What Do You Do? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Excel

New

What Do You Do?

Post by Excel » Fri May 27, 2011 3:18 am

The more I read about the future job prospect of JD students, the gloomier the outlook always seems. Yes, there was that 10% dip in applicant for the last cycle, but as a whole the industry is clearly not as booming as it once was. As the industry has changed, shouldn't the logic behind choosing a school as well? For example, in the past, the thinking has often been "big cities = big law". Now, it makes more sense to place a heavier emphasis on "big city = big cost". Realizing this means an entirely new approach to determining a schools "value". So I give you these hypothetical scenarios. I am looking for serious advice on which makes the most sense. Feel free to point of flaws in logic or whatever.

1. Admitted to NYU (or Columba) paying sticker + living. Total cost of living in excess of $200k for the 3 years spent in school. Highest chances of landing high salary, big law job, but far from guarantee. Plenty of competition for a decreasing job market. High risk, high reward choice. However, also admitted to Vanderbilt with a decent scholarship. Worse ranking and location, but you'd be paying less money in tuition and living expenses (say total cost of 3 years $100k), and you would be a "star" in the region (as opposed to competing against every elite school in the country as it would be in NYC). In actuality, chances of landing a high paying (100,000+) job out of school may actually be better, despite being out of the region, because of the star quality.

Which do you chose? Here's a second one, which will likely fit more posters.

2. Admitted to Fordham and BU at sticker price. Both are big cities with access to big law jobs upon graduation. Both come with big costs, and again, estimated total expenses for 3 years at their schools top $200,000. On top of heavy debt, enormous competition upon graduation from schools like Harvard, Columbia, NYU, and to a lesser extent, BC. On the other hand, you're admitted at sticker to Ohio State in Columbus, which is ranked lower and offers less access to big cities. However, even paying sticker price, you pay $22,000 for your final 2 years with much cheaper living expenses. Also, unlike the other schools, OSU represents the best law school in its state, giving you increased access to the top available jobs in the state compared to BU or FD.

Which do you chose? Clearly the importance one places upon region is huge here, but I find this debate compelling. In the 2nd hypothetical, logically, I find it more sound to opt to attend Ohio State for a lesser education at much less cost. The "big jobs" available might be 115-130k big compared to the 160-200k ones in NYC, but the likelihood of landing one of the big jobs seems drastically higher. Opportunities are lower, but the choice is safer. The prospect of being unemployed and up to the eye balls in debt seems significantly less.

shoeshine

Silver

Re: What Do You Do?

Post by shoeshine » Fri May 27, 2011 3:26 am

I stopped reading at admitted to NYU or Columbia. I choose the T6.

/thread

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri May 27, 2011 3:52 am

make spreadsheet in excel

8ballistic

New

Post by 8ballistic » Fri May 27, 2011 6:11 am

--ImageRemoved--

Kimchi_smile

New

Post by Kimchi_smile » Fri May 27, 2011 8:02 am

shoeshine wrote:I stopped reading at admitted to NYU or Columbia. I choose the T6.

/thread
+1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri May 27, 2011 8:04 am

I chose NYU over CLS. Now THAT is a fight worth having. :D

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri May 27, 2011 10:16 am

I chose BU over OSU. It wasn't worth staying in Ohio.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”