Houston in state $$ vs. Tulane $$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Houston or Tulane?

Houston in state (5k + 5k/year)
71%
Tulane (20k/year)
29%

Total votes: 14

wbt1987

New

Houston in state $$ vs. Tulane $$$

Post by wbt1987 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm looking to do IP in Houston after graduation. I understand that because of its location UH is probably going to place more lawyers into the Houston market than Tulane, but does Tulane's higher ranking merit it some consideration? Because of Houston's in-state rates, Tulane's CoA is also going to be somewhat higher, even with the scholarship, but by no means will it be crippling to me, and I'm ready to shell out the dough. Thanks in advance for the advice.

mrwarre85

Silver

Re: Houston in state $$ vs. Tulane $$$

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:46 pm

wbt1987 wrote:I'm looking to do IP in Houston after graduation. I understand that because of its location UH is probably going to place more lawyers into the Houston market than Tulane, but does Tulane's higher ranking merit it some consideration? Because of Houston's in-state rates, Tulane's CoA is also going to be somewhat higher, even with the scholarship, but by no means will it be crippling to me, and I'm ready to shell out the dough. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Do you have ties to Houston now?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed May 11, 2011 12:52 pm

wbt1987 wrote:I'm looking to do IP in Houston after graduation. I understand that because of its location UH is probably going to place more lawyers into the Houston market than Tulane, but does Tulane's higher ranking merit it some consideration? Because of Houston's in-state rates, Tulane's CoA is also going to be somewhat higher, even with the scholarship, but by no means will it be crippling to me, and I'm ready to shell out the dough. Thanks in advance for the advice.
if you plan on working in Houston, i dont understand why Tulane (esp more expensive) would be a better option. rankings dont mean nearly as much as other factors when you go below say T20 or T30 (relative to other similarly ranked schools, i dont mean to compare a T30 with a TTT)

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed May 11, 2011 12:57 pm

how much is tulane? 40k a year? if UH goes up to 30k, the COA should be around the same?

still, go to UH for sure if you know you want to end up in houston. i would probably even say go to UH regardless. hurricanes are scary.

tittsburghfeelers

Bronze

Post by tittsburghfeelers » Wed May 11, 2011 3:07 pm

bartleby wrote:how much is tulane? 40k a year? if UH goes up to 30k, the COA should be around the same?

still, go to UH for sure if you know you want to end up in houston. i would probably even say go to UH regardless. hurricanes are scary.
I agree with you that the OP should go to UH. But have you ever heard of hurricane Ike that hit Houston? It's not just NOLA that's hit by hurricanes lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed May 11, 2011 4:53 pm

tittsburghfeelers wrote:
bartleby wrote:how much is tulane? 40k a year? if UH goes up to 30k, the COA should be around the same?

I agree with you that the OP should go to UH. But have you ever heard of hurricane Ike that hit Houston? It's not just NOLA that's hit by hurricanes lol.
Yep, I went through Ike. We didn't have power for maybe 48 hours. Some people had it worst for ~ a week of no power. I'm probably overreacting because of Katrina but that is too scary.

wbt1987

New

Post by wbt1987 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks for the responses. I currently have no ties to Houston at the moment other than my love of the city and region and the huge legal market there. That being said, I also love New Orleans and if it came down to it, I don't think I would have any problem living or working there for years to come, hurricanes be damned. Basically, my main objective is landing a job after law school that will burn off my debt ASAP, and location is secondary to that.

lawboy81

New

Post by lawboy81 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Go Tulane. Houston places better in Houston, but it's still dominated by Texas, and lots of other kids from top schools are gunning for Houston. Tulane has more range than U Houston and is pretty srong generally around the Gulf.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”