La Verne Admit. Is it a risk? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Allagion

New

La Verne Admit. Is it a risk?

Post by Allagion » Fri May 27, 2011 2:42 am

Last edited by Allagion on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curry

Re: La Verne Admit. Is it a risk?

Post by Curry » Fri May 27, 2011 2:45 am

Yes it is a risk. That 30% scholly stip is nasty and if something happens, you are royally fucked with a degree from La Verne.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:51 am

No, it really isn't a risk. Risk implies that there is some chance of success. La Verne gives you virtually no chance for success. I would properly define it as suicide.

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't go. I know a couple of friends who graduated from there recently and they have literally come to me crying and jobless. Also that top-30% stipulation is pretty horrible.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Fri May 27, 2011 3:09 am

i am amazed there are people who would even consider this

Curry

Post by Curry » Fri May 27, 2011 3:15 am

plum wrote:i am amazed there are people who would even consider this
He's new. He'll come around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:24 am

Do yourself a favor and do not go to La Verne.

Allagion

New

Post by Allagion » Fri May 27, 2011 3:36 am

Last edited by Allagion on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Curry

Post by Curry » Fri May 27, 2011 3:38 am

Allagion wrote:I'm not sure why there is such a negative reaction. Both of my lawyer friends gave a positive opinion of the school. Both have worked with and interacted with La Verne graduates over the years and have expressed the negative feelings reflected on this forum. My wife's cousins went to schools supposedly worse than La Verne. They went to West LA college of law, Ventura college of law, and Lincoln law school (online). None of them had connections to lawyers and are working for PI and workers comp firms. One took the bar four times. None of them really want to be lawyers and are doing it for the money and prestige. I am motivated and interested in practicing law. Drive for success should account for something.
In 2009, the market crashed and the legal world changed forever. All of your anecdotal evidence is useless. The negative reaction comes from understanding the market as it is now.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Fri May 27, 2011 3:46 am

Allagion wrote:I'm not sure why there is such a negative reaction. Both of my lawyer friends gave a positive opinion of the school. Both have worked with and interacted with La Verne graduates over the years and have not expressed the negative feelings reflected on this forum. My wife's cousins went to schools supposedly worse than La Verne. They went to West LA college of law, Ventura college of law, and Lincoln law school (online). None of them had connections to lawyers and are working for PI and workers comp firms. One took the bar four times. None of them really want to be lawyers and are doing it for the money and prestige. I am motivated and interested in practicing law. Drive for success should account for something.
LOL nice flame.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:50 am

Just in case it's not a flame I have a couple of things to add:
Allagion wrote:doing it for the money and prestige
This is probably the worst reason for someone to go to a TTTT or non-ABA approved school for that matter (Lincoln School of Law).
Allagion wrote:Drive for success should account for something.
No matter how admirable your drive for success is, your chances for vocational advancement at La Verne are bleak at best. One can honestly, with a clear conscience, even call schools like La Verne a profit-generating scam.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri May 27, 2011 3:50 am

plum wrote:
Allagion wrote:I'm not sure why there is such a negative reaction. Both of my lawyer friends gave a positive opinion of the school. Both have worked with and interacted with La Verne graduates over the years and have not expressed the negative feelings reflected on this forum. My wife's cousins went to schools supposedly worse than La Verne. They went to West LA college of law, Ventura college of law, and Lincoln law school (online). None of them had connections to lawyers and are working for PI and workers comp firms. One took the bar four times. None of them really want to be lawyers and are doing it for the money and prestige. I am motivated and interested in practicing law. Drive for success should account for something.
LOL nice flame.
lol over the top

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Fri May 27, 2011 3:58 am

Not to knock your lawyer friends, but I've noticed that people who go to T3/T4 schools, or have no sense of what the rankings are tend to say every law school is great. I think you should at least look at the employment stats and the articles coming out about what a risk law school is in general before you agree to go to La Verne. Full disclosure: I, along with a ton of other people here, have never even heard of La Verne. That's a bad sign, my friend.

Allagion

New

Post by Allagion » Fri May 27, 2011 4:05 am

Last edited by Allagion on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:07 am

Allagion wrote:Loyola, which runs a bit of a scam in their own right. They intake students with no business being at Loyola, take their money, and dump them like old racing hounds when they can't pass muster.
Yeah, Loyola is faring pretty badly too here in CA. La Verne is doing 10 times as worse.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Fri May 27, 2011 4:11 am

My grades are not good. I am taking the LSAT in 10 days, and if I don't get into the 160s and subsequently get into a Tier 2 or upper Tier 3 school, I WILL NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL. I realize even that sounds insane to a lot of TLSers, and it may be. At some point you have to come back down to reality.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:12 am

RaleighStClair wrote:My grades are not good. I am taking the LSAT in 10 days, and if I don't get into the 160s and subsequently get into a Tier 2 or upper Tier 3 school, I WILL NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL. I realize even that sounds insane to a lot of TLSers, and it may be. At some point you have to come back down to reality.
Trust me, that doesn't sound insane to a lot of TLSers.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Fri May 27, 2011 5:53 am

Avoid provisionally approved schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri May 27, 2011 7:13 am

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Fri May 27, 2011 7:33 am

RaleighStClair wrote:My grades are not good. I am taking the LSAT in 10 days, and if I don't get into the 160s and subsequently get into a Tier 2 or upper Tier 3 school, I WILL NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL. I realize even that sounds insane to a lot of TLSers, and it may be. At some point you have to come back down to reality.
do you read anything on TLS?

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:45 am

LaVerne just lost all their accreditation from what I heard.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Yup, effective June 30, 2011, LaVerne will cease to be an ABA approved law school. For how long, no one knows, maybe forever.

The last time this happened to a California school, in the mid 2000s, the California Board of Bar Examiners immediately extended their California state accreditation to the school, which was Western State. I imagine that the CBE will extend the same courtesy to LaVerne so, to the extent of eligibility for the California Bar, La Verne's post-6/30/11 grads will be unaffected.

Western State sued the ABA and negotiated a new period of provisional approval. After that, the ABA changed their rules. I don't know if LaVerne could try the same thing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:57 pm

hold out for Shirley

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:I've heard of La Verne but that's only because I'm from California. Go there if you really want but just know that 1. You are going to lose that scholarship 2. Your "lawyer friends" are not really just going to hand you a job 3. You might make 80 out of La Verne but it will be dollars per day
I've heard of La Verne but only because it's so purportedly shitty, in the same way that we know of Florida Coastal or Cooley, though La Verne doesn't advertise as well.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 pm

If you're falling all over yourself to attend a school that has to sue the ABA just to stay provisionally fucking accredited, your life took a very wrong turn somewhere.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Hm. I wonder if, for exactly the right kind of student, LaVerne's discomfiture might prove profitable. EXACTLY the right kind of student, I mean, someone without large law firm ambitions and with a decent LSAT score. I didn't pay close attention during the Western State drill but I am under the impression that Western State was forced to cut its tuition by a really substantial amount. Naturally, the tuition went right back up once the school was re-approved (and I think the school is now fully approved and no longer provisional.)

If you timed it exactly right you could pay CBE school tuition (or even less) for an ABA approved degree. Risky, of course, but the exact right kind of student might be a permanent Californian, older, say, even second career, who doesn't particularly care whether his degree is ABA or CBE. LaVerne needs to improve its Bar success rate significantly to ever hope for re-approval. They might make a very sweet offer to exactly the right kind of student.

I wouldn't expect most TLS posters to be interested nor should they be but the fit might be pretty good for one or two of them. LaVerne is a "real" law school. It's not a store front in a strip mall. The machinery is already in place for another attempt at ABA approval. Hmm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”