Chi.
When comparing the two schools, students' respective career opportunities are different, regardless of whether the chart's %'s are close.
Not hugely different, but enough that it makes Uchi the winner if you get no money at each.

I hope the OP enjoys apsergers and hyde park.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:10 pm

I go to NU, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would rather be here than UChi so much that it's not even funny (and I actually like Hyde Park). It's really important to me to enjoy the whole experience, and at NU the competitive douchebaggery is kept to a minimum. I love my classmates, it's a very collegial atmosphere, and the last thing I would want is an extra set of finals every year. For me, really enjoying my classmates and not dealing with the whole "where fun goes to die" thing is worth the slight dip in job prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I hope the OP enjoys apsergers and hyde park.
lol

no question NW's environment is awesome. garrett popcorn ftw

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I go to NU, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would rather be here than UChi so much that it's not even funny (and I actually like Hyde Park). It's really important to me to enjoy the whole experience, and at NU the competitive douchebaggery is kept to a minimum. I love my classmates, it's a very collegial atmosphere, and the last thing I would want is an extra set of finals every year. For me, really enjoying my classmates and not dealing with the whole "where fun goes to die" thing is worth the slight dip in job prospects.
But if you were at UChi we could have classes together... <3

wyoung

New

Post by wyoung » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Emma. wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I go to NU, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would rather be here than UChi so much that it's not even funny (and I actually like Hyde Park). It's really important to me to enjoy the whole experience, and at NU the competitive douchebaggery is kept to a minimum. I love my classmates, it's a very collegial atmosphere, and the last thing I would want is an extra set of finals every year. For me, really enjoying my classmates and not dealing with the whole "where fun goes to die" thing is worth the slight dip in job prospects.
SOLD! Just kidding...
But seriously, thanks everyone for taking the to post a reply and give me some much-needed advice. :) Really appreciate it!
Thank youuu <3

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Emma. wrote:
This is true and also an awesome selling point for UChi. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:16 pm

glewz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I hope the OP enjoys apsergers and hyde park.
lol

no question NW's environment is awesome. garrett popcorn ftw
It should be illegal to advertise by pumping that awesome smell on the street. I avoid that corner because it's impossible to avoid going in.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:17 pm

I don't believe Emma really exists.

I think he's another HopefulUG alt.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:25 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Chicago is better than NU in most every way academically and in employment outcomes. It is kind off like the difference between Stanford and Berkeley, or Columbia and NYU, or Princeton and Cornell, or Northwestern and WashU.
NU ~= Berkeley, so if Chicago :: NU ~= Stanford :: Berkeley, then Chicago ~= Stanford, which is quite untrue.

In reality, CCN are probably closer to MVPBDNC than they are to Y/S.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:35 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
czelede wrote:Unless Even if you really, really hate Hyde Park/UChicago or really, really love Northwestern you should probably go with Chicago.
FTFY
I honestly don't think it's worth it to go to Chicago if you really don't like it. If you're indifferent to both, then sure, but remember - these are both great schools and it's three years of your twenties you'll never get back. In my opinion it's not worth being miserable (if you should feel that you would be), especially if you don't have pipe dreams of academia.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:06 pm

OK, this thread is obviously screaming for a reality check.

Chicago wins in terms of job prospects. It wins in terms of cost, assuming no money at either place. Does it win in terms of qualify of life? Maybe not. I for one have always hated HP (so much so that i willingly commuted two hours per day all throughout 1L). But saying that NU will be oh-so-much more pleasant because people aren't as inclined to be competitive d-bags is nonsense. I've gone to Chi and met plenty of NU-ers and all that can really be said is that Chicago kids are somewhat nerdier and more (openly) academic.

There's plenty of competition at NU and there's plenty of friendliness at Chicago. the sheer fact that Chicago kids want to do well doesn't signal they're willing to screw others over - in fact, I've never seen anyone be anything but collegial.

There may be competitive d-bags at Chicago, but I certainly haven't met them. And if there are, I'm nearly certain that equivalent characters can be found at NU as well.

If you're going to worry about anything in terms of 'atmosphere,' you're better off worrying whether you'd enjoy law and econ angle on Torts/Contracts. While you're at it, you might also consider whether you're likely to enjoy doctrinal issue spotting (more likely to come up in NU exams) over nebulous policy pontifications (more likely to be stressed at Chi). Additionally, you might consider whether you're cool with having to pay a good amount of attention to prof in class (more likely to be useful at Chicago) or whether you'd prefer to hang out with supplements (more likely to work out well at NU).

But to pick NU solely because it's supposedly much friendlier over superior job prospects at a lower cost is ridiculous. And I say that as someone that likes NU just fine and has never bothered to troll for my school.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:37 pm

wyoung wrote:
Emma. wrote:
SOLD! Just kidding...
But seriously, thanks everyone for taking the to post a reply and give me some much-needed advice. :) Really appreciate it!
Thank youuu <3
I was talking to Holly.

Yeah, we could maybe have a class together!!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I don't believe Emma really exists.

Are you in town this summer?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:53 pm

Emma. wrote:

Yea, how about you? All the BP chicago kids need to meet up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:03 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Yeah, I'll be around. Working for a judge & really excited for post-work happy hours.

Moving up north (to Old Town) in a couple weeks.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Emma. wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Yeah, I'll be around. Working for a judge & really excited for post-work happy hours.

Moving up north (to Old Town) in a couple weeks.
Lemme know if you spot a 3br near you. Still haven't gotten that figured out yet...

btw, everything dresden doll has said is correct (per usual). Chicago's reputation is grossly overblown, but it is what it is. And I would comment on the rigor, but I'm currently trying to memorize property law for a closed book multiple choice exam in which the professor openly gives out OCI kisses of death. Deuces.

IndyHCKM

New

Post by IndyHCKM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:45 pm

wyoung wrote: Actually, NU seems to have a sorry-we-don't-negotiate policy, as far as I can tell. I e-mailed them a while back and that was the response I got, unfortunately.
Don't let this prevent you from attempting the negotiation. My original petition for an increase in money at one school was rejected, and then granted later on. Keep going back until the end. The worst they will do is... tell you no? Wish you would shut up?

IndyHCKM

New

Post by IndyHCKM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:57 pm

I also just ran across this study a few days ago done by Stanford and found it at least pertinent to your question. I imagine this has been posted elsewhere on TLS, but I figured I might as well provided it to you directly here.

http://faculty-gsb.stanford.edu/oyer/wp/rankings.pdf

Towards the end of the article they present "six different rankings" of law schools and then "summarize the key results" of their rankings, which are:

"- The University of Chicago Law School, Harvard Law School, and Yale Law School,relative to their sizes, are far and away the most well represented schools in BigLaw firms. This is true for BigLaw firms in general and it is especially true for the most prestigious firms and those that generate the most revenue per lawyer.

- US News law school rankings are generally good indications of how successful a school is at placing graduates in BigLaw firms.

- BigLaw firms prefer schools near large East Coast legal centers and have relatively low representation from schools on the West Coast."

Take what you will from this study and the offered conclusions. I thought it was interesting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:10 pm

First: There is no such thing as "T6" outside of people who got CCN and dream of the HLS "T3" distinction so they make up a term to make themselves feel better from their obvious peer schools of MVNDPDKGFHEW...blah blah blah

Overall no doubt Chi is above NU historically, academically, and possibly for big-law (though for big law--esp in Chicago there really isnt any difference).

Atmosphere and enjoyment of law school-->NU is one of best while Chicago is TTT--read some of the blogs about Chicago and its atmosphere (created by Scalia..HA)

Location--agian, NU is clear and above Chicago--just visit and there is no doubt

Schedule--tri-mesters at Chicago vs NORMAL at NU--do you really want to prep at 3 different times for finals each year instead of 2?

But im biased, I knew people who went to Chi and hated everything about it except its prestige so I never even bothered to apply there...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:47 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Chicago is better than NU in most every way academically and in employment outcomes. It is kind off like the difference between Stanford and Berkeley, or Columbia and NYU, or Princeton and Cornell, or Northwestern and WashU.
LOLOLOLOLOL. Srsly? :lol:

With that said, UChi is probably the practical choice here unless NU gives you some monies or you visit Chi and decide you'd without a doubt /self if you went there. ^_^ Grats on your acceptances!

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:52 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

With that said, UChi is probably the practical choice here unless NU gives you some monies or you visit Chi and decide you'd without a doubt /self if you went there. ^_^ Grats on your acceptances!
I think TaipeiMort is talking about undergraduate schools here, not law schools. Although in this case, NU and WashU throw me off since they're both very well regarded as undergraduate institutions.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:55 pm

czelede wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I think TaipeiMort is talking about undergraduate schools here, not law schools. Although in this case, NU and WashU throw me off since they're both very well regarded as undergraduate institutions.
I mean, I figured since that's the only way the statement would make sense, but it was still a lulzy comparison to read at first. :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”