TAships for law students? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Scipionyx

New

TAships for law students?

Post by Scipionyx » Wed May 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Anyone know at which schools it is possible, or common, for law students with experience to work at the university as teaching assistants/graduate instructors? And what kind of benefits come with it -- size of stipend, tuition waiver, etc? I saw this thread saying that at Michigan it was not only possible but seemed encouraged by the LS admissions. I haven't been able to find info about this on other school websites I've looked at, so is this an exception on Michigan's part?

On a Google search I found a page that lists a few law students at Berkeley who are instructors, but haven't found actual info on any policy from their site...

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: TAships for law students?

Post by r6_philly » Wed May 11, 2011 10:38 pm

You can do it in any of the UCs. You can probably do it at any public school since they would probably hire TAs regularly. Boalt won't let you TA in the first semester but you should be able to 2nd and onward if you have decent grades. Penn has TAs but there is no campus-wide system, you have to seek out on your own. Also I think it straight pays rather than carry tuition/fee waiver. I will probably be teaching at a different college in town if I can't find TA position that offers waiver. Check the grad divisions in your field (not law school) at the schools you are looking at and contact them directly.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”