HELP!! Hofstra ($$$)/Syracuse ($)/West Virginia/FIU ($$$$) ? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Hofstra v Syracuse v West Virginia v FIU ? With consideration of goals and 2L contingency plan...

Hofstra
14%
Syracuse
31%
West Virginia
11%
Florida International University
43%

Total votes: 35

GetItRight23

New

HELP!! Hofstra ($$$)/Syracuse ($)/West Virginia/FIU ($$$$) ?

Post by GetItRight23 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:36 am

Despite the conventional wisdom commonly purported on this forum, I am resigned to choosing between these schools. I intend to start law school this fall and feel the need to get my foot in the door at one of these locations. First and foremost I am from Miami and ideally intend to practice in South Florida. Due to the disparity in prestige between the schools that I have been admitted to, I find myself in an odd battle of prestige vs. location. Although I AM QUITE AWARE OF THE POTENTIAL VALUE OF RE-TAKING, THIS OPTION HAS BEEN ELIMINATED.

I also have taken into account the possibility of transferring after my 1L year, and realize as well that only a few transfer students are admitted into each program per year. That being said, a contingency plan to transfer to avoid long term debt, and open up regional opportunities has been formulated. Yes, this has been planned knowing the difficulties of landing in the top 15% due to the curve, although I intend to achieve that goal, I believe the importance of this achievement to be somewhat diluted since the ideal transfer schools would be practically lateral in terms of prestige considering the 3 target schools are still Tier 2. The goal in mind after 1 L year is to either transfer to UM, UF, FSU, or if my 1L year grades merit or permit a T-25 location.

Hofstra (20 K) vs Syracuse (13K) vs. West Virginia vs Florida International University (full scholly)

jigalion

New

Re: HELP!! Hofstra ($$$)/Syracuse ($)/West Virginia/FIU ($$$$) ?

Post by jigalion » Fri May 06, 2011 10:31 am

GetItRight23 wrote:Despite the conventional wisdom commonly purported on this forum, I am resigned to choosing between these schools. I intend to start law school this fall and feel the need to get my foot in the door at one of these locations. First and foremost I am from Miami and ideally intend to practice in South Florida. Due to the disparity in prestige between the schools that I have been admitted to, I find myself in an odd battle of prestige vs. location. Although I AM QUITE AWARE OF THE POTENTIAL VALUE OF RE-TAKING, THIS OPTION HAS BEEN ELIMINATED.

I also have taken into account the possibility of transferring after my 1L year, and realize as well that only a few transfer students are admitted into each program per year. That being said, a contingency plan to transfer to avoid long term debt, and open up regional opportunities has been formulated. Yes, this has been planned knowing the difficulties of landing in the top 15% due to the curve, although I intend to achieve that goal, I believe the importance of this achievement to be somewhat diluted since the ideal transfer schools would be practically lateral in terms of prestige considering the 3 target schools are still Tier 2. The goal in mind after 1 L year is to either transfer to UM, UF, FSU, or if my 1L year grades merit or permit a T-25 location.

Hofstra (20 K) vs Syracuse (13K) vs. West Virginia vs Florida International University (full scholly)
You've managed to incorporate almost every idea/notion that TLS advises against into one post. Bold move saying fuck retakes in red. This could be good.

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:16 am

Hahahaha

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri May 06, 2011 11:25 am

are there any stipulations on those scholarships?

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Fri May 06, 2011 11:42 am

GetItRight23 wrote:I find myself in an odd battle of prestige vs. location.
Nice try, flame. Written like an issue spotter exam question on every dumbass idea out there. Especially equating Hofstra/Cuse/WVU with prestige.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:46 am

On the off-chance that this is serious, you're going to need a higher class rank than top 15% to transfer to any school which will relieve you of any debt. HTH.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri May 06, 2011 11:54 am

Not sure if serious... but...

In the case that you're real and want to work in S. FL, take the full ride at FIU but if you lose the scholarship, I'd recommend dropping out.

Unfortunately, none of the schools you were admitted to have a prestige level that will make a noticeable difference. Hofstra and Syracuse are expensive T2s in an overcrowded market. West Virginia is probably good if you want to work in West Virginia, which you don't, and honestly, still expensive OOS (and I read on this board that it's nigh impossible to get in-state at WVU). None of these schools have a prestige level which would make any sort of difference for South Florida. If this was FIU vs. Duke, it might be a different story. If you must go this year, go to the cheap school that's in the region you want to practice.

Regarding the transfer thing, there's an 85-90% chance you will not be in a position to transfer after 1L. In the UNLIKELY circumstance you are, I strongly feel that any slight advantage in ranking that Hofstra/Syracuse/WVU would give you is not worth the greater tuition costs and sacrifice of reputation in the geographic region where you want to work.

GetItRight23

New

Post by GetItRight23 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:02 pm

@ tea drinker: stips include: Hofstra (20K) maintain a ranking within the top 66% of class
Cuse (13K) maintaining a 3.0
FIU (full scholly) good standing

@ Wholigan: Although I am not qualifying any of these schools as prominent or prestigious on an individual basis there is still a difference in prestige between Tier 2 schools (Hofstra, Syracuse, West Virginia) and a Tier 4 (FIU) located in my desired region of employment. You would be making the error of individually qualifying these schools prestige versus comparatively qualifying them in regards to each other.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:09 pm

GetItRight23 wrote:there is still a difference in prestige between Tier 2 schools (Hofstra, Syracuse, West Virginia) and a Tier 4 (FIU) located in my desired region of employment
No there isn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Fri May 06, 2011 12:16 pm

GetItRight23 wrote:@ tea drinker: stips include: Hofstra (20K) maintain a ranking within the top 66% of class
Cuse (13K) maintaining a 3.0
FIU (full scholly) good standing

@ Wholigan: Although I am not qualifying any of these schools as prominent or prestigious on an individual basis there is still a difference in prestige between Tier 2 schools (Hofstra, Syracuse, West Virginia) and a Tier 4 (FIU) located in my desired region of employment. You would be making the error of individually qualifying these schools prestige versus comparatively qualifying them in regards to each other.
First, if you are actually serious, then what snapdragon said. Second, FIU is a Tier 3. Third, you can put a really fat chick next to a slightly fatter chick and it still doesn't make her hot. I guarantee you no one in Florida is ever going to use 'prestige' in the same sentence as any of these schools, even compared with the most festering shithole out there.

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Why are you asking for advice, when you don't want to follow the best advice?

If you have to go to school, go where you won't owe any money. Do not worry about relative prestige. Do not expect transfer prospects or job prospects - but at least go where you can graduate without debt. That way you will avoid digging yourself into a big hole that you can't earn your way out of.

So FIU and stay in good standing.

Does West Virginia have a stip? If not, and you can graduate with no debt...then i guess go there. I think West Virginia is beautiful but I don't know about living and practicing law there (although I think you should go to school not expecting to get any full-time, permanent law gig.)

Good luck.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Fri May 06, 2011 12:29 pm

hofstra will give you a chance at new york, i think flordia international is real cheap, so scholly doesn't really count that much, syracuse 's tuition is outrages, and they are not giving u much money, go with hofstra, it is not great but solid

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Fri May 06, 2011 12:35 pm

I voted WVU, and I'll just advise to say screw South Florida. I know it's where you want to be, but if your REALLY want to be a lawyer, and these schools are your only options, employment HAS to trump location. WVU offers you the greatest chance for employment, albeit you will almost certainly have to remain in WV. WVU sounds like a good deal - a full ride at a school that dominates it's region.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri May 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Case2L wrote:I voted WVU, and I'll just advise to say screw South Florida. I know it's where you want to be, but if your REALLY want to be a lawyer, and these schools are your only options, employment HAS to trump location. WVU offers you the greatest chance for employment, albeit you will almost certainly have to remain in WV. WVU sounds like a good deal - a full ride at a school that dominates it's region.
I'm confused - I thought he meant he had NO money at WVU, not a fully scholly? He didn't list any stips for it..

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Fri May 06, 2011 12:47 pm

snapdragon wrote:
Case2L wrote:I voted WVU, and I'll just advise to say screw South Florida. I know it's where you want to be, but if your REALLY want to be a lawyer, and these schools are your only options, employment HAS to trump location. WVU offers you the greatest chance for employment, albeit you will almost certainly have to remain in WV. WVU sounds like a good deal - a full ride at a school that dominates it's region.
I'm confused - I thought he meant he had NO money at WVU, not a fully scholly? He didn't list any stips for it..
My bad; I misread his post. I think you're correct. I still vote WVU for the other reason I laid out - it gives OP the best shot at post-grad employment. I don't think a FIU JD will get him far, even in South Florida.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri May 06, 2011 2:39 pm

ITT: "GIVE ME ADVICE! NOT THE BEST ADVICE, BUT THE BEST OF THE WORST ADVICE!" 8)

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:41 pm

I loled very hard

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri May 06, 2011 2:54 pm

FIU is a good choice.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Fri May 06, 2011 3:53 pm

dpk711 wrote:
I loled very hard
+1

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri May 06, 2011 3:59 pm

snapdragon wrote:Not sure if serious... but...

In the case that you're real and want to work in S. FL, take the full ride at FIU but if you lose the scholarship, I'd recommend dropping out.

Unfortunately, none of the schools you were admitted to have a prestige level that will make a noticeable difference. Hofstra and Syracuse are expensive T2s in an overcrowded market. West Virginia is probably good if you want to work in West Virginia, which you don't, and honestly, still expensive OOS (and I read on this board that it's nigh impossible to get in-state at WVU). None of these schools have a prestige level which would make any sort of difference for South Florida. If this was FIU vs. Duke, it might be a different story. If you must go this year, go to the cheap school that's in the region you want to practice.

Regarding the transfer thing, there's an 85-90% chance you will not be in a position to transfer after 1L. In the UNLIKELY circumstance you are, I strongly feel that any slight advantage in ranking that Hofstra/Syracuse/WVU would give you is not worth the greater tuition costs and sacrifice of reputation in the geographic region where you want to work.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun May 08, 2011 4:41 pm

lol @ your thread. FIU I guess.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun May 08, 2011 4:51 pm

Check back with us next May when you're clinging at median and asking if there are any unpaid internships still making offers.

Though, if I had to vote, WVU...at least your cost of living is basically nothing.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon May 23, 2011 7:26 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
GetItRight23 wrote:there is still a difference in prestige between Tier 2 schools (Hofstra, Syracuse, West Virginia) and a Tier 4 (FIU) located in my desired region of employment
No there isn't.

FIU is a T3 as of this year! =) not that it makes much of a difference... but just saying. If I were you, I would go to FIU. I'm a 3L there. I turned down UM and FSU.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Mon May 23, 2011 9:16 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
No there isn't.

FIU is a T3 as of this year! =) not that it makes much of a difference... but just saying. If I were you, I would go to FIU. I'm a 3L there. I turned down UM and FSU.
Employed?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon May 23, 2011 9:20 pm

GetItRight23 wrote: Yes, this has been planned knowing the difficulties of landing in the top 15% due to the curve, although I intend to achieve that goal, I believe the importance of this achievement to be somewhat diluted since the ideal transfer schools would be practically lateral in terms of prestige considering the 3 target schools are still Tier 2.
It's not easier to "lateral" transfer. There are enough students from lower ranked schools that if you're not at LEAST in the top 20%, you aren't going anywhere.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”