U of Arizona vs Temple (in state) vs Penn State ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
haro

New

U of Arizona vs Temple (in state) vs Penn State ($$$)

Post by haro » Sat May 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Like many of you, Im faced with a difficult decision for next year.

I just graduated Temple with a business degree, and would like to attend a law school with a solid corporate law program. I am not opposed to staying in Philly; I already have a solid network in place.

My decision is between the University of Arizona at OOS sticker, Penn State with $45k or Temple at in-state tuition.

I would really like to move away from PA for awhile, since Ive lived and gone to school here my whole life. On the other hand, I have a solid network in Philly, and the cost of attendance to stay in Pennsylvania is SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than moving to Arizona. After graduation, I am willing to relocate anywhere. Any input is appreciated.
Last edited by haro on Sat May 14, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phillaw

New

Re: U of Arizona vs Temple (in state) vs Penn State ($$$)

Post by phillaw » Sat May 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Temple in-state is a steal. U of Arizona is a great school and AZ is a beautiful state (sometimes), but I would not go there if you at all plan on coming back east. If you are planning on relocating out west, it might be an option (PSU and Temple won't get you there) but even so, the price tag is still unreasonably high. Between Temple and PSU, go with the place with the cheapest cost of attendance with the least risk of losing it (i.e. GPA stipulations). So it looks like your answer is in-state at Temple. What kind of ties do you have to Delaware? That is where most corporate law is. From a purely corporate law perspective, there is no advantage gained from any of these schools--all law schools offer the necessary corporate law classes and only Penn gives anyone an advantage because of cross-registration options with Wharton--so go with the cheapest school in the region you are interested in practicing in right after graduation.

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Mon May 16, 2011 2:27 am

phillaw wrote:only Penn gives anyone an advantage because of cross-registration options with Wharton
Temple allows you to take classes at the business school. Unless you're simply referring to the market power of Wharton, in which case I agree.

haro

New

Post by haro » Wed May 18, 2011 1:24 am

Thanks for your advice phillaw.

Penn State will cost ~$10k more than Temple in the long run, which is not a great enough difference to have an impact on my decision. I mentioned previously that I have a solid network in Philly, and I can picture myself building a career here once I graduate. Many people I have spoken to, however, feel that Penn State is quickly gaining rank and prestige.

Is there detriment in choosing to leave Philly for a few years with the intention of returning once I graduate? Or, should I just have faith in the time-tested reputation of Temple Law?

Currently, Im leaning towards Temple. Im just trying to picture whether or not the decision between Penn State and Temple will have a significant impact on my situation 10 years from now. Thanks for your input.

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Wed May 18, 2011 3:04 am

haro wrote: Is there detriment in choosing to leave Philly for a few years with the intention of returning once I graduate? Or, should I just have faith in the time-tested reputation of Temple Law?
I think it really depends on how strong your network is, i.e., who exactly is in it? The collective wisdom seems to be that really strong ties can get you back to anywhere from anywhere, but the cost of that is sacrificing three years of networking in the city you actually want to work in.

I knew I wanted to end back in Philly after school, but I also had a similar dilemma of wanting, after so much time in the city, to live away from it for a bit. Ultimately, I picked Temple and I feel good about the decision. It's not thrilling, no. I would have much rather lived in NOLA for three years. But going to a regional school with the hopes of landing in a different region would have compounded the gamble I'm already taking by attending law school in the first place. It's hard to help without more information, but I think your best bet is one of the PA schools until something else is demonstrated.

Plus, few on TLS will tell you that Arizona OOS sticker is wise.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed May 18, 2011 4:10 am

Arizona has better overall job options (if you are willing to live in AZ), but not enough to make it worth sticker ITE.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”