Emory vs. Fordham Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
beatle1211

New

Emory vs. Fordham

Post by beatle1211 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to decide between Emory and Fordham. Does anyone have any insight? I do want to work in New York after I graduate, so does it make sense to go to school in a completely different region? Or does Emory's national reputation cancel out that factor? Emory's drop in rankings does concern me though... Help please! Thanks!!

dpk711

Silver

Re: Emory vs. Fordham

Post by dpk711 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:20 pm

What national reputation from Emory? Fordham for NY, although I would never go there sticker.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:23 pm

dpk711 wrote:What national reputation from Emory? Fordham for NY, although I would never go there sticker.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Fordham for NYC.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Wed May 11, 2011 2:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Fordham for NYC.
I go to Emory and this is almost certainly tcr but I'd be wary about paying sticker at Fordham.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed May 11, 2011 8:16 pm

emory is a national school. it has alumni in most states. emory ,what national reputation? is an ignorant rhetorical question by a typical self righteous/ jaded TLS user.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:56 pm

drummerboy wrote:emory is a national school. it has alumni in most states. emory ,what national reputation? is an ignorant rhetorical question by a typical self righteous/ jaded TLS user.
Just because certain regional schools are known outside of their region and have placed a small portion of their graduates outside that region does not make them national. They are still regional schools placing the vast majority of their graduates into their respective regions.

Anybody going to a regional school with the intention of using some ill perceived national prestige to help them get a job elsewhere is an idiot.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed May 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Moved for you, OP. You would be silly not to come here for NYC, though Emory has recognition in a lay sense. You still need to look at the hiring behavior of legal recruiters and what will maximize your chances at your chosen market. Emory does not deserve all the shit it gets but will still make your life more difficult if you know you want an NYC job. Go to a T14, the best regional school in your market, or someplace very cheap.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:20 pm

I had this very convo with a recruiting officer from a big NYC firm where a family friend is a partner. She said of Emory that I could get back to NYC over Notre Dame and others if I do well, but she said that Fordham is much better for NYC - like not even a question better.

Emory does open up the south for you (whatever market is left) from Atlanta down to Miami.

But if you want to work in NYC, Fordham is bar none the right call here. Fordham is a major player in NYC. If your goal is NYC, not only is Fordham head and shoulders TCR over Emory, but:

Fordham > any non t-14.

Emory can get you back to NYC, but you'd need to do really well.

Vice versa, though, Fordham prob isn't getting you to Atlanta.

However, I disagree with some posters about Fordham not being worth sticker. I think Emory and Fordham are about = personally. Emory's employment #'s scare me, but Atlanta is pretty cool.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu May 12, 2011 2:29 am

national reputation for what?

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:54 am

MrAnon wrote:national reputation for what?
I dunno, medicine, masters of public health, biomedical engineering.

*Anything that a non-retard would know---it's sad you are depressed with your liberal arts degree...

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:11 am

Emory does not have a national reputation. Educated or not, pretty much no one knows about Emory here in the West Coast. Don't joke around and don't pretend.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 am

bk187 wrote:
drummerboy wrote:emory is a national school. it has alumni in most states. emory ,what national reputation? is an ignorant rhetorical question by a typical self righteous/ jaded TLS user.
Just because certain regional schools are known outside of their region and have placed a small portion of their graduates outside that region does not make them national. They are still regional schools placing the vast majority of their graduates into their respective regions.

Anybody going to a regional school with the intention of using some ill perceived national prestige to help them get a job elsewhere is an idiot.
This statement isn't categorically true. Of course you'd be better off going to Emory vs. (say) U. Maryland for the NYC market. The first school is better, and employers know that.

The statement applies perfectly for the OP though, who is considering choosing a school in a remote location over a similarly regarded school in the market he's targeting. Even among the T13s, I think you'd be foolish to bet that way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beatle1211

New

Post by beatle1211 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 am

Ok, thanks everyone. I appreciate the honesty (even if some are a little more aggressive than others). For a little more context, the national reputation is probably due more to undergrad (top 20 vs. top 60 school here) which shouldn't really factor in anyways. But last year, Emory Law was ranked 22 and Fordham 34, and I do see that as a difference. And people are always saying that rank matters... but I guess no one else sees a big difference between the two, which is good to know.

I was also give a scholarship to Emory and it seems like they have a really strong alumni network in NYC (even if it is smaller), so that's weighing on me as well.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 am

beatle1211 wrote:Ok, thanks everyone. I appreciate the honesty (even if some are a little more aggressive than others). For a little more context, the national reputation is probably due more to undergrad (top 20 vs. top 60 school here) which shouldn't really factor in anyways. But last year, Emory Law was ranked 22 and Fordham 34, and I do see that as a difference. And people are always saying that rank matters... but I guess no one else sees a big difference between the two, which is good to know.

I was also give a scholarship to Emory and it seems like they have a really strong alumni network in NYC (even if it is smaller), so that's weighing on me as well.
How much money is it gonna cost you for each?

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Thu May 12, 2011 10:51 am

beatle1211 wrote:Ok, thanks everyone. I appreciate the honesty (even if some are a little more aggressive than others). For a little more context, the national reputation is probably due more to undergrad (top 20 vs. top 60 school here) which shouldn't really factor in anyways. But last year, Emory Law was ranked 22 and Fordham 34, and I do see that as a difference. And people are always saying that rank matters... but I guess no one else sees a big difference between the two, which is good to know.

The bolded depends. General TLS wisdom is rank matters when differentiating between T14 (or sometimes a few outside T14) and the rest, it matters when you're talking about a TTT (or, God forbid, a T4), and it matters when differentiating between HYS and the bottom of the T14. That being said, 22 v. 34, 45 v. 72, 70 v. 94 doesn't matter very much, unless you're talking schools in the same market. Emory and Fordham feed different markets. Do a surprising portion of Emory kids go to NYC? Yes, but it's because (1) Emory has a disproportionate amount of NY kids; and (2) those kids don't want to live down South. I would comment on the socioeconomic factor at play with Emory kids, too, but I think it's less of a factor than the above.

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Thu May 12, 2011 10:57 am

rank matters, but not differences such as 22 v. 34. The way employers view rank is: HYS, then rest of t14, giving little to no thought between school number 4 and school number 14. If you dont get into one of these then go to a school in the city/very close proximity in which you want to practice. In this case Fordham for NYC, Emory for Atl.

Emory/fordham are not "national law schools" in the sense that neither will impress a firm outside of its market in the way a trully national school like yale will. For every region there will be a comparable school to emory, there is no comparison for yale.

ps: enjoy nyc!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Thu May 12, 2011 11:31 am

beatle1211 wrote: I do want to work in New York after I graduate, so does it make sense to go to school in a completely different region?
I struggled with this too, but I ultimately chose Fordham over a handful of higher ranked schools because I want to be in NY after graduation. What are the costs though?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu May 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Look Emory trolls, there is no debate that Harvard, Yale, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, even Georgetown are national schools. But when you get to Vanderbilt and Texas there starts to be a small question. Certainly when you drop down to the 30s or wherever Emory is there is no question that it is not a national school. Look at its peer schools. WUSTL, Fordham, BU, BC, whatever. These are not national schools. Just the fact that this issue is debatable should end it right there. There are no threads discussing whether Harvard is a national school. There simply is no doubt. Lower tier 1 schools may be DESTINATION schools because people do come from across the country to attend them, but attracting a 3.6, 165 student from Kalamazoo who got shut out of Vanderbilt does not do anything to raise Emory's prominence. Being a destination school does not equate to being a national school. These threads are filled with people ready to hop around the country to attend NYLS, Stetson, etc. These are destination schools too nowadays, if that helps put things in perspective.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:29 pm

MrAnon wrote:Look Emory trolls, there is no debate that Harvard, Yale, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, even Georgetown are national schools. But when you get to Vanderbilt and Texas there starts to be a small question. Certainly when you drop down to the 30s or wherever Emory is there is no question that it is not a national school. Look at its peer schools. WUSTL, Fordham, BU, BC, whatever. These are not national schools. Just the fact that this issue is debatable should end it right there. There are no threads discussing whether Harvard is a national school. There simply is no doubt. Lower tier 1 schools may be DESTINATION schools because people do come from across the country to attend them, but attracting a 3.6, 165 student from Kalamazoo who got shut out of Vanderbilt does not do anything to raise Emory's prominence. Being a destination school does not equate to being a national school. These threads are filled with people ready to hop around the country to attend NYLS, Stetson, etc. These are destination schools too nowadays, if that helps put things in perspective.
Emory is not a national law school. It is at best a regional school. But in the medical/biological sciences, business, certain social sciences and liberal arts, it has national rapport. To be honest, it's (pretty decent) law school is probably its weakest professional grad school.

Also the idiocy of assuming something is a national school or not based on the US News rankings is also borderline retarded. There are far too many exceptions to that rule than I can state in a post.

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Emory is better than Fordham, but Fordham is better for working in NYC, by a large margin, just think about it, it's in NYC and there are a lot of Fordham grads at NYC firms. An Emory degree will travel better than say a University of Georgia degree, but its best potential is in its hometown market (true of almost any non T14/T10 school).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu May 12, 2011 10:59 pm

I don't agree with this. I mean, it's irrelevant to this thread b/c obviously Fordham > Emory for NYC, but I personally would rather have an Emory degree than a Fordham degree looking for work in a neutral market like Chicago or northern California.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Thu May 12, 2011 11:32 pm

flcath wrote:I don't agree with this. I mean, it's irrelevant to this thread b/c obviously Fordham > Emory for NYC, but I personally would rather have an Emory degree than a Fordham degree looking for work in a neutral market like Chicago or northern California.
You'd also be an idiot to go to Emory over, oh, I don't know, Illinois if you want to go to Chicago or one of the Cali schools for Cali.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri May 13, 2011 12:19 am

BeenDidThat wrote:
flcath wrote:I don't agree with this. I mean, it's irrelevant to this thread b/c obviously Fordham > Emory for NYC, but I personally would rather have an Emory degree than a Fordham degree looking for work in a neutral market like Chicago or northern California.
You'd also be an idiot to go to Emory over, oh, I don't know, Illinois if you want to go to Chicago or one of the Cali schools for Cali.
Yeah well no shit.

What I'm talking about is only really relevant for those who don't know where they want to go / need to change their mind during LS (due to an engagement, etc.).

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Fri May 13, 2011 12:33 am

flcath wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:
Yeah well no shit.

What I'm talking about is only really relevant for those who don't know where they want to go / need to change their mind during LS (due to an engagement, etc.).
So, what did you not agree with? Because you didn't quote anything. You just made up your own hypothetical without telling anybody where it was coming from, so I was assuming it had some kind of connection to the topic at hand. Which, apparently, it doesn't. I guess I should have noticed you saying it's irrelevant to this thread. Apologies for trying to read relevance into your off-topic musings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”