Illinois v LSU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Illinois v. LSU

Illinois w/15K a year
74%
LSU w/full tuition
26%

Total votes: 23

Futuristic

New

Illinois v LSU

Post by Futuristic » Fri May 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Full tuition scholly at LSU (no stips) or 15k/year at Illinois (no stips)

I have no geographic preference but my family is from Texas.
COL will also be covered for 2L and 3L.

Thanks

protein

Bronze

Re: Illinois v LSU

Post by protein » Fri May 20, 2011 4:40 pm

What do you want to do career wise?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Fri May 20, 2011 4:44 pm

There's something to be said for a free law degree, even from a lower ranked school.

That said, career prospects, and especially salaries, are going to be better out of UIUC.

If you're fine with making $60k a year in Louisiana, LSU would be a great option. If you want a little more risk for a little more reward, you'll definitely be more likely to make $$$ out of UIUC.

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Fri May 20, 2011 4:56 pm

protein wrote:What do you want to do career wise?
I'm not sure honestly. I like the opportunity of being relatively debt-free and able to make that decision down the road, but I also want to have as many options available as possible.

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Fri May 20, 2011 5:19 pm

I think LSU might actually place better in TX, maybe. However, id probably choose Illinois, more options and your debt will still be a lot lower than a majority of law students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Fri May 20, 2011 5:25 pm

uzpakalis wrote:I think LSU might actually place better in TX, maybe. However, id probably choose Illinois, more options and your debt will still be a lot lower than a majority of law students.
I agree that LSU will probably place better in TX however I could careless what state I live in. I'm leaning toward Illinois due to the fact it actually has a major market to feed into (Chicago). Although I do understand it is only the 3rd best school in-state. Thanks

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Fri May 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Congrats on LSU schooly with no stips. Usually they put a top 25% requirement on the full scholly. Might want to double check the fine print. But anyways, congrats.

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Fri May 20, 2011 5:29 pm

maxpayne wrote:Congrats on LSU schooly with no stips. Usually they put a top 25% requirement on the full scholly. Might want to double check the fine print. But anyways, congrats.
No fine print to check, I see good standing in large print. Haha...Thank you though

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Fri May 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Futuristic wrote:
maxpayne wrote:Congrats on LSU schooly with no stips. Usually they put a top 25% requirement on the full scholly. Might want to double check the fine print. But anyways, congrats.
No fine print to check, I see good standing in large print. Haha...Thank you though
If that would have been on mine, I would be a tiger at the moment instead of a mustang. LOL. Good luck buddy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Fri May 20, 2011 5:38 pm

maxpayne wrote:
Futuristic wrote:
If that would have been on mine, I would be a tiger at the moment instead of a mustang. LOL. Good luck buddy.
Yeah that's a harsh stip. If that were the case this thread wouldn't exist....mustangs? Where are you headed?

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Fri May 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Anyone else???

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri May 20, 2011 7:24 pm

You MUST have a geographic preference.

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Fri May 20, 2011 7:33 pm

rad law wrote:You MUST have a geographic preference.
Well my parents live in Texas (retired), my siblings in Atlanta, and grandparents in St.Louis. We are pretty spread out geographically and I have lived in several places (father is retired air force). With that said I honestly do not have a preference.

I would like to find employment in a larger city.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri May 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Futuristic wrote:
uzpakalis wrote:I think LSU might actually place better in TX, maybe. However, id probably choose Illinois, more options and your debt will still be a lot lower than a majority of law students.
I agree that LSU will probably place better in TX however I could careless what state I live in. I'm leaning toward Illinois due to the fact it actually has a major market to feed into (Chicago). Although I do understand it is only the 3rd best school in-state. Thanks
You can throw Michigan in as another competitor with more market strength, but Illinois is still the way to go here. An LSU degree is pretty limiting whereas one from Illinois is well respected in a much larger area

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Sun May 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Crunched some numbers and decided to add the difference between the two schools is about $90,000 over 3 years

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Mon May 23, 2011 8:55 pm

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Mon May 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Go to Illinois, we can be classmates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Mon May 23, 2011 9:03 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:Go to Illinois, we can be classmates.
Guess that does it for me! Haha...what made you decide on Illinois?

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Mon May 23, 2011 11:08 pm

Futuristic wrote:
DreamsInDigital wrote:Go to Illinois, we can be classmates.
Guess that does it for me! Haha...what made you decide on Illinois?
Honestly, every interaction with them made it really difficult to go any other way.

I was originally skeptical because I want to end up in California and Illinois seemed very regional. I still know it is, but I also know they are making every conceivable effort to broaden their base. It seems to me that if you have connections to where you want to end up and do some hustling, you should be fine.

Every current student I spoke to (from my tour guides who I am sure were coached, to the random students that showed up at the after hours event for food and booze, to the students at the latino alum association dinner I attended) had good things to say about their experience. I am personally looking for the most collegiate, amiable student body possible since I detest cut throat competition, and it seemed like Illinois fit the bill.

I like the fact that they are ok with, and even sometimes encourage, pursuing other interests that you can use with your law degree. I am personally considering getting my master in hr and industrial relations, with a focus on the labor side.

To be fair, UIUC was also amongst my best options financially, so I know your situation is much more difficult. But if the 90k isn't a deal breaker for you then Illinois might be worth the debt.

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Mon May 23, 2011 11:18 pm

^appreciate the post.

I think its just going to come down to whether I feel U of I is worth 90k worth of debt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”